Sport Australias greatest sporting moments on the world stage since 1980?

Remove this Banner Ad

Takeover Target purchased for $1375 in 2003 by a taxi driver living in a caravan. Won $6,028,311 in total price money.

Invited to run at Royal Ascot in 2006

Better Loosen Up only Australian horse to win the Japan Cup in 1990. We knew the breeder

It's not about not rating Bradbury. To make that final Bradbury had to be good.

To me I guess it was a case of an event that I really had no interest in

To be fair the only reason he made the final was because the same thing happened in the semi's ;)

Don't worry Steve, you're my #1!

Also typically understated what he went through to actually make it to Salt Lake in the first place

I think Matty Dellavedova during the 2015 NBA finals deserves a mention. I mean, they lost but it was a pretty amazing effort from him, a guy who was undrafted in his 2nd year thrust into the starting line up after Kyrie Irving was injured and tasked with defending a top 2 player in the world whilst also being one of the few guys helping Lebron actually make it a competitive series and take it to 6 games making himself a world wide household name in the process.

Adam Scott, US masters 2010

It was one of Australia’s last great sporting hoodoos. Its funny how ones man’s struggles with choking could impact so greatly on a nation and its subsequent golfers. Greg Norman for all his swashbuckling quality had a habit of choking on big moments, notably he did this a few times when leading at Augusta, it turned into a national hoodoo. Anytime an Australian would lead on the final day the hoodoo would return. It’s fitting that Adam Scott, a man who idolised Norman would be the man to break it. Ironically Scott choked away a 4 stroke lead at the British masters the year before, so he had his own mental demons to fight, He holed an epic 7 meter putt on the 18th to go in club house leader but was joined by former champion Angel Cabrera after he also birdied the last. In nail-biting fashion Scott banished the hoodoo, his own putting demons and the weight of a nation to hole a 4 meter putt with nerves of steel on the second playoff hole to win the green jacket. As the ball rolled in he lent back and cheered with unbridled enthusiasm, a weight was lifted for himself, and our sporting nation.

Kieran Perkins 1500m Freestyle gold, 1996 Atlanta Olympics

Super fish Perkins was the king of the pool, Australia’s smiling golden boy, looking to be the first Australian swimmer since Dawn Fraser to defend an individual Olympic title. But it didn’t all go to plan; He struggled in the heats battling illness and stomach cramps which affected his turns. He even thought mid race maybe its better I don’t qualify for the final, It may just be better if I drift off away from the spotlight, I’ve let everybody down. He qualified by a fingernail, in lane 8, the swimmers nightmare lane. He had multiple panic attacks pre-race, losing all self-confidence, he was ready to retire on the spot and hide way from everybody but he beat the mental demons to stand on the blocks, he said “I’m in lane 8, it’s the same water as all the other lanes, I’ve just got to get in there and do this” After being written off by many he blitzed the field in what was a sporting moment most Australians recall with huge pride.

Mark Schwarzer penalty shootout, world cup qualifying play off v Uruguay 2005

Most people think of John Aloisi as the ‘hero’ who sent us to our first world cup in decades, but he was just the icer. Schwarzer built the cake. We’d had our hearts broken in three previous playoffs and a forth was looming large as the penalty shootout approached. With minutes to go Hiddink was about to pull the trigger on Schwarzer, he believed Kalac was the better penalty saver (an ill-fated move he eventually made during the cup) But Brett Emerton needed to come off late with cramp so the last sub was used, lucky Guus they call him! The shootout started with 80k gold wearing fans at fever pitch, Schwarzer saved the first, low to his left, tipping it around the post, chose the right way for the next but it slid under his grasp… then with it all to play for our talisman Viduka put his penalty wide… the early save was for nothing!, back on par.. no, Schwarzer steps up again!, and makes an even greater save, full length dive left, with strong hand.. Paving the way for Aloisi to have his moment, but for me, Schwarzer got us there. Being a goalkeeper is a thankless job, particularly when it comes to penalties – but he made a hero of himself this day.

