Socceroos Australia's 2022 WC Squad - Who will be on the plane to Qatar?

Remove this Banner Ad

Zidane98

TheBrownDog
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, LFC, MVFC, RC Strasbourg
You can decline a national call up, no one is forced to play international football.

GA has made it pretty clear he has no intention of capping players just to lock them in
, which is the right approach.

I agree on this count. But if Volpato is performing well in Serie A and Arnold believes he is good enough to make the team he should have no hesitation in selecting him.

jhong

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
I agree on this count. But if Volpato is performing well in Serie A and Arnold believes he is good enough to make the team he should have no hesitation in selecting him.
As far as I can tell , Volpato isn’t even getting on the extended bench for Roma . Did he get a run in the Italian U 21 in their last game ? ( couple of days ago ) . I’d rather reward one of our U 23 players right now . Interesting discussion topic anyway .

RedStarUncle

Senior List
May 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Not sure about that.

View attachment 1424563

To me, I read that as any registered eligible player of a club must be released if called upon by the national team.

And to me it appears that if players don't want to be called up they must come to an agreement with their national association to refuse a call up. We see this happen quite a bit with players who retire from NT duty. They can only do that by agreeing that with their football association.

They can't be forced... that's ridiculous. The player can refuse a call-up, but a club can't stop a player accepting a call-up; that's the point of the rule.

Think of Volpato as "retired" from Australia. Then think that, in three years time, he's within his rights to "unretire" from Australia if he wants (and assuming he's still eligible i.e. still an Aussie citizen and hasn't played for Italy. That's effectively his status if he refuses a call-up; he doesn't have to retire though that's not a formal process - he merely refuses the call-up.

And of course if he refuses a call-up for 3 years then suddenly turns around and says to the media he's now willing to be called up to Australia, no guarantee that the Australian coach of the time would still want him. Or the FFA might refuse the coach the luxury of picking him if they're suitably miffed.

Langerak has been retired from Australia for some time.... but if Arnie wanted him at the WC and got on the phone and talked him into it, nothing would stop him being called up to the squad.

RedStarUncle

Senior List
May 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
As far as I can tell , Volpato isn’t even getting on the extended bench for Roma . Did he get a run in the Italian U 21 in their last game ? ( couple of days ago ) . I’d rather reward one of our U 23 players right now . Interesting discussion topic anyway .

Mildly interesting topic. Whether he'd accept a call-up or not, I've only got him at best somewhere between about 22 and 25 in the squad "power rankings"..... so on current state of affairs he'd be unlikely to make a squad of 23, but a reasonable call-up for a squad of 26. Even then... you'd be thinking someone like Tillio, Wright or Luongo might be a bit annoyed to be left out for a guy with 3 professional games of football under his belt.

He'd have to be getting senior football in the early part of the season to even be a consideration for Arnie. And as discussed might not accept the call up anyway. So I don't think you can just put a line through and say he's not going to be in the squad full-stop, but whether or not he makes it isn't really the major talking point.

I think Luongo and Rogic shape up as much bigger points of discussion in the lead up to the squad being named. Former stars for Australia, but for various reasons have put themselves in a place where they're no guarantee to go to Qatar. Heard a rumour Rogic might be playing in the Indonesian league?!

Zidane98

TheBrownDog
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Socceroos, LFC, MVFC, RC Strasbourg
They can't be forced... that's ridiculous. The player can refuse a call-up, but a club can't stop a player accepting a call-up; that's the point of the rule.

Think of Volpato as "retired" from Australia. Then think that, in three years time, he's within his rights to "unretire" from Australia if he wants (and assuming he's still eligible i.e. still an Aussie citizen and hasn't played for Italy. That's effectively his status if he refuses a call-up; he doesn't have to retire though that's not a formal process - he merely refuses the call-up.

And of course if he refuses a call-up for 3 years then suddenly turns around and says to the media he's now willing to be called up to Australia, no guarantee that the Australian coach of the time would still want him. Or the FFA might refuse the coach the luxury of picking him if they're suitably miffed.

Langerak has been retired from Australia for some time.... but if Arnie wanted him at the WC and got on the phone and talked him into it, nothing would stop him being called up to the squad.

Thats not what the FIFA rules say. Retirements require the football association's agreement according to the rules.

Makeleele was a good example. FFF had accepted his retirement but then recalled him and he had to play or face time on the sidelines for Chelsea.

So without Football Australia's blessing any call up Volpato receives in a full international or FIFA approved tournament must be honoured or the player faces suspension. In effect any "retirment" of a player for national team games is a non binding gentlemans agreement.

RedStarUncle

Senior List
May 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Thats not what the FIFA rules say. Retirements require the football association's agreement according to the rules.

Makeleele was a good example. FFF had accepted his retirement but then recalled him and he had to play or face time on the sidelines for Chelsea.

So without Football Australia's blessing any call up Volpato receives in a full international or FIFA approved tournament must be honoured or the player faces suspension. In effect any "retirment" of a player for national team games is a non binding gentlemans agreement.

Ok this is slightly different - in that yes in this sense, regardless of whether a player nominally "retires" if the federation calls them up anyway they specifically can't play in FIFA sanctioned matches for a club in place of playing for their country (assuming the match is in a FIFA sanctioned international window).

So this is to stop the scenario where a club coerces a player to refuse an international call-up so they can play in a club fixture (doesn't apply much in big leagues that break for international windows, but smaller and lower leagues yes).

But it doesn't mean the player has to travel to join the international squad - it just means they can't feature in club fixtures that might coincide with the international window. He's not "suspended" and would be able to stay in Rome and train he just wouldn't be allowed to feature in fixtures.

It's a bit jerky of a federation to do what France did to Makelele... basically saying we don't accept your international retirement. It's a bit less extreme in the case of the young player (rule specifically exists for scenarios where non-European nations were struggling to get players released due to the influence of European clubs; Australia suffered a lot from this in the nineties too) but fundamentally I don't think FFA would go down that path. Ultimately they'd just be hurting Volpato's career prospects with Roma and further damaging any chance he might be willing to change allegiance back to Australia.

AJ_2000

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2007
Right Here.... Right Now.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
Tom Rogic withdrew from the Socceroos squad ahead of the play-off clashes due to personal reasons, but with an uncertain future at club level, his ticket to Qatar is not guaranteed. Since leaving Celtic at the end of the season, Rogic has been linked with a move to Indonesia. His talent warrants playing in a better league, but ultimately the decision will come down to him and it may impact his international future.

Gosh Tom, Indonesia?

Remove this Banner Ad