Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Saw this pop up on Twitter its an interesting discussion who does everyone regard as our greatest ODI winning WC team.

I looked and originally went 2003 but then realised there was no SK Warne in there due to his failed drug test.

It would be hard to leave out our greatest spinner but that 99 team did lose 2 games and had a tie in the semi final.

2003 and 2007 were unbeaten and way more dominant under ponting.

I cant speak for 1987 wasnt born.

I think 2015 team falls short of the 3 peat teams 1999-2007 just too many legends in that 1999-2007 period to be usurped and we did lose a game in 2015 and didn't have a genuine spinner in the team.

I am sticking with 2003 side i think Symonds perfomances as the all rounder in ODIs over Tom Moody.

We had Brett lee bowling 160kph thunderbolts the poor old kenyans copped in that tournament.

While McGrath was strangling the opposition at the other end.

Then Andy Bichel coming on first change with his energy and valuable batting has him covering paul reiffel from 99 side.

The batting was pretty similar with Damien Martyn and Matthew Hayden replacing the waugh brothers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211007-164608_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211007-164608_Chrome.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 66

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Saw this pop up on Twitter its an interesting discussion who does everyone regard as our greatest ODI winning WC team.

I looked and originally went 2003 but then realised there was no SK Warne in there due to his failed drug test.

It would be hard to leave out our greatest spinner but that 99 team did lose 2 games and had a tie in the semi final.

2003 and 2007 were unbeaten and way more dominant under ponting.

I cant speak for 1987 wasnt born.

I think 2015 team falls short of the 3 peat teams 1999-2007 just too many legends in that 1999-2007 period to be usurped and we did lose a game in 2015 and didn't have a genuine spinner in the team.

I am sticking with 2003 side i think Symonds perfomances as the all rounder in ODIs over Tom Moody.

We had Brett lee bowling 160kph thunderbolts the poor old kenyans copped in that tournament.

While McGrath was strangling the opposition at the other end.

Then Andy Bichel coming on first change with his energy and valuable batting has him covering paul reiffel from 99 side.

The batting was pretty similar with Damien Martyn and Matthew Hayden replacing the waugh brothers
Looking at that twitter attatchment, I notice they have Craig McDermott listed at number 4 in the batting line up for the 1987 team. Surely that is a mistake?

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looking at that twitter attatchment, I notice they have Craig McDermott listed at number 4 in the batting line up for the 1987 team. Surely that is a mistake?

I just checked the scorecard he batted at 4 that game. The lineups attached is how the batting order was in the final.

I was born in 1994 so i cant comment on that 1987 match but for those that did might be able to recall i am guessing he was promoted as a pinch hitter

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
The 1987 World Cup win was the greatest achievement, Australia were pretty s**t back then and weren't favourites like all their other World Cup wins

It wasn't on tv back then, there was no Foxtel, I remember listening to it on ABC radio so it gets forgotten about.

It was a major turning point in that Allan Border era side that went on to win the 1989 Ashes.

Bichel vs Bracken
Yeah I dunno about that. Don't think there's much comparison between the two as cricketers across their entire careers, for a start. But the gap is even greater in terms of their contribution to each World Cup team: Bracken was good, Bichel was outrageous.

Yeah I dunno about that. Don't think there's much comparison between the two as cricketers across their entire careers, for a start. But the gap is even greater in terms of their contribution to each World Cup team: Bracken was good, Bichel was outrageous.
As far as their ODI careers go:

Bichel: 67 matches, 78 wickets at 31.57, ER 4.53, SR 41.7
Bracken: 116 matches, 174 wickets at 24.36, ER 4.41, SR 33

Not to say that Bichel didn't have a fantastic WC in 03. But Bracken is a significantly better ODI bowler overall

Not to say that Bichel didn't have a fantastic WC in 03. But Bracken is a significantly better ODI bowler overall
Bracken has significantly better ODI bowling stats. Really not a cometh-the-moment match-winner though (and Bichel was, in every aspect of the game).

Bracken has significantly better ODI bowling stats. Really not a cometh-the-moment match-winner though (and Bichel was, in every aspect of the game).
Bracken was an amazing ODI bowler. Incredibly underrated by the Australian public. I'd have him in my all time ODI side ahead of Brett Lee and Mitch Johnson, that's how good he was.

His slower balls were revolutionary.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

Whilst I agree with you that Bracken is a better bowler in ODI cricket than Bichel, I think you may have overlooked Bichel's ability with the bat, which is far greater than Bracken's.

Whilst I agree with you that Bracken is a better bowler in ODI cricket than Bichel, I think you may have overlooked Bichel's ability with the bat, which is far greater than Bracken's.
I mean, when you're getting to 9/10, does batting ability really matter that much? I'm taking Bracken and it isn't a contest

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I mean, when you're getting to 9/10, does batting ability really matter that much? I'm taking Bracken and it isn't a contest
Considering the way Bichel batted against New Zealand and England in 2003, yes.

Without that contribution things may have been very different in 2003 world cup.

Tell me, would Bracken have made 64 with the bat in the same scenario?

Purely as a bowler at one day level, Bracken was superior, I agree with you on that. But to say it is not a contest is disrespectful to Bichel's contributon to Australian cricket.

Considering the way Bichel batted against New Zealand and England in 2003, yes.

Without that contribution things may have been very different in 2003 world cup.

Tell me, would Bracken have made 64 with the bat in the same scenario?

Purely as a bowler at one day level, Bracken was superior, I agree with you on that. But to say it is not a contest is disrespectful to Bichel's contributon to Australian cricket.
No, but at the same time, I back the batting of 07 that he doesn't need to.

