Australia's Summer of Cricket - Do We Need to Fix the Scheduling?

Should we change the future summer scheduling?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes and its who cares cricket that leads into the real Test stuff

Pretty much! You need the ODIs first after a drought of no cricket to create interest in them. I mean, guess what I'm not watching now..

With the end of the tri-series, the whole of January is filled with cricket that has very little meaning. Gives the tennis a bit of a leg-up as Australia's summer sport. Would love to have cricket and tennis on all day for more than a few days at a time.

With the end of the tri-series, the whole of January is filled with cricket that has very little meaning. Gives the tennis a bit of a leg-up as Australia's summer sport. Would love to have cricket and tennis on all day for more than a few days at a time.

God I hope this T20 tri-series works so well that they somehow create an ODI one every season. I don't think I'll live to see my dream of a trans-Tasman quad series though!

So basically what I want to see:

October: Matador's (don't mind the tournament format honestly)
November: Shield/ODI's (because we'll actually have form to pick from with them)
December: Shield/Tests/Start of BBL (makes sense to pick the test series then)
January: BBL/Tests
February: Shield/T20I
March: Shield

I also wouldn't mind the top end series when India/England tour. For me we should have a 4 year rotation:

Year 1: Zimbabwe top end (???, Cairns, Darwin)/England (Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney)
Year 2: Sri Lanka (Perth, Melbourne, Sydney)/South Africa (Brisbane, Adelaide, Hobart)
Year 3: Bangladesh top end (???, Cairns, Darwin)/India (Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide)/West Indies (Perth, Canberra, Hobart)
Year 4: Pakistan (Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney)/New Zealand (Perth, Adelaide, Hobart)

Is Townsville fit for Test match cricket again? Because I abhor two test series and I'd love to put it at Canberra but it'd be too ******* cold.

November: Shield/ODI's (because we'll actually have form to pick from with them)

I also wouldn't mind the top end series when India/England tour. For me we should have a 4 year rotation:

Year 1: Zimbabwe top end (???, Cairns, Darwin)/England (Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney)
Year 2: Sri Lanka (Perth, Melbourne, Sydney)/South Africa (Brisbane, Adelaide, Hobart)
Year 3: Bangladesh top end (???, Cairns, Darwin)/India (Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide)/West Indies (Perth, Canberra, Hobart)
Year 4: Pakistan (Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney)/New Zealand (Perth, Adelaide, Hobart)

Is Townsville fit for Test match cricket again? Because I abhor two test series and I'd love to put it at Canberra but it'd be too ******* cold.

I fundamentally agree with this.

Also, Ireland+Afghanistan will fill out the top end series.

It is amazing when you contrast the Australian scheduling with our southern hemisphere cousins NZ and SA. They schedule Tests anywhere between October (or November in NZ) and March.

Us? Tests outside of the early November to early January timeframe are now basically unknown. We seem absolutely obsessed with basically condensing the Tests into a small window and then padding the rest out with hit and giggle. I find it particularly annoying that we insist on finishing Tests after the Sydney new year one- what was wrong with a couple other Tests in mid to late January? Bring back the Adelaide Australia Day Test...

I am sure I saw Tests as late as March here. Although not for a long time now.
Amazing how Adelaide lost their Australia Day Test status and got short changed with only a one dayer in it's place.

Schedules have been screwed ever since one dayers went from 10 to 15 in a year for the national side to extended to crazy amounts of 30 to 40 one dayers. India lead the way there and it became a run away train world wide. Add in T20 domestic comps now and it is never going to be balanced again.

I fundamentally agree with this.

Also, Ireland+Afghanistan will fill out the top end series.
Yep, maybe put Ireland on the English years and Afghanistan on the Pakistan years, moving Zimbots to the remaining year.

March Tests in Australia have only happened once or twice in the more modern era, and as far as I can remember, not since 1978-79 when Pakistan were here following the Ashes.

At the other end of the scale, I can only remember one October series, that being when Zimbabwe toured in 2003-04. I can still recall the empty stands at Sydney. That was the season that Sydney somehow got two Tests and Hobart none - CA evidently didn't want to schedule India down in Hobart, but also knew that October was virtually hari kari for any Test in Hobart on account of the weather, so neither Zimbabwe or India were scheduled there and Hobart missed out (as they did in 2004-05 when we only scheduled two Tests against NZ despite only having three against Pakistan after them).

It's amazing to think - I was born in 1988 and, excluding Bangladesh or Zimbabwe, I have seen every Test playing nation on Boxing Day at the 'G, except for one; New Zealand.

That they haven't played a Test in either Melbourne or Sydney since 1987 (1985 for Sydney) is really not good enough.

Apparently Traeger Park in Alice Springs is a good deck...?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, I suppose NZ (much like SA) want to be home playing their own games over Boxing Day/New Year which doesn't increase the chances of them playing in Melbourne/Sydney.

I'm just lucky that I went to Adelaide to see NZ in the day/night Test.

Don't think you'd want to be scheduling summer Tests in the Alice, though. Too hot.
There are only 7 grounds that you can realistically schedule during summer; the ones we see and Canberra.

Alice Springs has all of 25,000 people.

Tests won't be hosted there.

Darwin, Townsville and Cairns is fine. Darwin and Townsville especially have a lot of growth in them. I'd imagine that during our lives Townsville's population will overtake Hobart.

Didn't realise The Alice was so small. Still, Tests vs Zimbabwe, Bangladesh aren't really drawing many fans in any city. Once every few years would be ok

Alice Springs has all of 25,000 people.

Tests won't be hosted there.

Darwin, Townsville and Cairns is fine. Darwin and Townsville especially have a lot of growth in them. I'd imagine that during our lives Townsville's population will overtake Hobart.

Didn't realise The Alice was so small. Still, Tests vs Zimbabwe, Bangladesh aren't really drawing many fans in any city. Once every few years would be ok

If you can host an AFL match there not once but twice, why couldn't you host a potentially lower-drawing Test there?

Cricket calendar is far too over-saturated right now. A combined 11 ODIs + T20s within just 2.5 months is a surefire way to deter crowds. 4-5 Tests, 5-6 T20s and one 2-3 match ODI series would be more appropriate.

It's amazing to think - I was born in 1988 and, excluding Bangladesh or Zimbabwe, I have seen every Test playing nation on Boxing Day at the 'G, except for one; New Zealand.

That they haven't played a Test in either Melbourne or Sydney since 1987 (1985 for Sydney) is really not good enough.

I read a few months ago that CA were looking to replace the 2019-20 West Indies series with NZ (Boxing Day + Sydney tests), but not sure whether moves have been made on this front or not. 80k for NZ or South Africa would certainly be a much better look than another innings drubbing of WI before a half-full stadium.

Top End tests need to happen at least every 2-3 years IMO with Zimbabwe, WI, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Ireland all rotating between them. The latter three are probably well-supported in Australia (at least going by immigration figures) and might attract decent crowds.

AB Medal is on Monday. I guess we can't have it after this ODI series?

Would have thought logical time would have been at the start of April, after the Indian series. You know, after the full summer season is over. IMO it should be judged from April-March.

Issue will be persuading NZ to not have any international games over Boxing Day/NY in NZ, though.

Would ODIs against Bangladesh on Boxing Day (in Christchurch, 18,00 capacity) and NYE (in Nelson, 6,000 capacity) this year really have been big money spinners? Surely they'd be able to negotiate just as much if not more shared revenue from a Boxing Day Test at the MCG.

Back