Autopsy Autopsy in Every Sense of the Word - Freo Embarrassed by Geelong - Rnd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

arsesmart

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think it’s pointless going into the weeds and dissecting every player.

The whole team was as flat as a pancake. How often do you see so many guys just get run down. Not making any excuses as Geelong showed why they are where they are on the ladder, but Tas to a Thursday game with the travel and disruption that goes along with that was more than telling for me.
We definitely were flat-footed. A lot. So often lead to the ball or totally reactive to another Geelong player open in space.

Experience would really help with the giddiness of coming off a defining win in Tassie, returning after 3 weeks away from home and backing up after a 5-day break to boot.

Battle-hardened Geelong has that experience in spades with only one of that suite of disruptors to contend with.

It's really easy to get smacked in the AFL with a small combination of factors swinging one way and also to the other.

anchor man

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dynamic Dockers &South Fr
Shattered by the first half.But was led into some light early in the second half, but soon the light at the end of the tunnel blew out.
They were just too big, too skilled and appeared too fast.
We were out done in every facet of the game except for the Herculean effort from Darcy.
We seemed lead footed all night.Not sure if it was from the away home game against the Blues plus the Tassie flight and game,then the flight back home and the five day break.Our kicking went way back last night.How many times did wekick to a three on one when the one was either Henry or Schultz!!!
But what also has to be remembered is that Geelong are in the midst of attempting to buy a premiership.They have many experienced big bodied players from other clubs.They are in the process of playing money ball.
A disappointing night for sure, but the stickers will stick, the maoners will moan.But mostly we will all stay.

Randomizor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
OK, I don't know you from a bar of soap malpaso but I do know salim malik and your suggestion is really disrespectful to a long-term loyal Freo supporter. I think what some people don't get is that we all support in different ways, and we all have different levels of tolerance for the crap that was dished up last night.

Fremantle will definitely win a flag(s) at some point, but more and more I feel that might not be in my lifetime, and I know lots of others who are getting the same feeling. Each year we go in thinking this is the one we will finally show we are on the march and each year we get a harsh reality check.

So when you are criticising people for their passion, maybe have a think about the person behind the keyboard and what Fremantle means to THEM, not just to you.
Really, really well said.

If the mods had a suggestion box I’d ask them to think about cracking down on posters suggesting another poster doesn’t really support Fremantle, or is a Freagle, or really supports WC etc. I have even had a moderator suggest I’m truly a Giants supporter in disguise. The same moderator I’ve met at Freo Bigfooty meet-up events, and travelled to Freo finals games with.

It’s just a really weak attempt to stifle opinion one doesn’t agree with and contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation.

I’ve read on in this thread and the poster claims it was just a question and I think the benefit of the doubt should be applied, but this “no true supporter” stuff is just as toxic as any negativity could be.

Snuffaluphagus

Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Really, really well said.

If the mods had a suggestion box I’d ask them to think about cracking down on posters suggesting another poster doesn’t really support Fremantle, or is a Freagle, or really supports WC etc. I have even had a moderator suggest I’m truly a Giants supporter in disguise. The same moderator I’ve met at Freo Bigfooty meet-up events, and travelled to Freo finals games with.

It’s just a really weak attempt to stifle opinion one doesn’t agree with and contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation.

I’ve read on in this thread and the poster claims it was just a question and I think the benefit of the doubt should be applied, but this “no true supporter” stuff is just as toxic as any negativity could be.
What do you think Freo are doing well and what are your concerns/ things you would change before next year?

Randomizor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
What do you think Freo are doing well and what are your concerns/ things you would change before next year?
I like how we have and are continuing to blood the young blokes, particularly in the midfield. I think that decision will end up paying dividends in the future (if it hasn’t already).

I also think whatever we are doing in defense generally holds up. I rarely have any complaints in that area.

