Kuuz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory TSM
PAINE DID NOT ASK TO BE CAPT, Smith and Warner as capt and vice CHEATED
(ok so Lyon s, goes as well,missed easy run out Cummins bowled crap , he goes, Hazwelwwood could not execute a yorker so he goes
Warner goes , (Paine and wade scored more runs in this series )
who is your call as captain

I didn't say he hasn't done a good job in a tough time. He did. But I feel now like he is the only player in the first XI who isn't dropped for poor form. Everyone is accountable, but it feels like Paine can remain in the team, despite falling below standards he himself set.

My call for captain? Smith.

Why? Because firstly, redemption. The man made an extremely poor mistake and poor judgment during a match and was held out to dry by the Australian public, myself included. He served his time and has been punished.

But I also know that we all make mistakes. We all screw up. I made a massive blunder in terms of personal judgment early in my career, learnt from it, and sought to never make that mistake again and become a better person/employee. I imagine many in this forum probably have similar stories.

So, I don't see what happened 12 months ago as a permanent stain to his name. If he's in the first XI, he is forgiven. He has earned the chance to show us why he belongs again, and, has already shown that.

So that aside, why else? He is the best player we have. He is a natural captain, excels in his role in the team when as captain. Shows more dogged determination and bravery than any other player has shown this series, bar maybe Labushagne. He has earnt leadership back through his deeds and the fact he continues to remind us that he is a step above everyone else on this team, both technically and mentally. Flawed? Yes. But we all are. He just be one of the few who now truly understands his flaws.

Bareth Garry

Team Captain
Jan 20, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
You guys remember when Bailey was rewarded with a test call up after smashing it as ODI skipper and batsman for a couple of years. He didn't translate his ODI contributions to test cricket and wasn't selected again in that format (equalled a world record in his 5 tests by smashing Anderson for 28 in an over though).

Paine hasn't scored a 50 in 10 tests yet is undroppable because he's got a good public image. It makes no sense.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Paine hasn't scored a 50 in 10 tests yet is undroppable because he's got a good public image. It makes no sense.

the problem is we don't have a credible alternative. There is a reason why a bloke who had only played 12 test matches was made captain you know.

If we ever want Smith back as captain we kind of need to keep Paine around. Our only other options are picking Head (who isn't batting well enough to be sure of his spot) or Lasanga who is brand new.

Just bring back Smith and stop this dicking around. Our tail basically starts at 7 at the moment.

Oct 5, 2004
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
PAINE DID NOT ASK TO BE CAPT, Smith and Warner as capt and vice CHEATED
(ok so Lyon s, goes as well,missed easy run out Cummins bowled crap , he goes, Hazwelwwood could not execute a yorker so he goes
Warner goes , (Paine and wade scored more runs in this series )
who is your call as captain

No other country sacked their captain for ball tampering. It's normally a fine or one Test from the ICC. Faf's done it twice and is still captain. We can go through a few others too.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
It was often four balls and a single. He could have brought the field up for the fifth and sixth ball of the over. I don't think it would have made one iota of difference, and it may simply have allowed easier boundaries on the fifth ball (and I admit boundaries were coming quickly anyway).
Not bringing the field up for the 5th ball was a serious tactical blunder - and I was screaming at the TV at the time. That's not in hindsight. We've all seen plenty of instances where the field goes out for 4 balls, but I can't ever recall it staying out for the 5th because it makes no sense.

4 times Stokes got an easy single off the fifth ball of the over. If they get a quick single then so be it, and twice that happened on the last ball of an over. But gifting them the single on a 5th to get one ball at Leach is not smart cricket, and an inexplicable decision from someone captaining a test team. You want 2 balls at the #11, or force them into a position where they've either gotta take a quick single and hopefully risk a run out or accept the dots and have the #11 face up for potentially a full over.

Tigerssaints

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
hobart f c
Not bringing the field up for the 5th ball was a serious tactical blunder - and I was screaming at the TV at the time. That's not in hindsight. We've all seen plenty of instances where the field goes out for 4 balls, but I can't ever recall it staying out for the 5th because it makes no sense.

4 times Stokes got an easy single off the fifth ball of the over. If they get a quick single then so be it, and twice that happened on the last ball of an over. But gifting them the single on a 5th to get one ball at Leach is not smart cricket, and an inexplicable decision from someone captaining a test team. You want 2 balls at the #11, or force them into a position where they've either gotta take a quick single and hopefully risk a run out or accept the dots and have the #11 face up for potentially a full over.
i thought the bowlers would have set the fields , considering the status of the game
remember pretty boy Cummins is the vice captain
stokes better than Smith is 2 MOM , MOS world cup
bowled 15 overs straight when, Archer went off the nite b4
hit 8 sixes 11 fours
like Smith , Poms cannot get out
we have struggled wit Stokes

finally tonite Cummins did a pressy tell us, the whole group has to take ownership o the loss

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
i thought the bowlers would have set the fields , considering the status of the game
remember pretty boy Cummins is the vice captain
stokes better than Smith is 2 MOM , MOS world cup
bowled 15 overs straight when, Archer went off the nite b4
hit 8 sixes 11 fours
like Smith , Poms cannot get out
we have struggled wit Stokes

finally tonite Cummins did a pressy tell us, the whole group has to take ownership o the loss
14.%2BWTF%2BMeme.jpg

Even by your standards the post is a doozy.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
just leave painey there in charge for the next 9 tests

last 2 in england
aussie summer - pak/nz
and 2 in bang

smith will then be eligible and paine will basically be at retirement age and if he aint playing well, could transition to someone like a carey.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

last 2 in england
aussie summer - pak/nz
and 2 in bang

smith will then be eligible and paine will basically be at retirement age and if he aint playing well, could transition to someone like a carey.
This is the most likely option. Timing actually works perfectly - he'll be 35 and due for retirement anyway. There is zero chance of the Smith penalty being reduced and unless anything changes drastically in the next few months, he's the most likely option to take back the captaincy (if he wants it).