Dean Jones 210 – tied test, vs India , Chennai.

Australia were in a bit of a rabble in the long form cricketing arena, we had lost our captain in a babble of tears and captain grumpy Allan Border took the reins, this was the beginning of a new era that would finally come to fruition in the 89 Ashes victory, but it all needed a beginning, the fresh young line up of kids in their first hand full of test matches travelled to India, the likes of Boon, Marsh, Waugh, Jones, McDermott, Reid, all players who would become bedrocks of the side had their grounding in this game. It was almost like a line in the sand, Borders boys said enough enough, lets fight this through and become somebody. The heat was oppressive, well over 40 with stifling humidity, Dean Jones a kid in his third test batted for over 8 hours in the oppressive conditions battling heat stroke, nausea, vomiting, hand cramps, leg cramps, body cramps! (he will tell you all happily) He says he can’t remember anything after 120, he collapsed in the rooms, lost 7 kilos and was hospitalised with severe dehydration and his score of 210 was the highest score by an Australian in India and was enough to bring about test crickets second ever tied game in its long history.

I think Matty Dellavedova during the 2015 NBA finals deserves a mention. I mean, they lost but it was a pretty amazing effort from him, a guy who was undrafted in his 2nd year thrust into the starting line up after Kyrie Irving was injured and tasked with defending a top 2 player in the world whilst also being one of the few guys helping Lebron actually make it a competitive series and take it to 6 games making himself a world wide household name in the process.

hoping to see his offensive skills utilised more at his new gig this season hey ?

hoping to see his offensive skills utilised more at his new gig this season hey ?
Well without derailing the thread too much... Depends how they want to use him I suppose, but I don't think he'll be on show too much. He was more or less recruited because he's the perfect sort of PG (a guy who plays good defense, shoots 3s and doesnt make a lot of mistakes) to play next to the guys they want to develop (in particular Giannis Antetokounmpo) as big dudes who are the primary ball handlers.

The America's Cup win is an interesting one. Given the complete and utter domination by America over such a long period of time, the almost hopeless situation we were in during the finals, incredible victory.

Still have yet to see a national sports victory bring people together the way that win did. Interested to know though, I was a kid in Perth at the time and obviously saw the footage of Bob Hawke in the aftermath, enjoyed the parade etc, but I wonder if the win was as celebrated as widely in the east as it was in Perth.

Well without derailing the thread too much... Depends how they want to use him I suppose, but I don't think he'll be on show too much. He was more or less recruited because he's the perfect sort of PG (a guy who plays good defense, shoots 3s and doesnt make a lot of mistakes) to play next to the guys they want to develop (in particular Giannis Antetokounmpo) as big dudes who are the primary ball handlers.

i must say from my limited bball watching i had him pigeon holed in my mind by the role he played for the Cavs that series, but my eyes were opened at the Olympics, he looked to have a sweet jumper! and was plucking quality assist passes alot altough its a different ball game i know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i must say from my limited bball watching i had him pigeon holed in my mind by the role he played for the Cavs that series, but my eyes were opened at the Olympics, he looked to have a sweet jumper! and was plucking quality assist passes alot altough its a different ball game i know.
You're not really wrong tho, how he played in that series is more or less who the Bucks want him to be. The guy they have I spoke about before, Giannis Antetokounmpo is a 6'11 athletic freak the Bucks want to turn into a full time point guard so you need to put guys around him who will be guys who can shoot the 3+defend so the floor is spread for him to go to work and obviously Delly has a no ego sort of attitude when it comes to his game so he's a perfect fit there.

But I suppose it's time to get back to other Aussies doing s**t that was sweet.

The America's Cup win is an interesting one. Given the complete and utter domination by America over such a long period of time, the almost hopeless situation we were in during the finals, incredible victory.

