Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
You can decline a national call up, no one is forced to play international football.

GA has made it pretty clear he has no intention of capping players just to lock them in
, which is the right approach.

I agree on this count. But if Volpato is performing well in Serie A and Arnold believes he is good enough to make the team he should have no hesitation in selecting him.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
I agree on this count. But if Volpato is performing well in Serie A and Arnold believes he is good enough to make the team he should have no hesitation in selecting him.
As far as I can tell , Volpato isn’t even getting on the extended bench for Roma . Did he get a run in the Italian U 21 in their last game ? ( couple of days ago ) . I’d rather reward one of our U 23 players right now . Interesting discussion topic anyway .

RedStarUncle

Senior List
May 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Not sure about that.

View attachment 1424563

To me, I read that as any registered eligible player of a club must be released if called upon by the national team.

And to me it appears that if players don't want to be called up they must come to an agreement with their national association to refuse a call up. We see this happen quite a bit with players who retire from NT duty. They can only do that by agreeing that with their football association.

They can't be forced... that's ridiculous. The player can refuse a call-up, but a club can't stop a player accepting a call-up; that's the point of the rule.

Think of Volpato as "retired" from Australia. Then think that, in three years time, he's within his rights to "unretire" from Australia if he wants (and assuming he's still eligible i.e. still an Aussie citizen and hasn't played for Italy. That's effectively his status if he refuses a call-up; he doesn't have to retire though that's not a formal process - he merely refuses the call-up.

And of course if he refuses a call-up for 3 years then suddenly turns around and says to the media he's now willing to be called up to Australia, no guarantee that the Australian coach of the time would still want him. Or the FFA might refuse the coach the luxury of picking him if they're suitably miffed.

Langerak has been retired from Australia for some time.... but if Arnie wanted him at the WC and got on the phone and talked him into it, nothing would stop him being called up to the squad.

RedStarUncle

Senior List
May 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
As far as I can tell , Volpato isn’t even getting on the extended bench for Roma . Did he get a run in the Italian U 21 in their last game ? ( couple of days ago ) . I’d rather reward one of our U 23 players right now . Interesting discussion topic anyway .

Mildly interesting topic. Whether he'd accept a call-up or not, I've only got him at best somewhere between about 22 and 25 in the squad "power rankings"..... so on current state of affairs he'd be unlikely to make a squad of 23, but a reasonable call-up for a squad of 26. Even then... you'd be thinking someone like Tillio, Wright or Luongo might be a bit annoyed to be left out for a guy with 3 professional games of football under his belt.

He'd have to be getting senior football in the early part of the season to even be a consideration for Arnie. And as discussed might not accept the call up anyway. So I don't think you can just put a line through and say he's not going to be in the squad full-stop, but whether or not he makes it isn't really the major talking point.

I think Luongo and Rogic shape up as much bigger points of discussion in the lead up to the squad being named. Former stars for Australia, but for various reasons have put themselves in a place where they're no guarantee to go to Qatar. Heard a rumour Rogic might be playing in the Indonesian league?!

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
They can't be forced... that's ridiculous. The player can refuse a call-up, but a club can't stop a player accepting a call-up; that's the point of the rule.

Think of Volpato as "retired" from Australia. Then think that, in three years time, he's within his rights to "unretire" from Australia if he wants (and assuming he's still eligible i.e. still an Aussie citizen and hasn't played for Italy. That's effectively his status if he refuses a call-up; he doesn't have to retire though that's not a formal process - he merely refuses the call-up.

And of course if he refuses a call-up for 3 years then suddenly turns around and says to the media he's now willing to be called up to Australia, no guarantee that the Australian coach of the time would still want him. Or the FFA might refuse the coach the luxury of picking him if they're suitably miffed.

Langerak has been retired from Australia for some time.... but if Arnie wanted him at the WC and got on the phone and talked him into it, nothing would stop him being called up to the squad.

Thats not what the FIFA rules say. Retirements require the football association's agreement according to the rules.

Makeleele was a good example. FFF had accepted his retirement but then recalled him and he had to play or face time on the sidelines for Chelsea.

So without Football Australia's blessing any call up Volpato receives in a full international or FIFA approved tournament must be honoured or the player faces suspension. In effect any "retirment" of a player for national team games is a non binding gentlemans agreement.

RedStarUncle

Senior List
May 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Thats not what the FIFA rules say. Retirements require the football association's agreement according to the rules.

Makeleele was a good example. FFF had accepted his retirement but then recalled him and he had to play or face time on the sidelines for Chelsea.

So without Football Australia's blessing any call up Volpato receives in a full international or FIFA approved tournament must be honoured or the player faces suspension. In effect any "retirment" of a player for national team games is a non binding gentlemans agreement.

