Review AUTOPSY: Dogs Win A Cracker Over Hawthorn (despite many supporters panicking as usual) - Rd 2, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw that on On The Couch. I couldn't believe it. Surely it's a good thing, right?
I think it is more good than bad.

There is the argument that we're exposed on the turnover by over committing on offence.

However, I was at the game and throughout the 2nd quarter and for a lot of the first the Hawks looked bereft of ideas on how to combat our relentless entries and weight of possession. They fed off our mistakes (many of which I would class as unforced errors) but were unable to generate any scoring off their own bat.

Take the unforced errors out of our game and that's a 10 to 12 goal win for us and it's well over by half time. I suspect that wasn't lost on Clarkson.

When we tighten up and reduce/eliminate those unforced errors & improve our conversion rate a smidgeon then we're going to be dishing out some schellackings as we look to have the capacity for cohesion and multiple scoring options and methods forward now.

Another thing that Roos talked about, and I mentioned last week, was the brain power residing in our 3 midfield prime movers being Libba, Bont and Macrae.

That brain power combined with their ice in veins characters , residing as it does in the teams central nervous system, can be found in few other teams. Their ability to make strategic onfield decisions and influence the match directly in the absence of coaches instruction through runners cannot be under estimated.

Another thing that Roos talked about, and I mentioned last week, was the brain power residing in our 3 midfield prime movers being Libba, Bont and Macrae.

That brain power combined with their ice in veins characters , residing as it does in the teams central nervous system, can be found in few other teams. Their ability to make strategic onfield decisions and influence the match directly in the absence of coaches instruction through runners cannot be under estimated.
You can add McLean to the brain power conversation. He is a super smart footballer.

In R1 McLean and Bont worked some absolute magic by reading ahead of the play moving to space on the outside as soon as we caused a turnover in the middle of the ground - which finished with Bont running into an open goal.

Hate is too strong a word Fronk. I find his game, on the offensive side of the ball, at times to be really frustrating.

For me that outside runner who gains the vast majority of their possessions in an uncontested manner needs to be devastating with the ball to capitalise on the hard work done by the grunt men inside. It is a key ingredient to scoring and scoring heavily. Think Josh Kelly, Duncan, Hill, Shuey, Polec, Isaac Smith, etc.

Lachie's lack of blistering speed, penetration with his kicking and general indecisiveness hold him back from being a true outside offensive weapon. Which is a shame as his defensive actions, commitment, leadership and tank are as good as they come.

9 of our top 10 players for putting the ball inside 50 this season have all either hit the scoreboard themselves or had an assist. Lachie has our 3rd most entries but is yet to contribute directly to a goal. Unfortunately this is not a statistical outlier as this side of his game has been poor for quite some time now.

There’s uncontested possessions and then there’s uncontested possessions. Hunter gets his by being first to the loose ball through unbelievable gut running. Not from waiting on the outside to receive from Libba and Macrae.

I see him as a link player, rather than an outside player. He’s very good in the contest when required as well.

I feel good when he’s around the ball.

Agreed, bargain.

What do you think of Duryea so far?

Great round 1 DR. A bit shakier on the weekend. He’s tough, competes hard and has a nice left peg the majority of the time.

I’d prefer Williams for sure, but duryea will play plenty of footy for us, and for the price we paid, was a nice get. Massive upgrade on someone like roarke smith.

I have crozier in another class entirely though.

Your thoughts DR?

It's only round 2, but all of the sudden you have a makeup of a very dangerous forward line in the works. Not one player will kick 50 goals but all of the sudden you have 5 guys with the ability to kick 30 goals this year (Schache, Gowers, McLean, Naughton & Dickson). Add in other players who should kick 20 (Lloyd, Bont, Wallis) and it has some serious potential as a group.

Haha took all my restraint not to like every post in there
Wow, just went and had a look at that thread for the first time, what a shitshow. I can't believe some of them are still going off the deep end two days later.

There’s uncontested possessions and then there’s uncontested possessions. Hunter gets his by being first to the loose ball through unbelievable gut running. Not from waiting on the outside to receive from Libba and Macrae.

I see him as a link player, rather than an outside player. He’s very good in the contest when required as well.

Are you suggesting that the names I mentioned as comparable players to Hunter are not gut runners? Isaac Smith ran 15km against us on the weekend. Lachie ran 14km. Hill did 15km, Phillips, Atkins, Polec, Kelly, etc are all elite two way runners.

You feel good when he is around the ball and I respect that.

I feel like when he has the ball in his hands forward of centre that we are either going to miss a scoring opportunity or a turnover goal is a very real possibility. I feel the same when Easton has the ball in his hands.

Regardless, both are premiership players so we have already shown that their dodgy use by foot wont stop us from being able to compete for a flag.👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The stats and eye test don't support happy feelings when Hunter is kicking.