Still have yet to see a national sports victory bring people together the way that win did. Interested to know though, I was a kid in Perth at the time and obviously saw the footage of Bob Hawke in the aftermath, enjoyed the parade etc, but I wonder if the win was as celebrated as widely in the east as it was in Perth.

it was celebrated big, not so much about winning a boat race.. but more about us making a mark as a country i reckon - there were tales about lexcens keel, how it was hidden and the whole world was curious as to what it looked like, people in bars and cafes were drawing diagrams on napkins trying to guess what it would look like, bigger than who is the trade whisperer? ;) when the boats were moored it had a big tarp covering it for extra impact...

they say that most americans wanted us to win too, because the new york yacht club was elitist and didnt fit in with the rank and files ideals.

i rememeber as a kid there being parades in every city, mini flag waving, real patriotic stuff, almost trancending sport. We deffinatley had parades over here like you guys did, was a national pride thing.

wasnt long before we tried again and sunk a yacht tho heh, back to reality haha. Remember those images of the yacht sinking? the flag and mast last to go under, so many metaphors!

You're not really wrong tho, how he played in that series is more or less who the Bucks want him to be. The guy they have I spoke about before, Giannis Antetokounmpo is a 6'11 athletic freak the Bucks want to turn into a full time point guard so you need to put guys around him who will be guys who can shoot the 3+defend so the floor is spread for him to go to work and obviously Delly has a no ego sort of attitude when it comes to his game so he's a perfect fit there.

But I suppose it's time to get back to other Aussies doing s**t that was sweet.

how bout Tony Ronaldsons big 4 point play to beat Croatia at the olympics and get us to the bronze medal game!

Shane Heal draining 5 threes in a row vs the sonics way back when was pretty cool too... actually i reckon one of my all time proud aussie moments was when Heal stood up to Charles Barkley.... it was a real moment! chested him, bit of shirt grabbing - he was shooting threes from way out and charles didnt like it hey?

Pat Rafter winning back-to-back US Opens was great, especially the first one in 1997. Like Agassi he was a good player to watch in that era. He deserved at least one Wimbledon crown though.

lessened it for me beating a fellow aussie, remember scud complaining because all the aussie dignatires were in the rafter box..

that wimbledon final Rafter v Goran remains all time for me, even list worthy - a quirk of the weather means all the aussie expats were able to line up and get tickets, it was like bondi beach in there! and Our Pat, playing a dyoing art, serve volley style was upagainst a temeramental wild card... he a wild card finalist.. in the end of the fifth set i remember pat was hardley playing, it was all goran, he was going to win it or lose it by himself.. would either blast an ace or make an unforced error.

par being pat, gave the moment to goran ;)

how about lleyton winning the us after calling the linesman a racist? that was pressure multiplied.

how bout Tony Ronaldsons big 4 point play to beat Croatia at the olympics and get us to the bronze medal game!

Shane Heal draining 5 threes in a row vs the sonics way back when was pretty cool too... actually i reckon one of my all time proud aussie moments was when Heal stood up to Charles Barkley.... it was a real moment! chested him, bit of shirt grabbing - he was shooting threes from way out and charles didnt like it hey?
I always laughed at the way Tony Ronaldson ran, reminds me of a duck.

I was actually watching the highlights of that Shane Heal performance a couple of months ago on youtube, it was pretty great, they ended up getting stomped as most do but Heal put on a great shooting performance. I think the u.s team were always so used to the other teams looking at them in awe it was quite a shock when the Boomers were very niggly with them but they had a laugh about it afterwards so I think Chuck in particular prob gained a bit of respect for them after that.

I always laughed at the way Tony Ronaldson ran, reminds me of a duck.

