Auto-Renewing Memberships

Remove this Banner Ad

As membership 'season' approaches, I was wondering if anybody had any experiences with club memberships being renewed without your knowledge.

Often clubs will renew memberships for the next year without asking, charging your credit card.

Its an opt out thing, once you've signed up you're there for good. I made the mistake of buying a members polo one year, the next season, it was added on to my membership automatically. These clubs will just keep taking money until you opt out.

Personally I don't have a big problem with it. I always get a notice before I get charged and when I first signed up there was notice that it was going to be an auto-renewing membership until you opt out.

Its convenient when you're lazy and don't want to change things from year to year like me.

We get a choice this year. When you sign up and choise the payment option you have to selecct one of Monthly payment, annual payment or "one off" . The latter will not automatically renew.

We have both options, normal contact us and buy a membership memberships, and Troo Roo for Life which is an ongoing thing where it's renewed until you cancel it and charged over 10 monthly payments.

I'm not sure how other clubs do it but when you buy a membership for Hawthorn through the ticketek/ticketmaster website the auto renewal is automatically selected and you cant proceed without it. This is why I always get mine either in person or over the phone coz I'll pay when I'm ready

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have auto review, but we receive a letter with all the details, including total cost, and how much monthly.

Auto renew is fine provided you're notified of price changes prior to renewal.

Lack of price increase dialog has mean't that I've decided to ring my club and tell em I'm opting out with my card for 2018.

I get why they do it but it's dodgy.

I know with my club you can put the auto renewals on hold up until mid decemeber. Not sure how other clubs work but I'd say it would be an option for most.

It certainly comes around very quickly, I would mind a few months break to reassess my options.
I did have to move quickly with mine to manually renew. I wanted to add cheer squad membership as an option for interstate games, and a premium package that includes 2 insider sessions with the club coaches and finals tkts from the club allocation.
Last year they upgraded me after auto renewal on the phone easily enough though.

I have a Victorian Eagles membership which auto renews.

However, I have already received several emails. One indicating the expiry date on my card needs to be updated.

The renewal won't happen until after the release of fixtures as I relates to number of games in Melbourne.

Last year there were about 5 emails before the charge was made.

Pretty sure the Eagles will keep taking my money and the standard pound of flesh right up until I kick the bucket....and maybe for a few years after that.

With the new stadium I'm anticipating it to go up to 2 pounds of flesh, and have been gaining weight this winter in preparation.

I got a Victorian Crows Membership and it auto-renews - But I've had about 3 emails and half dozen text over the last fortnight telling me that it was charge my card tomorrow

I think they've given sufficient warning if I wanted to cancel it

Yup same with me. I'd say for any auto renew payment I've had the AFC have by far given me the most warnings and opportunities to cancel and opt out. And after that Grand Final performance I thought about it too!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back