Australia's Summer of Cricket - Do We Need to Fix the Scheduling?

Should we change the future summer scheduling?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, I'd actually love that. I understand I'd be in the minority though.

I've actually argued in favour of Collingwood playing as many games outside of Victoria and away from the MCG as possible before.

Hmm fair enough. Despite being an interstate Port supporter I disagree.

New Zealand have won more Test series in Australia than India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka combined, yet no Boxing Day since 1987 whilst all the aforementioned have

Pretty disingenuous statistic. If the Kiwis wanted a Boxing Day test they'd have got and would be getting them.

They are more of a drawcard than the West Indies.

It's not as simple as being a bigger crowd than West Indies. It has to be bigger enough to justify New Zealand Cricket forgoing home matches and the revenue for the Christmas-New Year period and Cricket Australia paying them to do so.

I think the drawcard aspect (as well as the interest from CA) would be the likelyhood of a more competitive Test, rather than one where the opposition takes 6/730, gets bowled out twice for under 300 in reply, and is over before stumps on day 4 like we got with the West Indies last year.

People going on day 1 don't care about day 4.

I'd like to see a 6 test series with NZ, 3 home and 3 away.

But yeah the schedule is munted. Makes no sense to have half the test squad in Dubai and the other half in NZ playing ODIs.
I really don't like those back-to-back series. We used to do it with South Africa, and then not play them in Tests for four years. Its great for that summer, but then way too long a drought.

Last edited:
Again? We just had that last season (albeit the 3 Test series in New Zealand became 2 Tests).

I think he means that the results collate into one series. I think it's genius!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/1082156.html

At the same time Sutherland has been selling the concept of a Test match league currently under discussion at the ICC. He has floated the possibility that numerous former certainties of the Australian home summer, like the Boxing Day and New Year's Test matches, may no longer be guaranteed for Melbourne and Sydney as teams find themselves facing different obligations.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::thumbsdown::fire:

At the same time Sutherland has been selling the concept of a Test match league currently under discussion at the ICC. He has floated the possibility that numerous former certainties of the Australian home summer, like the Boxing Day and New Year's Test matches, may no longer be guaranteed for Melbourne and Sydney as teams find themselves facing different obligations.

The BBL is already diluted with players that are either borderline state standard, or who don't have state contracts, due to the timing in relation to international matches. I mean, Steve Smith hasn't played a BBL match in three years! Adding further teams is just going to water down the quality further, and won't really provide any further opportunity for people to see their national team stars in action.

I'm in favour of expanding the number of games played (and feel it can be condensed to January alone, as I mentioned in the OP), but not the number of teams.

Last edited:

With the ascension of the Big Bash League - 8+ games a season in Melbourne (and that will increase) - the Boxing Day Test has already lost its ZOMG must go! appeal with the general public and is a diminished part of CA's revenues. Can easily see a future where it's a lock for the Ashes and India but otherwise moves around.

Last edited:

Firstly, how well have Geelong done out of supporters in high places?

Secondly, it would be interesting to see how many people go to the MCG test when it's in early November.

At the same time Sutherland has been selling the concept of a Test match league currently under discussion at the ICC.
Between Australian state teams ala BBL or internationally? I remember the concept of a test world cup thrown around, a round robin type tourney with only the top 4 ICC ranked test sides qualify, to be held in England. Funnily enough the idea was scrapped when both India and England fell out of the 4, the absurdity of a country hosting the alleged competition and not compete.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back