Remove this Banner Ad

Kuuz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory TSM
Smith I feel has earnt the captaincy back by his deeds.

Yes he screwed up. But often our greatest mistakes and errors in judgment maketh the man. He has stood up twice already in this Ashes and showed great courage. Akin to Stokes.

He will never make that mistake again and he's easily the mentaly toughest of the players in that team. Paine is a pea heart in comparison.

Plus, Aussie do love a comeback.

Elite Finger Twirler

Elite Finger Twirler Medal winner 2019
May 30, 2018
Witness history folks
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Women's sports, The PIG

Yes he screwed up. But often our greatest mistakes and errors in judgment maketh the man. He has stood up twice already in this Ashes and showed great courage. Akin to Stokes.

He will never make that mistake again and he's easily the mentaly toughest of the players in that team. Paine is a pea heart in comparison.
Agree but CA won't backflip. Head is the best choice from the remaining eligible players.

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c

Plus, Aussie do love a comeback.
I BLAME THE NSW BOWLERS WHO BOWLED POORLY ,( NO ATTEMPT AT YORKERS, I DO NOT REMEMBER PAINE BOWLING
LYON MISSING THE RUN OUT,

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
Paine froze at the wrong time. Smith got us into this mess so it can't be him. Warner's a twit, Wade and Khawaja are hanging by a thread, Head's still got a lot to work on batting wise, Cummins had a shocker today so not a lot of points in the composure and intelligence stakes there either.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Never rated Paine. Remember when he was appointed saying to my mate how farcical Australian cricket is when he’s not only getting games but also captaining the team.

Can’t bat, not much of a keeper and he’s a truly awful captain.

Has to be Cummins next.

Kuuz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory TSM
The only people who have shown any composure during this Test series in crunch moments are Smith and Labushagne.

Take your pick.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Smith being captain again would be a fair bit of a backflip, although I guess they did leave the door open with the ban ending at a date.

If they thought his actions were serious enough to warrant banning him from test cricket for a year how they can possibly think he’s leadership material again?

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
Paine did well to repair the team after sandpaper gate, and seems like a good team man and people person, diplomatic. Unfortunately his batting is failing, and he's no tactician. Not sure who might be after him but it shouldn't be Warner or Smith. Smith was tactically inept but would have stayed in if not for some sandpaper.

Wouldn't expect Paine to step aside or be moved on until after the Ashes or even longer. Might be a lame duck for the rest of the series.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Smith being captain again would be a fair bit of a backflip, although I guess they did leave the door open with the ban ending at a date.

If they thought his actions were serious enough to warrant banning him from test cricket for a year how they can possibly think he’s leadership material again?

Not that Smith was the greatest captain, but FFS 1 mistake should not permanently make you unfit for leadership, it's utter nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MALTSY

Club Legend
May 2, 2011
silver sands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Paine has filled the gap and provided some stability in Smiths absence. He should be applauded for this.
However...he is not performing well and he won't be part of our long term future.
Big decision looming.
Do we value his captaincy and keeping skills enough to remain in the team for next 2 tests?
I would....
- Drop Paine
-Give captaincy to Head for the remainder of the series
- Bring in Carey as WK or give gloves to Wade.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
Smith is the only guy capable of captaining this side. The rest are not even assured of their spot, let alone captaining the team. I would rather go with Carey to test the waters than a proven failure like Paine. Give Carey a go, it doesn't get bigger than the Ashes.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Paine is the complete opposite of Clarke as a captain. Clarke poor at getting a good team culture, Paine seemingly very good. Clarke excelled with the bat as skipper, Paine can’t buy a run. Clarke aggressive with field/bowling changes. Paine passive. Let Stokes manipulate the strike every over and tried nothing to stop it. He’s not up to it but I don’t know what we do now. We’ve got a mess for ourselves.

I dont know the answer, but does a different captain win us the game with 1 wicket to go? Paine doesnt seem to me to be anything special as skipper, but seems the modern australian team is all about pre planning and committee decisions anyway

He tried all of his bowlers, none of them gave him much

Was he meant to chuck Warner the ball?

I tend to think with the current side it wouldnt really matter too much, theres not a master leader take charge tactician that i see there, even Smith (who I would just make skipper again)

Langer and co still make the decisions collectively , heck they send the 12th man out every friggen over

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Posted in matchday thread but should probably be here as well.Interview with Paine seems to highlight and underline his captaincy. Favors trying to restrict Stokes scoring when the bloke had a whole extra day to chase down the runs instead of trying to put pressure on him rotating the strike in order to target Leach.

If you're worried about giving away boundaries when you can afford too you're basically surrendering the ability to target Leach at all, since you're definitely not going to be able to try and stop strike rotation when the lead gets even lower.
Paine defended his positioning of nearly every fielder on the boundary rope to Stokes as the all-rounder accelerated in the final 30 minutes.

"If we didn’t it probably would have finished a lot earlier, the way he was hitting them, to be honest," Paine said. "It’s one of those things. It is a really difficult period of time to captain. I don’t think anyone has done it perfectly. I certainly didn’t. I don’t claim to have.
"But when guy is going like that, you bring the field up he’s hitting them for four or six anyway. What I probably would like to have done is more is talk to the bowlers about their mindset. At times when the field gets spread they go a bit defensive. I still want our bowlers to be running in thinking about getting them out regardless of the field. But again, that’s Test cricket.
"Ben Stokes was playing out of his skin. He managed to do things that you normally wouldn’t and you’ve got to give him credit."

Last edited:

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Posted in matchday thread but should probably be here as well.Interview with Paine seems to highlight and underline his captaincy. Favors trying to restrict Stokes scoring when the bloke had a whole extra day to chase down the runs instead of trying to put pressure on him rotating the strike in order to target Leach:

This mindset from Paine shows exactly why he isn't right as captain and how he doesn't get it. We had a lead of 70 when Leach came in. How can Paine not get that with two balls to go in an over, it would have been better to concede a couple of boundaries there rather than giving Stokes a single and the whole next over. Every time he got an easy single on the second last ball of an over, it cost us heaps of runs every time. Paine saying 'it would have been over even sooner' is just ridiculous. Yes it was a brilliant innings, one of the best ever for sure. But Paine is pretty much admitting he didn't know how to try and stop it.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
People forget Smith wasn't exactly mark Taylor out there either. Tactically he was some way short of the mark.

Paine needs to get his head together if he wants to lead Australia beyond the ashes. His last two tests have been exceedingly poor.

He won't get dropped or lose the captaincy mid series in a live ashes. Nor should he. That would be an insane concession to the opposition and completely destabilise our camp which has just copped a severe knock (obviously need to acknowledge his use of the review at the death a big part of that knock).

But so far this series, he has been a negative performer. To retain the ashes, that almost certainly has to change.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This mindset from Paine shows exactly why he isn't right as captain and how he doesn't get it. We had a lead of 70 when Leach came in. How can Paine not get that with two balls to go in an over, it would have been better to concede a couple of boundaries there rather than giving Stokes a single and the whole next over. Every time he got an easy single on the second last ball of an over, it cost us heaps of runs every time. Paine saying 'it would have been over even sooner' is just ridiculous. Yes it was a brilliant innings, one of the best ever for sure. But Paine is pretty much admitting he didn't know how to try and stop it.
Absolutely. With the ease Stokes was clearing the rope and the fact he was pulling out crazy stuff like ramp shots for fun having the field out clearly wasn't restricting his scoring anyway, so Englands one weakness was, even without hindsight, rotating the strike to protect Leach and Paine decided to just ignore that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back