Australia's Next Test Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to put this theory to rest.

Hughes scores in Shield games away from Adelaide oval: 95 & 83 (vs Qld), 158 & 8 (vs Vic), 92 & 26 (vs WA), 86 & 16 (vs Sri Lanka in Hobart), 5 & 1* (vs S. Africa in Sydney for Australia A)

Hughes scores in Shield games at Adelaide oval: 3 & 37 (vs Tas), 8 & 8 (vs Qld).

Don't you dare include the game against Sri Lanka as a Shield game... Sri Lanka are no where near that standard.

Don't you dare include the game against Sri Lanka as a Shield game... Sri Lanka are no where near that standard.
S*** got a bit careless with that one, I guess his batting against SA was Shield standard so that one evens out.

This is harsh with the form Putland was in before the big bash started.
Putland should get a Sri Lankan citizenship, would be the best thing to happen to them since Chaminda Vaas!

Tim Paine you'd think.

Was earmarked as a future test captain by CA until injury struck him down.

Bumping this old thread.

How much longer will Paine play and who will captain when he retires?

Is it worth giving Smith another go or do we just let him focus on churning out hundreds at a Bradman-esque rate?

Warner has a lifetime leadership ban and Usman is hanging on to his test career by a thread and no certainty to be in the team in 12 months time. Neither are options to consider.

Besides these 3, our next most experienced players are all bowlers, but how often do bowlers get the captaincy? Shaun Pollock is the only one that comes to mind for me. Cummins would be my only choice - he is a lionhearted player and an excellent cricketer all round.

Interesting times ahead for the test team one way or another.

I think Paine will go at the end of the Australian summer. Probably a good time to move on.

Personally, I'd go with Head but he might have to do a bit more work during the summer to solidify his spot before that happens.

I think Paine will go at the end of the Australian summer. Probably a good time to move on.

Agree with this.

Will the wowsers accept Smith back then? Ultimately he is the only batsman you can be sure will still be in the team.

If Head has a good summer with the bat then he comes into the discussion.

Would they make Carey captain on debut, George Bailey T20 style, as if Paine hangs them up he'd probably have the second best job security behind Smith and being ODI vice captain he is the anointed one like Paine was back in the day.

The Australian method is usually to just give the best batsman the role. Smith will get it back.
After that, at this stage possibly Head, but he has to maintain and hoefully cement his place first.
Bowlers just don't get the job in Australia, so Pattinson, Cummins, Lyon (who would be retired by then anyway) are basically no chance even if they could do the role well. And rotation/management policies rule out the quicks anyway, they will miss too many games even when fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with this.

Will the wowsers accept Smith back then? Ultimately he is the only batsman you can be sure will still be in the team.

If Head has a good summer with the bat then he comes into the discussion.

Would they make Carey captain on debut, George Bailey T20 style, as if Paine hangs them up he'd probably have the second best job security behind Smith and being ODI vice captain he is the anointed one like Paine was back in the day.
I’m not a wowser but Smith wasn’t a great captain to begin with and his flaws glaring. Should just focus on batting. I agree the cupboard looks bare, have to hope that Head comes good. Maybe Khawaja as a stp gap if this slump doesn’t last. Otherwise, maybe Paine can go on to next summer.

Smith shouldn't be skipper but would he even want the job?

No other skipper gets a year ban for failing to stop other people cheating, being test skipper in this country you are judged almost like the way religious zealots judge folks its almost impossible to please them and you are one slip up from being condemned, lets somebody else have the headache and just have fun scoring the runs.

Smith shouldn't be skipper but would he even want the job?

No other skipper gets a year ban for failing to stop other people cheating, being test skipper in this country you are judged almost like the way religious zealots judge folks its almost impossible to please them and you are one slip up from being condemned, lets somebody else have the headache and just have fun scoring the runs.
Its hard to imagine he wouldn't want the job. Yes, it might be less pressure without it. But there is also the point to prove, beyond CA's "redemption" storyline. And the increased match payments, but that may well be a lesser consideration.
Professional sportspeople need to have huge belief. If CA tell him he's the person they believe is best, it is highly unlikely (even putting all other matters aside) that any player would not believe it to be true.

Another test where Paine's twin failures with the bat may cost us.
Well it would be another test where Paine and a large part of our top 6 failing would cost us.
Watch it mate, actually expecting some runs from your captain and keeper is not on around here.
Not it at all but singling him out when our top 6 is a joke is just stupid.

Well it would be another test where Paine and a large part of our top 6 failing would cost us.

Not it at all but singling him out when our top 6 is a joke is just stupid.

Head and wade have done enough to justify another shot, Warner will get another test after a good 60, labus and smith have started, Paines only in the team because he's the figurehead captain.

Head and wade have done enough to justify another shot, Warner will get another test after a good 60, labus and smith have started, Paines only in the team because he's the figurehead captain.
No he is in the team because our keepers are trash, no better options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back