The thing to fix is probably rather obvious, but goal kicking. Not that I know if that can be fixed in the few weeks of the season we have left, but I want to see a club-wide focus on it, including in their messaging. This may be something they are indeed working on internally but the messaging to the supporters has been that it “will work itself out” which frankly isn’t good enough.

trentjac

All Australian
Jan 30, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
+'ve:
Sean Darcy
My seats are undercover and I didn't get wet
Butter Chicken I ate for dinner was pretty good.
One of my negatives:

seeing someone devour the loaded butter chicken chips, getting envious, going down to grab a serve, to then being told they’re sold out before half time 😭

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s really important to realise we are not the finished product & games like this happens to all teams. The players were off & there were clear reasons (not excuses) for that.
Anyone who’s played footy has been in a team where nothing goes right & at any level it’s very hard to change that mid game especially v a team like Geelong.
They’ve got bigger fish to fry & are looking to secure a top 2 with a list that’s done it for years. We are trying to sneak into the 8 & have no idea on how to go about that. We learn from this game & we go to school on it, that’s all you can do &use the learnings to be better the next time we’re in that situation.
There is no way we are that bad a team as we would have been beaten by everyone, unfortunately we were not mentally ready for that game & the players & coaches need to work out why & get better.

Snuffaluphagus

Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I like how we have and are continuing to blood the young blokes, particularly in the midfield. I think that decision will end up paying dividends in the future (if it hasn’t already).

I also think whatever we are doing in defense generally holds up. I rarely have any complaints in that area.

The thing to fix is probably rather obvious, but goal kicking. Not that I know if that can be fixed in the few weeks of the season we have left, but I want to see a club-wide focus on it, including in their messaging. This may be something they are indeed working on internally but the messaging to the supporters has been that it “will work itself out” which frankly isn’t good enough.
I’m legitimately surprised that’s your only a concern, it sounds like you think we are on the right track to success?

Jack The Godfather

07, 09, 11
Feb 16, 2007
On Top Of The World
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Syd FC, Pelicans, Saints
Chin up guys. I've seen enough of you this year to suggest you're only a couple of years away from being a really good side if you can manage to stay healthy.

I think you have the best ruckman in the game so the platform is there to build on.

Good luck for the rest of the year and beyond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BettercallSaul

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Arsenal, Vikings.
Not until we clean that crap up. Some of it was slapstick.

And wear appropriate boots in the wet.
Trouble is it’s was predictable that we would slip over, I said to my cousin sarcastically pre-game that we always chose the right boots and won’t slip over at crucial times!🤦🏻‍♂️🤪

Freo16

All Australian
Aug 4, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you take the emotions out of it, I think it’s pretty clear that this game was somewhat of an outlier
We’ve played the other top teams and for the most part we’ve been within 4-5 goals, the excessive travel and short turnaround clearly had a big impact, with a more ‘normal’ buildup, we still wouldn’t have beaten Geelong I don’t think but it would’ve been a much closer contest

sdfc

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
If you take the emotions out of it, I think it’s pretty clear that this game was somewhat of an outlier
We’ve played the other top teams and for the most part we’ve been within 4-5 goals, the excessive travel and short turnaround clearly had a big impact, with a more ‘normal’ buildup, we still wouldn’t have beaten Geelong I don’t think but it would’ve been a much closer contest
No we're soft.

Snuffaluphagus

Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think there are a lot of genuine and acceptable reasons we lost that game the way we did, all of which have been touched on, however, the club has had three chances this year to show they can stand up IMO. Derby, Carlton 2nd game and this week and we’ve come up short every time. Sometimes you just need to show a bit more.

There are 5 more difficult games left in the season so they have 5 more chances to show what they are made of.

sdfc

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
I even had some hope when we kicked a couple early in the third, before the slippy slips got us again.

Deluded.

Freo16

All Australian
Aug 4, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think there are a lot of genuine and acceptable reasons we lost that game the way we did, all of which have been touched on, however, the club has had three chances this year to show they can stand up IMO. Derby, Carlton 2nd game and this week and we’ve come up short every time. Sometimes you just need to show a bit more.

There are 5 more difficult games left in the season so they have 5 more chances to show what they are made of.
And on those games I’d agree with you but we’re not 10 goals + off the top teams

I still think there’ll be some surprises in the remaining games

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad