Socceroos Australia's 2022 World Cup Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can all breathe a huge sigh of relief - victory over Peru this morning means we're on our way to Qatar!

The question now becomes who will make the squad to represent the green and gold?

Not sure when squads are due to be announced, but for the last WC we named a 32-man preliminary squad, which was reduced to 26 and then finally to 23.

So...who are you taking? Put your predictions below and let's see how close we can get!

Tall poppy Syndrome

Senior List
Dec 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We can all breathe a huge sigh of relief - victory over Peru this morning means we're on our way to Qatar!

The question now becomes who will make the squad to represent the green and gold?

Not sure when squads are due to be announced, but for the last WC we named a 32-man preliminary squad, which was reduced to 26 and then finally to 23.

So...who are you taking? Put your predictions below and let's see how close we can get!

Well I’d like Arnie to channel the spirit of England selecting Michael Owen at the 98 World Cup - he might be the future but his time is now!

With that in mind, Garang Kuol - Get in Son!

Seriously, what do we have to lose?

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
Gonna have an early go…
1. Mat Ryan
2. Harry Souttar
3. Fran Karacic
4. Nathaniel Atkinson
5. Denis Genreau
6. Martin Boyle
7. Mathew Leckie
8. Bailey Wright
9. Jamie Maclaren
10. Ajdin Hrustic
11. Awer Mabil
12. Andrew Redmayne (you ******* ripper!!!)
13. Aaron Mooy
14. Riley McGree
15. Mitchell Duke
16. Aziz Behich
17. Kye Rowles
18. Danny Vukovic
19. Craig Goodwin
20. Trent Sainsbury
21. Adam Taggart
22. Jackson Irvine
23. Tom Rogic

Pretty safe squad and I reckon that’s our best bet of a competitive outing. Reset squad/manager after the cup.

RedStarUncle

Senior List
May 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Coach: Arnie
Unlucky: Popovic, Bielsa

Formation: 4-4-1-1 / 4-2-3-1
Unlucky: 3-5-2, 4-3-3 which would suit our squad better but never mind

GKs: Ryan, Vukovic, Redmayne (because he's a cult hero now but definitely not the third best keeper option)
Unlucky: Langerak (unlucky for us - he should be the starting keeper)

Centre-Backs: Souttar, Degenek, Sainbury, Rowles
Unlucky: Wright

Full-Backs: Karacic, Atkinson, Behich, King
Unlucky: Gersbach, Davidson (I'd take him in place of King), Smith, NOT Grant please don't pick him

Centre-Mids: Mooy, Irvine, Luongo, Stensness
Unlucky: Metcalfe, Genreau, Dougall, Jeggo I guess

Wingers and AMs: Boyle, Mabil, Leckie, Hrustic, Rogic, McGree
Unlucky: Borrello, Ikonomidis, Goodwin

Strikers: Maclaren, Duke (I'd not pick him but Arnie loves him)
Unlucky: Taggart (in as wildcard), Daggers, Rukavytsya, Juric

Wilcards (assuming FIFA increases squad size to 26): Volpato, Taggart, Brimmer
Unlucky: Kuol, Cummings, Tillio

Not sure who I've missed as possibilities? I've largely picked my guessed squad above but my team would be (3-5-2):

Ryan; Degenek, Rowles, Souttar; Atkinson, Davidson; Irvine, Mooy, Hrustic; Boyle, Rogic
Squad: Redmayne, Langerak, Sainsbury, Wright, Karacic, Behich, Smith, Luongo, Stensness, Genreau, McGree, Brimmer, Maclaren, Leckie, Taggart

Sippa

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don’t actually think it’ll be the most horrible squad based on our options … hopefully some of the European based players get a chance to put some runs on the board in their seasons early … McGree, genreau and a few others can hopefully impress for some playing time

If I’m an a league player on the cusp of the squad I’m trying to get to Europe to get some playing time in ..

Rogic, souttar and hopefully a couple young guys it might look ok … we really just lack a goal scoring option … our back and midfield options look ok

Just please please stop going to the blokes who ‘work hard’ up front . If I see duke again I’ll spew

Agree with the kuol brothers bloody do it !

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
Right Here.... Right Now.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
Can i suggest that any mention of Volpato results in a 5 day ban?

No chance he'll choose us over Italy. He ain't coming.

Same goes for any post that mentions Bielsa as manager.... if/when Arnie is done it will be a cut price journeyman or an Aussie. We don't have the $$$ anymore.

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
Don't be surprised to see some of the youth from the Olyroos Olympic squad or the u 23 team make the squad.

Marco Tilio hard the talent, quick feet and the finishing to make an impact

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
We need some Youth, something exciting to get behind, nothing like youthful confidence. Particularly up front, don't want to see McLaren, Duke or Taggart in the squad not a single one is good enough on the world stage, they've had their chance. Time for some X factor, and raw talent.

RedStarUncle

Senior List
May 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Can i suggest that any mention of Volpato results in a 5 day ban?

No chance he'll choose us over Italy. He ain't coming.

Same goes for any post that mentions Bielsa as manager.... if/when Arnie is done it will be a cut price journeyman or an Aussie. We don't have the $$$ anymore.
Ok I'll own that I brought them both up... Bielsa was in fairness in jest!

Volpato though... he'll be playing for us at this WC or next one just watch. Why is there some presumption he's good enough for Italy?

He's 18 and 3 league games for Roma. Italy national team already currently has a stack of 18-22 year old midfielders and forwards getting picked, and others already Serie A or other European top flight regulars.

Volpato is on track to be a good player in a good league, but I don't know why the assumption he'll ever play for Italy let alone become some Azzuri legend.

2022 WC probably comes too soon for him to make that realisation, but I wouldn't rule it out by any means.

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
Ok I'll own that I brought them both up... Bielsa was in fairness in jest!

Volpato though... he'll be playing for us at this WC or next one just watch. Why is there some presumption he's good enough for Italy?

He's 18 and 3 league games for Roma. Italy national team already currently has a stack of 18-22 year old midfielders and forwards getting picked, and others already Serie A or other European top flight regulars.

Volpato is on track to be a good player in a good league, but I don't know why the assumption he'll ever play for Italy let alone become some Azzuri legend.

2022 WC probably comes too soon for him to make that realisation, but I wouldn't rule it out by any means.

I did enjoy the unluckies, especially the formations.

Volpato played u20s for Italy and heres his thoughts

“It’s always been a dream of mine since I was a little kid to play for the Azzurri. Obviously the call up to the U20s, two years above my age was crazy. It was my first time ever playing with any national team, so it was a new experience for me.

“Standing there with the national anthem playing, walking through the airport with the Italian badge on and everyone looking at you – it was great!

As for the future though, I guess we have to see. At the moment I’m with Italy, and if all goes well, I’m with Italy until the end. But you never know in future. The next World Cup is in four years, anything can happen, a lot can change.
“I’m obviously rooting for Australia in the upcoming playoffs, because I want to support someone at the World Cup. And obviously I’ll be really happy if they make it!”

So he's keen to play the longer game with Italy and see if that dream materialises. If Italy aren't interested or miss the next wc then maybe he might consider us, but hes more likely to be a busy or injured or not developed if he doesn't progress.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
My Qatar 22 squad assuming everyone's fit"

Keepers

1. Mat Ryan
2. Danny Vukovic
3. Andrew Redmayne

CBs

1. Harry Souttar
2. Milos Degenek
3. Kye Roles
4. Trent Sainsbury
5. Bailey Wright

Full backs

1. Aziz Behich
2. Craig Goodwin
3. Fran Karacic
4. Nathaniel Atkinson

Midfielders

1. Tom Rogic
2. Riley McGree
3. Aaron Mooy
4. Jackson Irvine
5. Adjun Hrustic
6. Denis Genreau
7. Cristian Volpato

Forwards

1. Folami
2. Mabil
3. Maclaren
4. Leckie
5. Boyle

------------------------Ryan----------------

Karacic---------Degenek---------Souttar---------Behich

----Rogic----------Hrustic---------Irvine

---Mabil-------Boyle---------Volpato

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
I did enjoy the unluckies, especially the formations.

Volpato played u20s for Italy and heres his thoughts

“It’s always been a dream of mine since I was a little kid to play for the Azzurri. Obviously the call up to the U20s, two years above my age was crazy. It was my first time ever playing with any national team, so it was a new experience for me.

“Standing there with the national anthem playing, walking through the airport with the Italian badge on and everyone looking at you – it was great!

As for the future though, I guess we have to see. At the moment I’m with Italy, and if all goes well, I’m with Italy until the end. But you never know in future. The next World Cup is in four years, anything can happen, a lot can change.
“I’m obviously rooting for Australia in the upcoming playoffs, because I want to support someone at the World Cup. And obviously I’ll be really happy if they make it!”

So he's keen to play the longer game with Italy and see if that dream materialises. If Italy aren't interested or miss the next wc then maybe he might consider us, but hes more likely to be a busy or injured or not developed if he doesn't progress.

Every time he is quoted he sounds like a total w*nker. Australia is obviously an afterthought, no wonder he hasn't been called up. He'd be better off just keeping his mouth shut then popping up for Australia one day.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Make the call and select him. I reckon he wont be able to turn it down.
I read somewhere that Arnold asked about him for the previous Olympic squad but Roma said no way because it wasn’t an international window . Can’t verify if true or not .

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I read somewhere that Arnold asked about him for the previous Olympic squad but Roma said no way because it wasn’t an international window . Can’t verify if true or not .

They have to release him for full NT selection. So if he gets picked for the world cup the only way he can get out of it is by capping himself in full for Italy and making himself ineligible by my understanding.

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
They have to release him for full NT selection. So if he gets picked for the world cup the only way he can get out of it is by capping himself in full for Italy and making himself ineligible by my understanding.
You can decline a national call up, no one is forced to play international football.

GA has made it pretty clear he has no intention of capping players just to lock them in, which is the right approach.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You can decline a national call up, no one is forced to play international football

Not sure about that.

1655269247178.png

To me, I read that as any registered eligible player of a club must be released if called upon by the national team.

And to me it appears that if players don't want to be called up they must come to an agreement with their national association to refuse a call up. We see this happen quite a bit with players who retire from NT duty. They can only do that by agreeing that with their football association.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back