Austrian F1 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course they are - they are making a point about how stupid they are but it's only fair if they penalise Verstappen considering they got penalised. Honestly... how hard is that to work out?
Well rules are rules.
You’ve been reported for personal abuse.
It’s the rules after all, all there in black and white.

Funny now Ferrari are defending the same “rules” they challenged over two weeks.
Why wouldn't they, or should those same rules not be applied this week because you want the result to stand? If the letter of the law was implemented in Canada despite no real alternative, they should be implemented here.

Why wouldn't they, or should those same rules not be applied this week because you want the result to stand? If the letter of the law was implemented in Canada despite no real alternative, they should be implemented here.
Some people have a hard time understanding simple things.

If they were such defenders of the rules, they shouldn’t have challenged them.
For what it’s worth I disagreed with the Canada ruling as well and fully supported the Ferrari challenge.
As I will if RB have to challenge a ruling

You've spent WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to much time on the SRP board. Your brain is fried.
Just take a step back and breath FFS.
It's the motor board, not my opinion is right and I'm going to shout it from the rooftops.
Never said that. I was debating it using logic and evidence.. unlike some.

I wonder how much the stewards will look at Hamilton and Rosberg back in 2016. First thing I thought of when I saw the incident.

At least Max gave Charles more room than Rosberg gave Hamilton :straining:

Under the rules, I think there will be a penalty. If this was a fight for P12 and P13 midway through the race, it would likely be a penalty. Obviously its a lot tougher given the circumstances of the race (like it was in Montreal) but the rules don't take into account the state of the race, just the incident.

As usual though, I do have to wonder if some people in this thread would be reacting differently if it was Charles (or Daniel) trying to overtake Max.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how much the stewards will look at Hamilton and Rosberg back in 2016. First thing I thought of when I saw the incident.

At least Max gave Charles more room than Rosberg gave Hamilton :straining:

Under the rules, I think there will be a penalty. If this was a fight for P12 and P13 midway through the race, it would likely be a penalty. Obviously its a lot tougher given the circumstances of the race (like it was in Montreal) but the rules don't take into account the state of the race, just the incident.

As usual though, I do have to wonder if some people in this thread would be reacting differently if it was Charles (or Daniel) trying to overtake Max.

Looking at the Rosberg one, if he got a penalty then Max has to get one.

The rationale given for the decision makes it sound so clear cut, but if it was that obvious why did it take hours for them to reach that conclusion? Would be great if someone bugged the room so we could hear the back and forth.

Shame about the decision, but thats how it goes, Congrats to Max.
Bad that Honda the ricers get a win...
And on we go...

The way I interpret racing, I see it as two different situation (Even though it's at the same corner). I also think Rosberg attempting to pass Verstappen at Hockenheim a few weeks later was more comparable to this one, and Rosberg got done for it.

Fwiw, generally speaking. The Rosberg Hamilton thing was approaching the corner, Verstappen/Leclerc was exiting, and that makes a difference to me.

Hamilton was ahead at the point where it was reasonable to turn in but Rosberg didn't turn and corralled him wide, and that's a no from me.

Verstappen was ahead exiting the corner at the point of contact. He disrupted Leclerc's momentum and corralled him off the circuit.

To make my point view. If Leclerc had been second attempting to pass Verstappen on the outside leading up to t3, and Verstappen corralled him off halfway up the straight, people would get that that's a no no. The difference being that this happened a few metres into the straight as opposed to 800m further up.

You'd have to deliberately veer into the path of the trailing car on a straight. Verstappen didn't deliberately veer onto Leclerc (even if he straightened the wheel), but he is responsible for the inertia of the car. That is a result of the of him going a tad harder into the corner than he should've. He was nowhere near the apex of the corner turning in. People think s**t like that doesn't matter, but it does.

Going wide to take a faster exit is a legitimate move, and doesn't necessarily mean a green light to the trailing car run someone off the track. If a WC like Damon Hill doesn't get that, then it just diminishes him.

Last edited:
Fwiw, generally speaking. The Rosberg Hamilton thing was approaching the corner, Verstappen/Leclerc was exiting, and that makes a difference to me.

Hamilton was ahead at the point where it was reasonable to turn in but Rosberg didn't turn and corralled him wide, and that's a no from me.

Verstappen was ahead exiting the corner at the point of contact. He disrupted Leclerc's momentum and corralled him off the circuit.

To make my point view. If Leclerc had been second attempting to pass Verstappen on the outside leading up to t3, and Verstappen corralled him off halfway up the straight, people would get that that's a no no. The difference being that this happened a few metres into the straight as opposed to 800m further up.

You'd have to deliberately veer into the path of the trailing car on a straight. Verstappen didn't deliberately veer onto Leclerc (even if he straightened the wheel), but he is responsible for the inertia of the car. That is a result of the of him going a tad harder into the corner than he should've. He was nowhere near the apex of the corner turning in. People think **** like that doesn't matter, but it does.

Going wide to take a faster exit is a legitimate move, and doesn't necessarily mean a green light to the trailing car run someone off the track. If a WC like Damon Hill doesn't get that, then it just diminishes him.
but hard racing!!!! You can race hard and overtake without colliding.. just ask ADR.

Well if you can’t go up the inside, get ahead then take the normal driving line, why bother even attempting overtakes?
You know, Charles had the option of taking his car out of danger by backing off.
Back off? I thought you wanted to see "racing"?

You've been denied an opportunity of seeing two guys have a drag race for the lead going into t3! Possibly to see Verstappen make a clean move to take the lead! If Leclerc still held on, that on it's own would've been incredible. If he did hold on, you've missed the opportunity to see Verstappen make a "clean" move for the win on the second last or last lap!

Disappointing in my eyes.

Yes yes, Prost, Senna, Schumacher, no contact racing back then was there?
You are comparing 1.2 metre wide cars with 2 metre wide cars.
No comparison.
[/QUOTE]
I saw the last few years. Despite all the focus on controversial moment. This is largely overstated.

He never pointed him off. He never spun, he never hit a wall.
Any of those things happened and you have a valid case for “demolition derby”.
Verstappen did corral Leclerc off track, as per my previous post.
There was a comment earlier about Norris when he did a Dan dive for an overtake. In that case it was clean because the opponent knew he was done and protected both cars by acknowledging that fact.
Leclerc too a wider line for a faster exit and has been denied an attempt to overtake Verstappen into t3.

Thank you World Champion Damon Hill.
Ask him what he thinks of the 1994 Australian GP?

Great in car shot.
Max did not release the steering until after the contact was made.
So all this “turned left” or “ turned into him” shown to be incorrect.
The word for the day is "corralled".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back