Australians: Much more accepting than European football fans

Remove this Banner Ad

HomokHarcos

Senior List
May 1, 2015
Canada
AFL Club
Richmond
I've that noticed that Australians generally seem to be pretty happy when they find out a North American is into the AFL. That is very different from the reception I have received from Europeans for soccer. A lot of them will say "stick with handegg" and if you make the huge mistake of using North American terms such as overtime or call it soccer, you will receive a huge amount of backlash. It's like a lot of them for some reason don't want Americans getting into soccer.

I know this is stereotyping, but this a trend I have observed.

Ok thanks. Noted

Last edited:

I'm not sure europeans care about americans following the sport. what annoys them is when foreigners pick a huge successful club to 'support' and then tell genuine supporters of other clubs that their team is s**t. if you grew up in Paris supporting psg your whole life, and then some Barcelona fan from nowhere near Spain started telling you how s**t you were when they knocked them out of the CL, you would probably be quite pissed off.

I've that noticed that Australians generally seem to be pretty happy when they find out a North American is into the AFL. That is very different from the reception I have received from Europeans for soccer. A lot of them will say "stick with handegg" and if you make the huge mistake of using North American terms such as overtime or call it soccer, you will receive a huge amount of backlash. It's like a lot of them for some reason don't want Americans getting into soccer.

I know this is stereotyping, but this a trend I have observed.

There are many English who erroneously blame Johnny Foreigner for the price of Premier League tickets.

I'm not sure europeans care about americans following the sport. what annoys them is when foreigners pick a huge successful club to 'support' and then tell genuine supporters of other clubs that their team is s**t. if you grew up in Paris supporting psg your whole life, and then some Barcelona fan from nowhere near Spain started telling you how s**t you were when they knocked them out of the CL, you would probably be quite pissed off.
I see your point but PSG is hardly a team with a long, proud history.

A loud portion of Australian "association football" fans seem to have a small dick complex about their followed sport. Have a look at the reaction to the shitty abc coverage of a ******* friendly game. All this anger and "they disrespected our sport" crap.

So damn insecure. Btw loud portion does not imply a large portion (no pun intended).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A loud portion of Australian "association football" fans seem to have a small dick complex about their followed sport. Have a look at the reaction to the shitty abc coverage of a ******* friendly game. All this anger and "they disrespected our sport" crap.

So damn insecure. Btw loud portion does not imply a large portion (no pun intended).

It's more to do with disrespecting the teams that travel from the other side of the world to play here. Of course they're financially rewarded but if they're treated like that from the local media do you think they'd want to come out again?

To use the Moto GP as an example, if Valentino Rossi came out here to do a ride day with his fans and the media reporting was the same as it was for the Liverpool game don't you think people would be equally as annoyed?

nobody is expecting A-grade sports coverage from the ABC, but they treated the whole thing like a joke which was embarassing for all involved.

It's more to do with disrespecting the teams that travel from the other side of the world to play here. Of course they're financially rewarded but if they're treated like that from the local media do you think they'd want to come out again?

To use the Moto GP as an example, if Valentino Rossi came out here to do a ride day with his fans and the media reporting was the same as it was for the Liverpool game don't you think people would be equally as annoyed?

You're overlooking the fact that Rossi fans aren't a bunch of sub human cretins :thumbsu:

Liverpool don't care; nobody in England was watching. They got their NSW Government money for going through the motions which is why they were here.

Such an absolute madman! I want to be just like him!
Am a paid up member of an A-League club on auto-renewal. I am not out of touch with association football fans. Just recognising of a characteristic of some fans in this country which contributes to the rate of amateur and junior players who became regular attendees and watchers of the A-League so small compared to what it should be.

nobody is expecting A-grade sports coverage from the ABC, but they treated the whole thing like a joke which was embarassing for all involved.
Because it was a joke. A friendly game right after the season had ended with disinterested players. It was like an NBA all star event basically. The NBA puts out decent commentators but they spend half the game laughing and talking about random stuff. I cringed two or three years ago when Liverpool played the friendly against the Victory and the coverage made out like it was a Champions League final.

Could also compare it to the EJ Whitten game and the coverage of that certainly isn't serious either.

I agree the coverage wasn't great but fans are carrying on like it was a World Cup game. Typical tough guy fans making comments about how they wanted to meet the Asian guy and beat him up, all sorts of rubbish. A bloke I know was apologising for the coverage on Facebook acting like foreigners actually cared. The game wouldn't have gotten a single bit of attention if not for the ABC thing. I don't think a single Scouser would have given a s**t about the coverage. The season just ended over there, they've moved on to cricket or whatever else they follow in summer.

i agree that the reaction was disproportionate to how bad the coverage actually was
but I don't think 'good' coverage means 'serious' coverage, necessarily.

but yes there certainly is a portion of soccer fans that have a chip on their shoulder.
they see how important soccer is in most of the world, then how relatively unimportant it is here, and it drives them wild.
unaware that them acting like dickheads is the reason that so many people are turned off by the sport to begin with.

do people really enjoy these friendly's anyway?
Why would you want to go watch your local team get decimated by european club that is playing at about 5% intensity

Glory play Chelsea next year, I don't really want to watch the team I support get torn apart with little effort.

Glory are playing some mid-table team from the Chilean league here in July, that will actually be more fun to watch IMO.

i agree that the reaction was disproportionate to how bad the coverage actually was
but I don't think 'good' coverage means 'serious' coverage, necessarily.

but yes there certainly is a portion of soccer fans that have a chip on their shoulder.
they see how important soccer is in most of the world, then how relatively unimportant it is here, and it drives them wild.
unaware that them acting like dickheads is the reason that so many people are turned off by the sport to begin with.
That's the thing I would have taken their opinions a bit more seriously if they removed the chips from their shoulders. They were calling for SBS like coverage which would have meant pre, half and post game analysis which is just a waste of time for a friendly. The fact that it ended up on ABC2 makes me think SBS didn't give two shits about the game.

Can't stand a fair few of the Australian football fans and their chip on the shoulder mentality. It's honestly one of the reasons I've struggled to ever care about the A-League.
do people really enjoy these friendly's anyway?
Why would you want to go watch your local team get decimated by european club that is playing at about 5% intensity

Glory play Chelsea next year, I don't really want to watch the team I support get torn apart with little effort.

Glory are playing some mid-table team from the Chilean league here in July, that will actually be more fun to watch IMO.
They'd be okay if you get lucky enough to see a star giving it at bit of a crack for a half or so. Some of the friendlies also involve some young stars that are pushing for a place in the team when the real thing begins so you can maybe end up seeing a future star.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back