Australia's tour of the UAE October 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/jos...rab-emirates-uae-cricket-australia/2018-08-09

Neither Hazlewood or Cummins will be available for Australia's tests against Pakistan in the UAE coming up in OCtober. Given it's Tim Paine's first full tour as Test captain and with the spots vacated by Warner, Smith and Bancroft it's going to be a very interesting side picked. Luckily, both of the Marsh brothers look like they'll be fit for the tour.

My predicted XI for the first test:

M. Renshaw
S. Marsh
U. Khawaja
P. Handscomb
G. Maxwell
M.Marsh (vc)
T. Paine (c, +)
A.Agar
M.Starc
C.Tremain
N. Lyon

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/jos...rab-emirates-uae-cricket-australia/2018-08-09

Neither Hazlewood or Cummins will be available for Australia's tests against Pakistan in the UAE coming up in OCtober. Given it's Tim Paine's first full tour as Test captain and with the spots vacated by Warner, Smith and Bancroft it's going to be a very interesting side picked. Luckily, both of the Marsh brothers look like they'll be fit for the tour.

My predicted XI for the first test:

M. Renshaw
S. Marsh
U. Khawaja
P. Handscomb
G. Maxwell
M.Marsh (vc)
T. Paine (c, +)
A.Agar
M.Starc
C.Tremain
N. Lyon
Burns over Khawaja please.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
I wouldn't mind seeing us go in with an extremely long batting line-up because lets face it, Lyon is going to bowl continuously from one end and we could use as much batting as possible.

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
Handscomb
S.Marsh
Maxwell
M.Marsh
Paine
Agar (SOK plz)
Starc
Lyon

Starc and Marsh will probably break down but oh well.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
This Pakistan side though is beatable even in the UAE (just probably not by this Australian side). They'll likely go in something like:

Azhar Ali
Imam Ul-Haq
Haris Sohail
Asad Shafiq
Babar Azam
Sarfraz Ahmed
Shadab Khan
Mohammad Amir
Yasir Shah
Hasan Ali
Mohammad Abbas

Lyon could have a field day with that batting line-up although unlikely we will ever get enough runs even if he does. They'll probably pick an off spinner to bowl at our left handers however I don't know who that would be.

Burns over Khawaja please.

I just don't see them picking Burns after how much he struggled in Sri Lanka last time he was in the team. I know Khawaja didn't do any better, but he's the incumbent and is the most experienced Test batsman available in Australia, they'll have to pick him.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
This Pakistan side though is beatable even in the UAE (just probably not by this Australian side). They'll likely go in something like:

Azhar Ali
Imam Ul-Haq
Haris Sohail
Asad Shafiq
Babar Azam
Sarfraz Ahmed
Shadab Khan
Mohammad Amir
Yasir Shah
Hasan Ali
Mohammad Abbas

Lyon could have a field day with that batting line-up although unlikely we will ever get enough runs even if he does. They'll probably pick an off spinner to bowl at our left handers however I don't know who that would be.
Without Smith, it probably won't matter which spin bowlers they pick. They've always got more than useful part-timers who can pick off our batsmen.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wouldn't mind seeing us go in with an extremely long batting line-up because lets face it, Lyon is going to bowl continuously from one end and we could use as much batting as possible.

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
Handscomb
S.Marsh
Maxwell
M.Marsh
Paine
Agar (SOK plz)
Starc
Lyon

Starc and Marsh will probably break down but oh well.

God the batting is thin for an overseas tour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
I don't see hazlewood and cummins being out meaning anything though, one frontline quick and marsh is enough pace as three spinners or two spinners and Maxwell will do all the work.

Series will yet again be lost by the awful batting line up, bowlers gave us a shout in India but even with Smith we couldn't do the job so even a better bowling effort than the last UAE tour won't change the end result.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Is it just me or are we having a tour of the UAE every couple years now?
Just you I think. Pakistan have been playing in the UAE since 2009 and we've been on a test tour there once and it was only 2 test 4 years ago. We've had a couple of short ODI-only series there as well but they were before that 2014 series.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Just you I think. Pakistan have been playing in the UAE since 2009 and we've been on a test tour there once and it was only 2 test 4 years ago. We've had a couple of short ODI-only series there as well but they were before that 2014 series.
Could've sworn we had a series in 2016 as well, oh well

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
That squad will get murdered
You could assemble the best Australian squad of the last 10 or so years, and they'd struggle over there.

Only way things could go differently is if two or three bats have their best ever series, and get right on top of the bowling for both innings of one test. I wouldn't bank on it happening, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back