Ok this is slightly different - in that yes in this sense, regardless of whether a player nominally "retires" if the federation calls them up anyway they specifically can't play in FIFA sanctioned matches for a club in place of playing for their country (assuming the match is in a FIFA sanctioned international window).

So this is to stop the scenario where a club coerces a player to refuse an international call-up so they can play in a club fixture (doesn't apply much in big leagues that break for international windows, but smaller and lower leagues yes).

But it doesn't mean the player has to travel to join the international squad - it just means they can't feature in club fixtures that might coincide with the international window. He's not "suspended" and would be able to stay in Rome and train he just wouldn't be allowed to feature in fixtures.

It's a bit jerky of a federation to do what France did to Makelele... basically saying we don't accept your international retirement. It's a bit less extreme in the case of the young player (rule specifically exists for scenarios where non-European nations were struggling to get players released due to the influence of European clubs; Australia suffered a lot from this in the nineties too) but fundamentally I don't think FFA would go down that path. Ultimately they'd just be hurting Volpato's career prospects with Roma and further damaging any chance he might be willing to change allegiance back to Australia.

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
Right Here.... Right Now.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
Tom Rogic withdrew from the Socceroos squad ahead of the play-off clashes due to personal reasons, but with an uncertain future at club level, his ticket to Qatar is not guaranteed. Since leaving Celtic at the end of the season, Rogic has been linked with a move to Indonesia. His talent warrants playing in a better league, but ultimately the decision will come down to him and it may impact his international future.

Gosh Tom, Indonesia?

RedStarUncle

Senior List
May 1, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Coach: Arnie
Unlucky: Popovic, Bielsa

Formation: 4-4-1-1 / 4-2-3-1
Unlucky: 3-5-2, 4-3-3 which would suit our squad better but never mind

GKs: Ryan, Langerak Vukovic, Redmayne (because he's a cult hero now but definitely not the third best keeper option)
Unlucky: Langerak (unlucky for us - he should be the starting keeper) Vukovic

Centre-Backs: Souttar, Degenek, Sainbury, Rowles
Unlucky: Wright, Deng

Full-Backs: Karacic, Atkinson, Behich, King
Unlucky: Gersbach, Strain, Davidson (I'd take him in place of King), Smith, NOT Grant please don't pick him

Centre-Mids: Mooy, Irvine, Luongo, Stensness, Genreau
Unlucky: Metcalfe, Stensness, Genreau, Dougall, Jeggo I guess

Wingers and AMs: Boyle, Mabil, Leckie, Hrustic, Rogic, McGree
Unlucky: Borrello, Ikonomidis, Goodwin

Strikers: Maclaren, Duke (I'd not pick him but Arnie loves him)
Unlucky: Taggart (in as wildcard), Daggers, Rukavytsya, Juric

Wilcards (assuming FIFA increases squad size to 26): Volpato, Taggart, Brimmer, Kuol, Cummings, Devlin
Unlucky: Kuol, Cummings, Tillio, Volpato, Brimmer

Not sure who I've missed as possibilities? I've largely picked my guessed squad above but my team would be (3-5-2):

Ryan; Degenek, Rowles, Souttar; Atkinson, Davidson; Irvine, Mooy, Hrustic; Boyle, Rogic
Squad: Redmayne, Langerak, Sainsbury, Wright, Karacic, Behich, Smith, Luongo, Stensness, Genreau, McGree, Brimmer, Maclaren, Leckie, Taggart

Updated after the friendlies against NZ. Kuol and Cummings the big winners plus Devlin who comes in from out of my original candidates list.

Changes:
- Langerak in for Vukovic obvious now that Langerak is available again
- Deng and Strain make cases for the defence but I stick with my original 8 I predicted to be picked
- Stensness not even in the squad and off the radar... so he drops out for Genreau
- Taggart, Brimmer and Volpato drop out as the 'bonus' extra 3 squad members for Kuol, Cummings and Devlin who all bring some nice X-factor in the middle and forward line

Wright, Strain, Gersbach, Metcalfe and Taggart the backups in the CB, LB, CB, CM and CF positions and unluckist to miss out.

Kuol and Devlin in particular for me now must-picks. Cummings I could still imagine picking the safer choice Taggart instead. Sainsbury was shaky and Wright or Deng could push him out or come in if Souttar/Rowles aren't back playing club football in time.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I feel so old... after decades of heartache, we're now in a position where we can barely care about the World Cup because the team is average, and even worse, the manager ******* sucks. I picture this World Cup being worse for us than South Africa and Brazil were, we might well be the 31st or 32nd best team this time around.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
We better have better CBs than Sainsbury and Kuol must be picked. Not just him, any exciting, direct player with rapid pace must be picked in the front 3rd. We know Leckie isnt good enough, why not pick some blokes with a high ceiling and seeing what happens.