Saying it isn't a contest isn't disrespectful. It just shows the gap between the pair. Bracken is in the top 5 ODI bowlers Australia's ever had and I'd be picking him in the side ahead of pretty much anyone that isn't Starc or McGrath. Ahead of Lee, Johnson, McDermott, Lillee. And no disrespect intended to Bichel, he's not on any of their levels as an ODI bowler.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Bichel had a great 2003 World Cup for sure, but Bracken took 16 @ 16 himself in 2007, with 4 against Sri Lanka (not in the final) and 3 against England. Bichel is a fine bowler, but Bracken was a very very good ODI bowler.

2003 and 2007 very similar teams and both extremely ruthless. Strangely enough, Australia's ODI team always seem a bit lackadaisical under S Waugh (relative to their intensity in test cricket, of course) and with their two losses, I think that rules them out.

There's not much in it at all, but I'm going with the 2007 team for three reasons:

1) Hogg was a much better bowler by that stage. Was still finding his feet on the back of Warne's drug ban in 2003 but by 2007, I'm not going to say he was as good as Warne, but we he wasn't that far behind him at all.

2) The other advantage 2007 had was six genuine bowling options with Symonds and Watson in the team, which is always handy. 2003 had to revert to genuine part timers if the front five were struggling a bit. I don't think we lost any batting strength at all to achieve this.

3) Bracken to Bichel, as above, is probably the biggest difference in performance between individuals from one team to the next.

I have two advantages for the 2003 team, but the above outweighs them IMO.

1) No Bevan, but Hussey was only the slightest of downgrades on him. Huss did actually have a pretty poor lead in to the world cup, but such was the teams dominance in that tournament he was virtually surplus to requirements through the tournament, batting just twice.

2) Lee also had the edge over Tait, but for the time period in question Tait was not far behind at all with an average of 23 and E/R of 5.5 v Lee average of 20 and E/R 4.6 for those respective calendar years.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
The 07 team utterly dominated their World Cup. They played 11 matches and no one even got close to them in any of them. In 03 they struggled in several of their group stage games.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
It's a weird one, I actually don't think that 1999 side is that far away from the 2003 & 2007 teams despite the 1999 team losing 2 games and the others not losing any. Lots of things to take into consideration. How good the opposition is, where the World Cup is played, etc.

The 1999 South Africa & Pakistan teams were probably better than anyone we faced in 2003/2007.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The 1987 World Cup win was the greatest achievement, Australia were pretty sh*t back then and weren't favourites like all their other World Cup wins

It wasn't on tv back then, there was no Foxtel, I remember listening to it on ABC radio so it gets forgotten about.

It was a major turning point in that Allan Border era side that went on to win the 1989 Ashes.
The final was on TV, even in Tas with just one commercial station back then; or maybe just the second innings. I don't think much else of that tournament was broadcast in Aus.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
The 07 team utterly dominated their World Cup. They played 11 matches and no one even got close to them in any of them. In 03 they struggled in several of their group stage games.
This.

The answer in my mind is 2007 and it's not even a contest. That team absolutely obliterated everyone. Both with bat and ball, absolutely ruthless destruction with both elements.

And Bracken is one of the most reliable ODI bowlers we've ever had. People forget just how damn reliable he was.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
Interesting that more people have picked the 1987 side over say the 1999 team.

The 87 side was very good but the 99 side looks a way more balanced unit. Though the 87 team did win in the subcontinent so that's a tick for them.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
you could mount an argument for all of those squads, plus the '75, '92, '96 squads.

the '03 initial squad also had warne, gillespie and watson who eventually didn't go.
- warnies replacement was hauritz which meant hogg was off the bench and into the XI.
- gillespie's replacement was bracken which meant bichel was off the bench and into the XI.
- watto's replacement was harvey and watto was probably only going as a reserve at that stage of his career.

the '07 initial squad had brett lee who eventually didn't go and johnson went, which pushed tait off then bench into the XI.

87 bench: moody, p.taylor, zesers
99 bench: martyn, s.lee, julian, dale
03 bench: maher, harvey, hauritz, bracken
07 bench: hodge, haddin, johnson, s.clark
15 bench: bailey, m.marsh, doherty, cummins

some good sides when you can leave out the likes of cummins, martyn, johnson, bracken etc

The final was on TV, even in Tas with just one commercial station back then; or maybe just the second innings. I don't think much else of that tournament was broadcast in Aus.
I was furious about that, first time ever we saw cricket from the sub continent and I was on one of those bloody stupid school camps where they thought that forcing me to haul my arse over the worst bits of South Australia was somehow character building. I learned nothing and I missed the cricket.
2003 side was the best for mine.

The 1999 South Africa & Pakistan teams were probably better than anyone we faced in 2003/2007.

This is true. The South African team was probably their best team ever and the Pakistan bowling line up in particular was amazing.

I love that we were absolutely dominant in the 99, 03, 07 and 15 finals. The 87 win was an unbelievable achievement, especially given it was on the subcontinent.

I'd pick 07 as the best team but I preferred watching the 03 performance - Symonds' century in the opening match, Bichel's day out to save us with bat and ball against the Poms and Ponting's phenomenal striking in the final

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

Bracken was better odi cricketer. Offered more variety & was great in 2007 opening bowling with swing

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Interesting that more people have picked the 1987 side over say the 1999 team.

The 87 side was very good but the 99 side looks a way more balanced unit. Though the 87 team did win in the subcontinent so that's a tick for them.

99 team won in UK so..

Back