I was actually watching the highlights of that Shane Heal performance a couple of months ago on youtube, it was pretty great, they ended up getting stomped as most do but Heal put on a great shooting performance. I think the u.s team were always so used to the other teams looking at them in awe it was quite a shock when the Boomers were very niggly with them but they had a laugh about it afterwards so I think Chuck in particular prob gained a bit of respect for them after that.

you dont have to be liked, or admired - all you ever want is to be respected.

we have had to fight for respect in a lot of sports that are not our typical fare, soccer, basketball ect but it just makes that moment all the more sweet when it all clicks and you feel you have made the big time and gained respect.

I'd hazard a guess nobody would take the Boomers lightly nowadays particualy with the golden generation thats been compiled, nor the socceroos.

i guess its the last glass celing though isnt it, the mental hurldle of beating team USA, even if they are not maybe the runaway best in the world anymore, there is still that mental hurlde we seem to struggle to overcome.

you dont have to be liked, or admired - all you ever want is to be respected.

we have had to fight for respect in a lot of sports that are not our typical fare, soccer, basketball ect but it just makes that moment all the more sweet when it all clicks and you feel you have made the big time and gained respect.

I'd hazard a guess nobody would take the Boomers lightly nowadays particualy with the golden generation thats been compiled, nor the socceroos.

i guess its the last glass celing though isnt it, the mental hurldle of beating team USA, even if they are not maybe the runaway best in the world anymore, there is still that mental hurlde we seem to struggle to overcome.
We're a good team now, but the best is yet to come talent wise. Assuming players come on as we expect 2020 will be the most talented squad we've ever had.

Pat Rafter winning back-to-back US Opens was great, especially the first one in 1997. Like Agassi he was a good player to watch in that era. He deserved at least one Wimbledon crown though.
I'm bringing up another losing effort but I always really enjoyed Philippoussis' 03 Wimbledon run. He was always the Aussie tennis guy I rooted for since he was highly entertaining to watch, I think he wasn't even seeded in the tournament and went on to fall to Federer in the final.

We're a good team now, but the best is yet to come talent wise. Assuming players come on as we expect 2020 will be the most talented squad we've ever had.

I'm bringing up another losing effort but I always really enjoyed Philippoussis' 03 Wimbledon run. He was always the Aussie tennis guy I rooted for since he was highly entertaining to watch, I think he wasn't even seeded in the tournament and went on to fall to Federer in the final.

that was epic! i mentioned it earlier but when he spearheaded the davis cup win on the clay in Paris in 99 i thought hello, the boy has made it now, he will turn into our next fully fledged star but the body couldnt come along for the ride.

i remember an interview with chris anstey, who played tennis with fletcher and scud... he reckons some of the things they saw scuds dad do to him across the years, it was little wonder he went off the rails a little when he became wealthy, he had a fairly unhappy childhood/teenage years.

If we're considering the competition as a factor in the scale of the achievement, Western Sydney sneaking the Asian Champions League has to be up there. As far as individual achievements go, I'd probably say Cadel Evans, though his 2008 second place when effectively riding solo was arguably even more impressive.

I love the Anna Meares one in there. I heard her speak at a leaders conference the day before the 2012 Grand Final and wow, what an amazing woman.

To go through the s**t she did with her accident and even get back on the bike, let alone win a medal in Beijing was incredible. To then go to London, home of her arch-rival and reigning Olympic champion in Victoria Pendleton, and win the gold, despite some classic British media tactics, was something else.

One of our greatest (yet, sadly underrated) athletes.

And she has announced her retirement today :(

A genuine Aussie sporting LEGEND

For some reason the earlier video isn't available, so here it is again!

To be fair the only reason he made the final was because the same thing happened in the semi's ;)
Steven Bradbury was favorite going into the 1000m at the 94 Olympics and got pushed over. He also got shoved in the 500m when he was a medal contender from memory.

He was also a medal favorite in 98 and got knocked over in both races.

Swings and round abouts.

Bradbury was a gun. He just happened to be a gun who after being screwed in his peak and on the way down was in the right spot at the right time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back