Australia's policy on climate change is completely inconsequential

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the hydro pumped storage scheme. But in Australia we'll probably be limited to the existing dams. Still, far greater capacity than any battery for decades to come. If we add solar and wind to generate 2000MW on the worst days, ( which is more than 2000MW of capacity, because solar and win don't often run at full capacity ) then the Snowy scheme would allow them to close Loy Yang. But then to make further progress we need another massive dam.
Nuclear as backup is kind of messy, its expensive, if you had it you'd probably want to use it all the time to get a return on investment, so not so great for a "backup". The whole backup concept means you need X amount of renewables, + a similar amount of backup. Makes the capital very high.

But if we did all this, climate change would still exist.
Let's just do it for our own selfish reasons. Improving our local environment.
Let's start to deploy technologies we know work and exist now, eg solar, wind, energy efficiency. With many industries dying off, could be quite a construction/economic boom as a bonus.
We can start r&d for implementing bigger projects in coming decades. Eg EVs, large scale base load renewables, biofuels, fuel cells, forestry improvements. Etc

Let's just do it for our own selfish reasons. Improving our local environment.
Let's start to deploy technologies we know work and exist now, eg solar, wind, energy efficiency. With many industries dying off, could be quite a construction/economic boom as a bonus.
We can start r&d for implementing bigger projects in coming decades. Eg EVs, large scale base load renewables, biofuels, fuel cells, forestry improvements. Etc

Improvement of local environment , perhaps.
Our air quality is generally pretty good already.

Have you seen the increase in electricity costs? They are way above inflation. Yay for cheap coal :drunk: And now we have a government set to extract expensive gas from Narrabri and sell it to us, while exporting cheaper gas overseas. Developing new renewables is cheaper than new coal power and we're not doing it at scale, because our pollies are in the pockets of big miners.

Seriously?
Supply demand. Close Hazelwood, create a shortage , put up prices.

We shouldn't "try" to develop anything. We are crap at development, we couldn't develop a simple train ticket.
We struggled to build a routine desalination plant without paying way more than anywhere else on earth would have.

I'm a bit opposed to big solar farms until all the roof space is used up.

Reason.
A big solar farm , will need a lot of land , so will probably need to be located a long way from the point of use... = high transmission costs and losses.

Panels on the roof are pretty much just as efficient , and are located at or near the point of use.
AND if its your own panel on your own roof , they can't charge you the ridiculous price mark ups.

Seriously?
Supply demand. Close Hazelwood, create a shortage , put up prices.

We shouldn't "try" to develop anything. We are crap at development, we couldn't develop a simple train ticket.
We struggled to build a routine desalination plant without paying way more than anywhere else on earth would have.

I'm a bit opposed to big solar farms until all the roof space is used up.

Reason.
A big solar farm , will need a lot of land , so will probably need to be located a long way from the point of use... = high transmission costs and losses.

Panels on the roof are pretty much just as efficient , and are located at or near the point of use.
AND if its your own panel on your own roof , they can't charge you the ridiculous price mark ups.
Yep seriously. Our current system is very expensive, unreliable and getting older. We need to be thinking about how to replace it/upgrade it in coming decades.

Comparative to some places globally yes, but more deaths from air pollution than road accidents is concerning.
I'd like to see the classifications on that study, what impact co-morbidities had etc. Asthma sufferers dying in a reaction to a pollen haze swept in by a thunderstorm shouldn't really count but that article mentions it.

There is sometimes a tendency to laying blame for an event at the climax, where someone passes away from a heart attack or stroke but it wasn't really the stroke or heart attack that caused their death - it was the 20 years of smoking, drinking and obesity that did that. They died of a heart attack or stroke but it was the lifestyle that killed them etc.

Comparing road traffic deaths to situations like the above would be unfair since most fatalities, not all, on the road are to otherwise healthy people who weren't going to pass away from a violent impact eventually.

Yep seriously. Our current system is very expensive, unreliable and getting older. We need to be thinking about how to replace it/upgrade it in coming decades.
It's a shame we didn't build nuclear power plants back in 2000. We could be almost entirely green electricity by now and secure in our green power for the next fifty years.

I'd like to see the classifications on that study, what impact co-morbidities had etc. Asthma sufferers dying in a reaction to a pollen haze swept in by a thunderstorm shouldn't really count but that article mentions it.

