Australia's Summer of Cricket - Do We Need to Fix the Scheduling?

Should we change the future summer scheduling?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Less 50 over cricket and a 7 test summer like they do in England.

I hope next year is 3 Tests Sri Lanka and 4 Tests India. Sri Lanka will get shafted with 2, though

India will play Perth, Adelaide (D/N, both these fit their audience, $$$), Melbourne, and Sydney, so Sri Lanka open the season in Brisbane and Canberra

Edit: obviously I mean 18/19...

I hope next year is 3 Tests Sri Lanka and 4 Tests India. Sri Lanka will get shafted with 2, though

India will play Perth, Adelaide (D/N, both these fit their audience, $$$), Melbourne, and Sydney, so Sri Lanka open the season in Brisbane and Canberra

Edit: obviously I mean 18/19...

Sri Lanka are coming after India. Those 2 Tests will be played in mid/late Jan.

Is the Ashes next summer or is India/Sri Lanka touring?

Sri Lanka seems to be over every summer since 2006.

I mentioned that somewhere else; co-hosting the tri-series with New Zealand could revive interest in it and solve the issue of low crowds at games between neutral teams. Australia and New Zealand host the third team and split the matches between themselves.

Looks like CA has adopted your idea for next season.

2017/18
  • 1st T20I, Australia v NZ, SCG - Feb 3
  • 2nd T20I, Australia v England, Hobart - Feb 7
  • 3rd T20I, Australia v England, MCG - Feb 10
  • 4th T20I, NZ v England, Wellington Stadium - Feb 14
  • 5th T20I, NZ v Australia, Eden Park - Feb 16
  • 6th T20I, NZ v England, Seddon Park - Feb 18
  • Final, Eden Park - Feb 21

Saw that this morning; love it. Though T20s hardly need additional interest. I guess the deal on the Chappell-Hadlee trophy means the ODIs have to be bilateral for the immediate future. Hopefully they can reassess in the future.

They'll probably put the trophy up for this T20 series.

CA need to schedule at least 2 rounds of Shield cricket before the 1st test against the poms. Give the domestic one day tournament the flick, and move it into February.
I think they've said 3 rounds of shield before the ashes which is a very good move.

From what they've said commerical interests will mean a few rounds of shield before the first test isn't an every year thing

But from reading between the lines it looks like for the foreseeable future we'll be giving the team the best preperation to win home Ashes series and commercial interests will take a back seat to winning (and those commercial interests then get boosted anyway by the team performing better). With other series it looks like manipulation of dates and venues to maximise (both for the international team and domestic competitions) revenue will take precendence.

In the current climate it's not the worst compromise.

This summer's scheduling has been cooked. Just realised there is another 3 match ODI series against NZ stretching until the 5th of February!? Meanwhile you've got shield starting, the test squad training in Dubai, and 2 separate international games happening across the world later in the month.

That's 11 ODIs, the most irrelevant format of the game, in between tests throughout the summer. Pretty sure the best way to revive interest a dying format is not to cram as many games as possible with likely second rate squads. Just reeks of usual shortsighted money grabbing from CA.

/rant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is amazing when you contrast the Australian scheduling with our southern hemisphere cousins NZ and SA. They schedule Tests anywhere between October (or November in NZ) and March.

Us? Tests outside of the early November to early January timeframe are now basically unknown. We seem absolutely obsessed with basically condensing the Tests into a small window and then padding the rest out with hit and giggle. I find it particularly annoying that we insist on finishing Tests after the Sydney new year one- what was wrong with a couple other Tests in mid to late January? Bring back the Adelaide Australia Day Test...

It is amazing when you contrast the Australian scheduling with our southern hemisphere cousins NZ and SA. They schedule Tests anywhere between October (or November in NZ) and March.

Us? Tests outside of the early November to early January timeframe are now basically unknown. We seem absolutely obsessed with basically condensing the Tests into a small window and then padding the rest out with hit and giggle. I find it particularly annoying that we insist on finishing Tests after the Sydney new year one- what was wrong with a couple other Tests in mid to late January? Bring back the Adelaide Australia Day Test...

I've been thinking this in the last couple of days. If they insist on playing the Matador first, then they simply must flip the schedule. ODIs to open the year in November

The easiest way to build the schedule is to start with the immovable objects

26th-30th Dec MCG
3rd-7th Jan SCG

then add on from there

13th-18th Jan Perth (if Ashes)/Hobart/Canberra

24th-28th Jan Adelaide

And prior to Xmas

15th-19th Gabba

In a six Test summer, either start the Gabba Test 8 days earlier and slip Perth to Pre-Xmas, or make Perth the last Test in early Feb

That way, November is ODI season (preferably vs the touring Test side, and also the Chappell-Hadlee), and the T20s come after the Big Bash is finished

Another benefit here is you don't take a different set of players away from the BBL mid comp. Only the Test squad remains unavailable for the duration. And you can push the BBL finals back to the first week of Feb, which leaves room for expansion

What makes it weirder is that the period we condense the Tests into is more likely to be rain-affected than any other time in summer, too, in that transition period from the end of spring. I mean, you're almost guaranteed to get rain in Adelaide at the start of December, for instance.

What makes it weirder is that the period we condense the Tests into is more likely to be rain-affected than any other time in summer, too, in that transition period from the end of spring. I mean, you're almost guaranteed to get rain in Adelaide at the start of December, for instance.
Hobart in November...

Yet we have scheduled one Test in Hobart in the new year ever; against Pakistan in 2010. I'm pretty sure, rarely for Hobart, basically no time to rain was lost.

Are people seriously looking at test crowds and interest in NZ and SA, comparing to ours here, and concluding that we should be looking to emulate what they do?

Play more than 1-2 shield games before the first test so we have more of an idea of which players are in form. if this means making the matador cup even earlier then it is worth it IMO. Can't do much about the BBL, just hope that if we have an overseas tour close to after our home summer ends, that we can squeeze in a couple of Shield games before going on tour. obviously this is irrelevant if the selectors are picking the squad so far out in advance. I don't really give a toss about short form cricket but it was an odd time having the Kiwis over here for the 3 ODIs between test series.

I've been thinking this in the last couple of days. If they insist on playing the Matador first, then they simply must flip the schedule. ODIs to open the year in November

The easiest way to build the schedule is to start with the immovable objects

26th-30th Dec MCG
3rd-7th Jan SCG

then add on from there

13th-18th Jan Perth (if Ashes)/Hobart/Canberra

24th-28th Jan Adelaide

And prior to Xmas

15th-19th Gabba

In a six Test summer, either start the Gabba Test 8 days earlier and slip Perth to Pre-Xmas, or make Perth the last Test in early Feb

That way, November is ODI season (preferably vs the touring Test side, and also the Chappell-Hadlee), and the T20s come after the Big Bash is finished

Another benefit here is you don't take a different set of players away from the BBL mid comp. Only the Test squad remains unavailable for the duration. And you can push the BBL finals back to the first week of Feb, which leaves room for expansion

The problem is that anyone called into the Test squad mid-series is coming off T20 and not Shield cricket. Ideally the Tests would be in the latter half of the summer, but there is no chance of the BBL being moved so its not viable from a selection standpoint.

Back