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
This is the most likely option. Timing actually works perfectly - he'll be 35 and due for retirement anyway. There is zero chance of the Smith penalty being reduced and unless anything changes drastically in the next few months, he's the most likely option to take back the captaincy (if he wants it).

Smith relieved of the captaincy duties would be good for Smith's cricket but not good for Australian cricket.We have few choices with the selectors reluctant to pick a bowler,Warner and Smith not eligible and the rest of the batsman's spots in the side not secure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interesting article from Brettig. My initial response to the headline was "* no" but having read it I am kind of convinced it could work. My biggest gripe with Smith coming back as captain is that he is too frantic, impatient and wears his heart on his sleeve. You certainly couldn't accuse Khawaja of that, and it sounds like he has a bit of tactical nous which we definitely need.

Perhaps the responsibility of captaincy would help focus him more and reduce the likelihood of him playing a loose shot/dropping a dolly.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27486154/usman-khawaja-australia-captain-why-not

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Interesting article from Brettig. My initial response to the headline was "fu** no" but having read it I am kind of convinced it could work. My biggest gripe with Smith coming back as captain is that he is too frantic, impatient and wears his heart on his sleeve. You certainly couldn't accuse Khawaja of that, and it sounds like he has a bit of tactical nous which we definitely need.

Perhaps the responsibility of captaincy would help focus him more and reduce the likelihood of him playing a loose shot/dropping a dolly.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27486154/usman-khawaja-australia-captain-why-not

His spot in the side is just as insecure as Head who I think is one of the few options as captain.Interesting that Khawaja is captain of the Australian side playing against the county side and they have called Carey into wicket keep to give Paine a rest and let Bancroft and Wade concentrate on their batting.Surely they are not looking at this change for the next test if they go OK in this game.BUT reading some comments on BF I think quite a few people would like that to happen and must admit Khawaja as a captain option I never thought of.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why give charity games to Paine until he's 35. He's undeserving of his position now and probably the worst captain in test cricket.

Anyone could have looked good from a PR perspective after sandpaper gate. He shouldn't keep his spot just for that. Him out, Carey in (I'm not even against a proper bat in and Wade keeping again. Anything is better than Paine)

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
His spot in the side is just as insecure as Head who I think is one of the few options as captain.Interesting that Khawaja is captain of the Australian side playing against the county side and they have called Carey into wicket keep to give Paine a rest and let Bancroft and Wade concentrate on their batting.Surely they are not looking at this change for the next test if they go OK in this game.BUT reading some comments on BF I think quite a few people would like that to happen and must admit Khawaja as a captain option I never thought of.

I had him after Smith got banned as an option along with Head, and Mitch Marsh. Paine was a massive curveball for me.

So it is not a surprise. Who knows, knowing Australian captains, he might start doing well with the bat. Also the lols from certain parts of the media, if he becomes captain will be hilarious.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Carey playing in the tour game because Paine needs to be "rested" after playing a whopping 3 tests in the past 3 month... and barely batting in them.

The end is nigh.

Sep 6, 2007
Hiding in the sand dunes
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Khawaja should be dropped, not made captain ffs.

I have all my fingers and toes crossed that the emergence of Labuschagne means we can finally piss Khawaja off for good. God knows I won't miss seeing him drop sodas on the field or get caught nicking one at 20 odd.

The only logical option is Smith. And that's why it'll be Smith, despite what any salty nuffies think about it.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Khawaja should be dropped, not made captain ffs.

I have all my fingers and toes crossed that the emergence of Labuschagne means we can finally piss Khawaja off for good. God knows I won't miss seeing him drop sodas on the field or get caught nicking one at 20 odd.

The only logical option is Smith. And that's why it'll be Smith, despite what any salty nuffies think about it.

Smith can not be considered for captaincy until March 2020,still think they should stick with Paine as they have no other choice.

Cainozz

Club Legend
Feb 6, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The dearth of leadership is scary. It’s probably going to be Smith again due to lack of credible alternatives. It’s a real worry.
Depends how well Head goes on with his career over the next year. I have a feeling though that he's just not one of those guys who goes on to make big scores like previous captains have.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney

last 2 in england
aussie summer - pak/nz
and 2 in bang

just read that the bang tour is in june, so that makes smith eligible to captain again after the aussie summer.

so if the selectors aren't sure who to captain or want smith, they only have to wait 7 tests.

if we picked one now, or at the end of the ashes series, you'd say they'd be locked in long term, so let's wait.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back