Id be playing McGree over Mooy or Irvine too i think. Not 100% on this but leaning that way

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
I feel so old... after decades of heartache, we're now in a position where we can barely care about the World Cup because the team is average, and even worse, the manager ******* sucks. I picture this World Cup being worse for us than South Africa and Brazil were, we might well be the 31st or 32nd best team this time around.

I get the feeling that there will be a lot of the powerhouses struggling at the WC this year, and there won't be too many easy games.

So whilst it might be out weakest team, it might still get a result it two.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Other than the Peru game we didn't play badly in Russia.
Bit hard when your opposition is France and Denmark though, all they need is 15 world class minutes and it's game over.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
We better have better CBs than Sainsbury and Kuol must be picked. Not just him, any exciting, direct player with rapid pace must be picked in the front 3rd. We know Leckie isnt good enough, why not pick some blokes with a high ceiling and seeing what happens.

Id be playing McGree over Mooy or Irvine too i think. Not 100% on this but leaning that way
If Azani is back to full fitness should be on the plane before Leckie

Also I'm starting Kuoll, no point in having Taggart or McLaren up front to start a match

Also Irvine should be a bench player, I'm amazed he's started as many games as he has for Australia

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
If Azani is back to full fitness should be on the plane before Leckie

Also I'm starting Kuoll, no point in having Taggart or McLaren up front to start a match

Also Irvine should be a bench player, I'm amazed he's started as many games as he has for Australia

Can't start Kuol. He's a dynamo that will be great off the bench, getting in behind tired defenders with his pace and craft.

Let guys like Taggert and Leckie do the hard running for the first 70 mins, play a tight game and then unleash the youth off the bench. But similar to Adelaide Utd last season.

Squad of 26 being named on Tuesday. My guess...

GK

1. Mat Ryan
2. Mitch Langerak
3. Andrew Redmayne

Pretty self-explanatory here. Third string keeper the only query but I can't see the grey Wiggle not being on the plane.

DEF

4. Trent Sainsbury
5. Harry Souttar
6. Kye Rowles
7. Milos Degenek

Yuck, there's a lot of uncertainty with our CBs. Despite poor recent form and his domestic season already being over, I'd say Sainsbury is a lock for the squad. Souttar is on the way back from a knee injury, whether he's fit to start our first game remains to be seen but he'll be in the squad. Rowles was very impressive pre-injury but has to be under an injury cloud.

The other options aren't particularly inspiring. I've gone with Degenek purely because he's been there before and he at least has been playing consistently for his club. Deng and Delbridge next in line, with the latter in particular a real chance if Arnold prioritizes fitness and playing time.

8. Aziz Behich
9. Joel King

Behich is a lock and I can't see anyone overtaking King for the backup spot, especially considering he's started a few games for the national side in 2022.

10. Fran Karacic
11. Nathaniel Atkinson

Probably self explanatory here but another two who have recently returned from injury. Geez we seem to have a lot of players under injury clouds or on the way back from injury layoffs, particularly at the back. It's a real issue.

MID

12. Aaron Mooy
13. Jackson Irvine
14. Riley McGree
15. Ajdin Hrustic

These guys pick themselves through Hrustic is another who has battled recently with injury. There are other fringe options around the mark but I can't see any of them displacing any of the above unless injury hits.

16. Tom Rogic
17. Connor Metcalfe
18. Cam Devlin

Not sure I even want Rogic to be there but there's no doubt he's our most talented option and he's timed his run with West Brom well. Arnie loves him too so I suspect he'll be picked.

19. Matthew Leckie
20. Craig Goodwin
21. Awer Mabil
22. Martin Boyle

Another 4 who probably pick themselves though Mabil might be in some doubt given he barely plays at club level. Boyle recently injured though apparently not too serious, thankfully.

23. Garang Kuol / Daniel Arzani / Marco Tilio

Last midfield spot comes down to one of these three IMO. I've listed them in order of where I think they sit though it wouldn't surprise me if Arzani gets the nod. Maybe we take two of them rather than both Metcalfe and Devlin.

FWD

24. Mitch Duke
25. Jamie Maclaren
26. Jason Cummings

Hoping they take the gamble with Cummings. Not sure how he's gone to start the A-League season but liked what I saw against NZ. Taggart unlucky but 2 strikers who can't score at international level is enough, we just don't need 3.

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
Squad of 26 being named on Tuesday. My guess...

GK

1. Mat Ryan
2. Mitch Langerak
3. Andrew Redmayne

Pretty self-explanatory here. Third string keeper the only query but I can't see the grey Wiggle not being on the plane.