Very similar poor kick to Wallis. Walis is a better handballer and set shot. Hunter is a better runner and accumulator. Wallis more inside - Hunter.more outside.

Its funny that even with similar weaknesses people can not like one player and like another.

I admit I like Wallis more than Hunter possibly because i can forgive pooorer kicking in an inside mid. Outside mids with s**t kicking and poor decision making I find harder to forgive.

Each to their own.

It would have been nice if they'd given more detail of the rule that the ump pinged Worpel on and then the AFL said was wrong. Most people were surprised by it so it might have helped educate the public (and those coaching and playing the game) to understand their interpretation. Is there such a rule? IF not, what was the umpire thinking? And if there is, why was Worpel not in contravention of it?

It's unfortunate for Hawthorn (and fortunate for us) but the example made of O'Meara and Sicily (and there was another against the Hawks near the boundary line earlier in the match) may have woken everybody up that jumper punches are not going to be tolerated and could prove very costly. Pretty sure clubs will be ordering players to be more disciplined about this in future ... at least until the AFL moves onto it's next pet issue-of-the-month.

Don't go like trolling the hawks board melts... you may find your ability to like removed. Doesn't cost anything to be a silent observer of said melts though

You have to be a real special snowflake to get upset over posts being "liked". Is there any actual rule against liking a stupid post? Btw I understand it's their mods you're referring to, not yourself. I just can't imagine our mods doing anything if an opposition posters came on here and liked some of our melts, nor should they. It's a bit over the top moderation for my taste.

Hunter only got 4 goal assists last year from 77 inside 50s, an average of .2 a game. Same number of goal assists as Lipinski (27 i50), Webb (11), Dale (15), and Roarke Smith (8). 23 players got more goal assists than him, only 3 with more inside 50s.

This year he's equal second for inside 50s and hasn't had a goal assist yet. Richards and Smith have 2 each, for all the criticism they get. He's a great defensive player and accumulator but for some reason he's getting the ball when we're attacking too often. I'd almost rather him on half back.

You have to be a real special snowflake to get upset over posts being "liked". Is there any actual rule against liking a stupid post? Btw I understand it's their mods you're referring to, not yourself. I just can't imagine our mods doing anything if an opposition posters came on here and liked some of our melts, nor should they. It's a bit over the top moderation for my taste.

I get to see all reports. People do report when someone goes on a post like spree. One Essendon supporter during the Stringer saga went and liked 100's of posts here, dating back to Stringers draft year. Few people did report him over the constant notifications/spam. I personally don't care about single like here or there, if someone is spamming though, they can lose the like button for annoying me.

Honestly, it's funny as * seeing a dumb post get mass liked by opposition fans. I see no reason for mods to step in on that

Attachments

• 1554172735362.png
    1554172735362.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
afed5547fa1e135a18c1647e09fb2f61.jpg

i loved seeing their fans lose their s**t

have taken a while to get to it but brilliant to see us back playing good footy..

i prefer 2015 as a comparison than 2016 but there are massive stylistic differences of course. I say 2015 because we look potent again with that really nice amount of toughness. We used to be very good at killing teams by half time. Our ability to win repeat centre clearances has improved with a high leaping ruck and a cohesive forward line.

we definitely did hand hawthorn their goals in this game. Sometimes we get obsessed with not wasting the pill that we end up doing more than wasting it. Striking the ball movement balance is tough but against good teams simple things are required:

1. Win the ground ball which was no issue for us and might not be this year overall.

2.Back our talls. You can tell our mids aren't used to having an aerial beast like Naughton up forward. The bloke can destroy many in his path. He's shouldering an enormous physical load to get the Love Shack nice clean runs at the ball. It's actually a beautifully simple forward line. Full of smart players on the deck.

English is not the finished product but he is protecting the air nicely and it's because when you're that tall you just need to get in position early. His running capacity suits that nicely.

Caleb is a critically important player for us. We're not the intercept marking team that Collingwood or West Coast are, but our aerial defence was brilliant. When you have the cleanest hands and feet in the west as the first link in the chain out of defence you become a tough team to put pressure on. Caleb will draw plenty of attention in coming weeks as he is our anti-pressure. JJ's return will time nicely and luckily we have a lot of blokes that like creating by foot back there. Funnily enough i see Caleb as having replaced what made Matty Boyd great under Beveridge. His hands were beautiful and we could just get into offence so quickly.

Thought the turning point in this game was Dickson going from a step behind Stratton to running off with the ball. You could tell we were gaining ascendancy in the overall contest when that happened and we kept the water bashing against the damn wall from there.

Libba, well, i'll just echo what many have said here. He brings the attitude. Maniac of a competitor. Lays really nice out-of-position tackles with one hand and can be a heck of an offensive player when he's humming.

Nice start to the year. An identity is building and it's fun to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back