Austrian F1 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Won the apex.
Won the corner.
Has been so since racing was invented.
Stewards, by the letter of the law as quoted, took into account actions of both drivers.
When you’ve lost the apex, lost the corner, you have to back off to avoid contact.
Correct decision, play on.
Good post

Won the apex.
Won the corner.
There's no "winning" the corner. It's just a continuation of occupying space, and who should be there.

Has been so since racing was invented.
With respect. I question your knowledge of the formative years of motorsport. You'd be in for a shock if you thought what you think of racing is normal.

Stewards, by the letter of the law as quoted, took into account actions of both drivers.
Yeah, and they've completely ****** it up, and will make it difficult for themselves later on.

When you’ve lost the apex, lost the corner, you have to back off to avoid contact.
Correct decision, play on.
There's no losing the apex or corner. There's the start of the straight. Leclerc was in the process of either passing Verstappen or maintaining his place, before Verstappen shoved him off. All you have to do is ask why Verstappen didn't clip the apex of the kerb? He had heaps of room, but he's a grotty campaigner.

As an aside. It's kind of shits me when "fans" view racing as a form of footy or roller derby, therefore apply the same notions on it. It isn't and never has been.

F1/car racing is just another form of racing. As such, your opinions should be formed off other forms of racing as to what F1/car racing should do. That includes forms of racing you don't like.

Only followed F1 for 40 plus years.
But hey, I’ll bow to your superior knowledge of the “formative” years.......
I tried engaging years ago with F1 forums, back in the days of dial up, and found the majority of F1 followers to be very, very one eyed and unable to see past their favourite team/driver.
None of these fans could actually enjoy the sport when their favourite driver/team lost.
I thought this forum may be diffferent and the followers would enjoy the drama/entertainment of the sport.
I see I was completely wrong.
When the swear filter is activated it’s pretty much a lost cause.

You know if would have been interesting if it were Hamilton in Verstappens position, because Lewis had specifically been taking a different line through that corner all weekend (entered it deep because of a more favourable slope), so the question of why didnt you hit the apex could have been answered with "because its not my preferred line through T3"

Up until that lap though, Verstappen had been taking the traditional line through that corner (and to great effect, he got some great exits)

Racing lines aren't always a universal thing, look at the opening few turns in Shanghai and how drivers approach that, or some of the corners around Suzuka.

You would just have to ask both Leclerc and Verstappen didn't clip the apex of the kerb, and you'll get the answer to any guilt or wrong doing.

It'll also be telling where Verstappen started braking that moment, compared to what he normally did. That's not so obvious to the eye.

It's the start of the straight, and Verstappen was never clear of Leclerc. What's he doing leaning him off.

You can get upset. But why didn't Verstappen clip the apex of the kerb, when he had plenty of space to do so?

How much later than normal did he apply the brakes that time compared to what he'd normally do?
The stewards have answered all your questions.
As you well know.

Late braking is the hallmark of a good driver. Just ask Ricciardo.

My initial thought was that it was a bad move, and was penalty worthy.

But I am glad that the race win was not stripped of a driver for an incident like this. I know thats probably hypocritical and inconsistent
I get this pov. But the more inconsistency you see, the more it'll s**t you later on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back