There is sometimes a tendency to laying blame for an event at the climax, where someone passes away from a heart attack or stroke but it wasn't really the stroke or heart attack that caused their death - it was the 20 years of smoking, drinking and obesity that did that. They died of a heart attack or stroke but it was the lifestyle that killed them etc.

Comparing road traffic deaths to situations like the above would be unfair since most fatalities, not all, on the road are to otherwise healthy people who weren't going to pass away from a violent impact eventually.
Yeah true. I guess you have to classify them one way or another. It's like someone dying at the hands of a drunk driver. Death attributed to alcohol or car?

Yeah true. I guess you have to classify them one way or another. It's like someone dying at the hands of a drunk driver. Death attributed to alcohol or car?
It's why we will never have a zero road toll, heart attacks while driving and the following single vehicle accident are added to the total.

Its far more reliable than renewables. We simply don't have the capacity, so in a shortage a private operator will gouge whatever he can.

And here we have bullshit A, vs bullshit B.

I think that since the 70's the EPA has been actively trying to get our air cleaner for health reasons, ( CO2 as a result of combustion is not considered a health risk ). Australia has also been actively adopting European standards for vehicle emissions, albeit lagging by a couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far all i'm hearing is a few people parroting. " We all gotta do our bit ".
I'm yet to hear how that solution will save the planet.

you'll get silence or crossing fingers

unfortunately, the only solutions that work are not palatable..................but the government aren't doing enough and should do more of things that don't work

many don't realise how many laws have been changed in recent times regarding nuclear, plus the plans for a new department and the assessments by the ADF. All of these have been bipartisan and signals to me, this is being investigated seriously.

To get the electorate onboard, we have to thank the bush fires and hopefully more solidifying events.

Do you have shares in the nuclear energy sector PR or are you merely a self appointed spokesperson?

many don't realise how many laws have been changed in recent times regarding nuclear, plus the plans for a new department and the assessments by the ADF. All of these have been bipartisan and signals to me, this is being investigated seriously.

To get the electorate onboard, we have to thank the bush fires and hopefully more solidifying events.

We can't stop the bushfires even if we stop all of Australia's emissions or are you suggesting we pretend that we can, so that we can get the technology over the line that will allow us to be seen to be doing the right thing?

Do you have shares in the nuclear energy sector PR or are you merely a self appointed spokesperson?

Yeah the Climate Council loses all credibility when it comes out in opposition to nuclear power. Exposes itself as an ideologically driven political entity.

Do you really think China, USA, India and Russia give a toss about 'following our lead'?

My assumption is that anthropogenic CO2 is causing dangerous warming to the planet, and that Australia's climate change policies make no difference. I understand if you want to feel like you 'are doing something'. But it's meaningless.

Australia is responsible for about 1% of global emissions. Australia and countries like us that emit up to 2% of total emissions make up about 40% of total emissions. We are also a rich country that can afford to make the necessary changes.

Should countries responsible for about 40% of total emissions do nothing?

Yeah the Climate Council loses all credibility when it comes out in opposition to nuclear power. Exposes itself as an ideologically driven political entity.
I'm sure in your myopia they never had any credibility anyway. Closed minds aren't the people they are speaking to.

I'm sure in your myopia they never had any credibility anyway. Closed minds aren't the people they are speaking to.
It is attitudes like this that don't do any favours for the 'advocates'.

The climate change movement has been all talk and very little action for nigh on 30 years, and it is the skeptics who challenge the 'science' that need to be won over in order to make any meaningful progress.

It is all too easy to stick to your idealistic echo chambers and pat one another on the back, but what good has it done so far?

It is attitudes like this that don't do any favours for the 'advocates'.

The climate change movement has been all talk and very little action for nigh on 30 years, and it is the skeptics who challenge the 'science' that need to be won over in order to make any meaningful progress.

It is all too easy to stick to your idealistic echo chambers and pat one another on the back, but what good has it done so far?
For most of the past thirty years in this country we've had a government that isn't even convinced climate change is thing and is happy to label those calling for more action like XR as bludgers while continuing to subsides fossil fuels like they're going out of fashion, which they are. If you're looking to apportion blame for this country's woeful inaction on climate change the blame is not with the activists. And the sceptics won't ever be won over because for them climate change is a culture war issue, not a scientific one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back