DEF

4. Trent Sainsbury
5. Harry Souttar
6. Kye Rowles
7. Milos Degenek

Yuck, there's a lot of uncertainty with our CBs. Despite poor recent form and his domestic season already being over, I'd say Sainsbury is a lock for the squad. Souttar is on the way back from a knee injury, whether he's fit to start our first game remains to be seen but he'll be in the squad. Rowles was very impressive pre-injury but has to be under an injury cloud.

The other options aren't particularly inspiring. I've gone with Degenek purely because he's been there before and he at least has been playing consistently for his club. Deng and Delbridge next in line, with the latter in particular a real chance if Arnold prioritizes fitness and playing time.

8. Aziz Behich
9. Joel King

Behich is a lock and I can't see anyone overtaking King for the backup spot, especially considering he's started a few games for the national side in 2022.

10. Fran Karacic
11. Nathaniel Atkinson

Probably self explanatory here but another two who have recently returned from injury. Geez we seem to have a lot of players under injury clouds or on the way back from injury layoffs, particularly at the back. It's a real issue.

MID

12. Aaron Mooy
13. Jackson Irvine
14. Riley McGree
15. Ajdin Hrustic

These guys pick themselves through Hrustic is another who has battled recently with injury. There are other fringe options around the mark but I can't see any of them displacing any of the above unless injury hits.

16. Tom Rogic
17. Connor Metcalfe
18. Cam Devlin

Not sure I even want Rogic to be there but there's no doubt he's our most talented option and he's timed his run with West Brom well. Arnie loves him too so I suspect he'll be picked.

19. Matthew Leckie
20. Craig Goodwin
21. Awer Mabil
22. Martin Boyle

Another 4 who probably pick themselves though Mabil might be in some doubt given he barely plays at club level. Boyle recently injured though apparently not too serious, thankfully.

23. Garang Kuol / Daniel Arzani / Marco Tilio

Last midfield spot comes down to one of these three IMO. I've listed them in order of where I think they sit though it wouldn't surprise me if Arzani gets the nod. Maybe we take two of them rather than both Metcalfe and Devlin.

FWD

24. Mitch Duke
25. Jamie Maclaren
26. Jason Cummings

Hoping they take the gamble with Cummings. Not sure how he's gone to start the A-League season but liked what I saw against NZ. Taggart unlucky but 2 strikers who can't score at international level is enough, we just don't need 3.
I don't mind it, I'd like to see D'Agostino in over Duke because I think he's got some good dynamism and Duke is very meh.

Genreau has to be there though, not playing much in Ligue 1 but on quality I'd like to see him.

I don't mind it, I'd like to see D'Agostino in over Duke because I think he's got some good dynamism and Duke is very meh.

All of our 3 main striker options are very meh.

Duke - 21 caps (8 goals)
Maclaren - 26 (8)
Taggart - 16 (6)

I'd say Duke is the least likely to miss out, though I'd have no problem with a complete shake up of the striker position.

Genreau has to be there though, not playing much in Ligue 1 but on quality I'd like to see him.

Started one of the two recent games against NZ so clearly he's in the conversation. Is he ahead of any of the other central midfielders? I'm not sure, and the lack of game time at club level may count against him.

Mitch Langerak has been left out of the Socceroos’ World Cup plans in a bombshell decision by Graham Arnold and his goalkeeping coach John Crawley.

Despite being coaxed out of international retirement two months ago, sources have told The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age that Langerak has been omitted from Arnold’s final 26-man squad for Qatar, which will be officially revealed at 4pm on Tuesday.

Interesting - seems a bizarre decision after he was convinced to make a comeback.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

Interesting - seems a bizarre decision after he was convinced to make a comeback.

What the?

Ryan isn't playing at the moment. I cannot see how he misses out!

I would go Langerak #1, Ryan #2, Redmayne #3.

Squad has been announced.

Langerak, Rogic and Sainsbury the bigger names to miss out.

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
What the?

Ryan isn't playing at the moment. I cannot see how he misses out!

I would go Langerak #1, Ryan #2, Redmayne #3.

My keepers would be Langerak, Ryan and Gauci, take Gauci for the experience how often has the third choice keeper ever been needed at a World Cup.

Rogic only has himself to blame really, could have stayed at Celtic been playing consistently and in the Champions League.

Apr 10, 2011
south of the river
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham, 49ers & Scorchers

Squad has been announced.

Langerak, Rogic and Sainsbury the bigger names to miss out.
Langerak missing out makes no sense. Vukovic is a good keeper but still such a bizarre decision considering they asked Langerak to come out of retirement + his immense form.

Never thought I'd see Sainsbury not be gifted his spot. If fit - hopefully Souttar/Rowles are the pairing. Like Deng also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back