Australia's fourth Super12 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Ms Storm

Your passion and enthusiasm for Rugby is to be admired (gee they would love you in NZ mate !)

But you are mistaken on several key points.

Take it from those of us who have known, loved, and played Rugby since before you were born.

Rugby (both codes) struggles to get the kind of support that is enjoyed by the AFL.

Even in the absolute heartland of Rugby support, enthusiasm for the game is nothing like the situation with Aussie Rules.

Ms Storm, you make the common mistake in believing that the huge interest in a tiny handful of International Test matches translates into mass support of the game in general (ah-la Aussie Rules)

Nothing could be further from the truth, Big time Rugby Internationals are huge events on the international sporting calender, the interest in these games is enormous and the punters turn out in their 000's to watch them.

In soccer-mad Great Britain, do you know which sporting competition generates the biggest TV ratings ? - Its the 6 Nations Rugby Union tournament and its enjoyed this postion for the last 35 years or ever since the game has been on TV.

Ms Storm I use this as an example to try and demonstrate that International Test matches are very special events that cannot be compared to the everyday level of support the sport enjoys.

Big Rugby Internationals are like Wimbledon or the Monaco Grand Prix. They are huge events in themselves but 90 % of the punters are there for the spectacle and to be part of the whole 'experience' of attending a big time sporting event.

How many fans at Wimbledon would take an on-going and passionate interest in Tennis per se ? - not very many.

Its the same for Rugby - thats why 90,000 Victorians can happily go along to the MCG and watch NZ v Aus and have a really grouse time of it but don';t expect them to turn around and support local club rugby or even Super 12.

Everyone loves a good Test Match, and its great to see people from Victoria finally cracking onto what is the very best in Internatrional Football action, but please Ms Storm - don't kid yourself.

Both Rugby codes will forever be little more than niche-interest sports in this country, inspite of what you might see on the TV. Below International levbel - at provincial and club competitions, the game struggles for wide support. In the case of Union especially, its so hopelessly entangled in class difference that it will never be more than a middle class game for Professional males who come from monied families and attended expensive private schools. For these guys, Rugby is a rite of passage into a exclusive social class.

Australian Rules enjoys a mass following that cuts across all differences in society. Its is Australia's Number 1 football game by miles and the only other game that has any remote possibility of taking that position away is soccer.

Rugby will never be a universally followed football code - in spite of the massive interest shown each year in those tiny handful of International Test matches.

cheers

Re: I am starting to see right thru you......!!

Originally posted by Ms.Storm

The Victorian Go'vt also refuses to help afl teams down here.

No $hit - but I didnt see the Government pushing Sydney or Brisbane to come back to Melbourne and become Fitzroy like u say the QLD Govt did they????? Geez!

I don't see your point re the Chargers,....they no longer exist.
All I know is that the Q'ld Gov't approached Storm to relocate to Brisbane to be the second team to play along the Broncos.l and from that and reading other stuff there seems to be a big push for another NRL team to play out of Brisbane.

Big Push?? Where?? IM UP HERE - I DONT SEE IT. I am intrigued as to where all this imaginary support is.

On Storm crowds, I will argue with you that they are doing beautifully in an afl biased state....you can only compare the afl crowds in Sydney and Brisbane at the 4 yr. stage...Storm have doubled those crowds in Sydney and Brisbane
AND i WILL be supporting Storm and Dees even if there balance books show huge losses!!

No, you dont compare raw figures. Have a look at Syd and Bris crowds RELATIVE to rugby league crowds. Melbourne is sports mad, as they say if you put on a marbles tournament at the G you would fill it! lol. Compared to AFL, Storm crowds are DISGRACEFUL! On the other hand, Syd and Bris crowds in their early years werent bad COMPARED to league. For afl crowds, yea, they were horrible, but not for league. Remember there are different cities and cultures to think about too! Also, bris and syd are still yet to win a flag.

Hey, I dont really care much about league, and dont worry, I am not worried at all of it challenging AFL because it has a snowballs chance in hell. All I am doing is giving the real facts about the situation. I still cant believe you think SA and WA should have league teams - didnt they go bust not long ago?? Didnt the NRL admit they made a shocking mistake thinking teams there could survive (or superleague, whoever it was in leagues managerial mess)??

Ms. Storm - think with your brain, not your heart.!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back