Australia's tour of the UAE October 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

No Maxwell is an effing joke !!! How many batsman available do we have that have made a test 100 in Asia ??
And to not even let him prove his worth by not taking him to Aus A tour is a disgrace. I thought after sandpaper gate the selectors might have started to pull there fingers out and picked the best side for Aust Public but obviously not

How many more wickets does Chris Tremain need to take in Shield cricket to be considered ahead of nobodies like Brendan Doggett?

Tremain over the last three Shield seasons - 29 matches, 129 wickets, 20.39 average, 3.01 economy rate, 40.65 strike rate

The man is a machine. I cannot understand the obsession with bowlers who hit 140, over bowlers who actually take wickets. Tremain is the closest we have to Hazlewood - so with Hazlewood out, Tremain should be in (and in the XI). Mind you, Michael Neser has been growing on me this last couple of seasons...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Travis Head bats way too loosely for my liking but I hope he does well given, well, how many decent batsmen do we have around his age in Australia?

It's pretty bare. :/

I like the inclusion of Travis Head. He can win a game off his own bat - a couple of years ago, he towelled up WA in every single format. Sure, he’s inconsistent, but he’s still young. And his career average suffers from being picked too early when SA were struggling. Give him a chance, and I see him having a decent test career.

The man is a machine. I cannot understand the obsession with bowlers who hit 140, over bowlers who actually take wickets. Tremain is the closest we have to Hazlewood - so with Hazlewood out, Tremain should be in (and in the XI). Mind you, Michael Neser has been growing on me this last couple of seasons...

Tremain bowls faster than Neser.

I think Sids is a good choice, he's in decent nick and a good older head on what might be a pretty tough tour could be helpful.
But can he get a wicket on flat decks? Hitting the seam on a good length works in county cricket, in the UAE all it does it dry up the runs (not a bad thing in itself but only worthwhile if wickets look like coming at the other end). Is the older head worth using a spot on a probable safe but not wicket-taking bowler? I'm in two minds on that one.

Unless he is there as insurance. The decks will be low and slow, but they might not be rank turners. Pakistan has a decent enough pace attack, so they might not want a dustbowl from day one. Siddle might be insurance in case of some early life.

a 60 and a 30 is hardly smashing the door down

I thought it was more but fair point.

Still rather take a punt on him rather than going back to a tried player again

Patterson missed out because of his poor showing on the India A tour. Meanwhile Head stood up on that tour.

Tremain's absence makes absolutely no sense at all though.

Patterson missed out because of his poor showing on the India A tour. Meanwhile Head stood up on that tour.

Patterson is also one of our worst players of spin bowling! He makes
Khawaja look good

We should have wiped the slate clean and axed all the current selectors. How many baffling calls have they made over the last few years . Maddinson, Ferguson, Sayers, Bird, Maxwell, Burns, etc they get picked for one match then get axed. Maxwell went back scored hundreds and near even a triple for VIC. Inconsistent

Maxwell must have accidentally run over someone's dog (replace accidentally with repeatedly and dog with daughter). Quite surprising he's not been picked, would add experience and X-factor, plays spin well. They are obviously treating this series as something of an experiment given we need to unearth some batting talent and fast, but I'm not quite sure how they plan to line up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should have wiped the slate clean and axed all the current selectors. How many baffling calls have they made over the last few years . Maddinson, Ferguson, Sayers, Bird, Maxwell, Burns, etc they get picked for one match then get axed. Maxwell went back scored hundreds and near even a triple for VIC. Inconsistent

#sacktheselectors
Ive also had enough, can we get a petition going :think:

Trains like a bum. If your squad is pathetic and s**t you might as well expect at least 80% from your Squad, maxwell can't even do that. Thus i dont want him anywhere near guys who are given a chance to be professionals.

I don't mind Siddle. Starc can bat at the 4 however?

Like Labuschagne inclusion.

Our summer is stuffed anyways. This is an exercise of getting young talent in, Surrounding them with good influences (Siddle inclusion and Maxwell out) is a clear indication hard workers will go in, Thus next summer is the one maybe if we unearth 1-2 players it's a win

Last edited:
Trains like a bum. If your squad is pathetic and s**t you might as well expect at least 80% from your Squad, maxwell can't even do that. Thus i dont want him anywhere near guys who are given a chance to be professionals.

Like Labuschagne inclusion.[/QUOTE]

Ponting was in the media yesterday saying how hard he works at training

Maxwell must have accidentally run over someone's dog (replace accidentally with repeatedly and dog with daughter). Quite surprising he's not been picked, would add experience and X-factor, plays spin well. They are obviously treating this series as something of an experiment given we need to unearth some batting talent and fast, but I'm not quite sure how they plan to line up.
"X-factor" Stuff that.
Maxy doesn't seem to have the head for Test cricket. That said, despite all my doubts about his reliability, I would have chosen him - and been forced to put him into a position of responsibility, maybe even at #4. There aren't many others who have shown more on slow decks that may well turn, possibly only Smith and as I recall he made himself unavailable. And I'm well among the Maxwell disbelievers.

I can only assume he was left out because of the (true or not I don't know) perceived personality issues. In a post-sandpaper world maybe they want more level-headed people. Obviously he wasn't part of that debacle, but maybe the concern played into it.

Tremain is incredibly unlucky as well.
He'd look at that squad and go WTF.

His performances in Shield cricket have been second to none in recent seasons. Pace can't be the reason as he pushes into the mid to high 130's which is about standard for our second line quick bowlers and quicker than others who have been picked (i.e. Sayers, Bird and Mennie).

Ponting was in the media yesterday saying how hard he works at training[/QUOTE]
Pointing may have said that, But there has been numerous articles how he's abrasive, rubs people the wrong way and has been known to be lazy at training. Going to have to side with the majority of reports over Pointing

Our summer is stuffed anyways. This is an exercise of getting young talent in, Surrounding them with good influences (Siddle inclusion and Maxwell out) is a clear indication hard workers will go in, Thus next summer is the one maybe if we unearth 1-2 players it's a win

Ponting heavily endorsed how hard Maxwell trained and Langer stated today Maxwell has Ponting like ethic of training especially in terms of fielding work.

If they think he hasn't posted enough hundreds thats fine but keep in mind other guys selected like Head and Finch haven't either. Team selection over a number of years has been a joke. Ferguson, Maddinson and Mennie for example get selected and ditched straight away no chance to have a decent crack at it yet guys like Shaun Marsh and Shane Watson constantly got chances.

Back in the day guys were made to earn the spot in the side but once they were in they got a decent crack at it and we become a great side because of it.

Ponting was in the media yesterday saying how hard he works at training
Pointing may have said that, But there has been numerous articles how he's abrasive, rubs people the wrong way and has been known to be lazy at training. Going to have to side with the majority of reports over Pointing[/QUOTE]

:thumbsu::drunk:

Glenn Maxwell has confirmed he ignored offers to play county cricket in England this year after being first advised by Cricket Australia to rest ahead of the Australia A tour of India and then ahead of the Test series against Pakistan, before being left out of both squads.

If that is true, that is absolutely poor by Cricket Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back