Autopsy Autopsy in Every Sense of the Word - Freo Embarrassed by Geelong - Rnd 18

Mr Cheese

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Oh geez. The good old five year plan theory.

Not even Stalin would of had the balls to submit our “How do we fix Freo” to the Politburo.
We're playing exactly like a team of our experience generally does. It doesn't take a lot to be off to get a hiding in AFL, especially from arguably the best side in the comp, performing near to or at their best. We were off for whatever reason, and got a hiding.

If you look at how we're tracking however:

Defence - Improved, and can expect to firm up when key players actually play sequential games together.
Mids - Brilliant on their day, still susceptible to fade outs and skill errors under pressure.
Forwards - Believe it or not improving. Accuracy aside, have been progressing nicely this year. Again would benefit hugely from having all key players play together for an extended period.

We've massively improved ball movement this year (one of the better sides in the comp in fact) and accuracy has been the single thing that has held us back. I'd argue fixing that should be a priority and I'd expect to see an improvement in players as:

1) The youngsters get fitter, stronger and more experienced.
2) The team lineup stabilises and the team gels as it plays together more.

Are we perfect? * no. Do we need some better players in certain positions? * yes, but we aren't the major shitshow people here seem to think we are.

Last edited:

BigRang

All Australian
Mar 11, 2011
South of the Black Stump
AFL Club
Fremantle
We're playing exactly like a team of our experience generally does. It doesn't take a lot to be off to get a hiding in AFL, especially from arguably the best side in the comp, performing near to or at their best. We were off for whatever reason, and got a hiding.

Defence - Improved, and can expect to firm up when key players actually play sequential games together.
Mids - Brilliant on their day, still susceptible to fade outs and skill errors under pressure.
Forwards - Believe it or not improving. Accuracy aside, have been progressing nicely this year. Again would benefit hugely from having all key players play together for an extended period.

We've massively improved ball movement this year (one of the better sides in the comp in fact) and accuracy has been the single thing that has held us back. I'd argue fixing that should be a priority and I'd expect to see an improvement in players as:

Are we perfect? fu** no. Do we need some better players in certain positions? fu** yes, but we aren't the major shitshow people here seem to think we are.
The voice of reason. 🙌🙌

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle

Are we perfect? fu** no. Do we need some better players in certain positions? fu** yes, but we aren't the major shitshow people here seem to think we are.

Imo the forward half is the major problem.
The defense is sorted , the mids ok if they can take up the slack when Mundy and Fyfe give it away.
The forward half consists of a 28 year old injury prone , a tweener who is neither a key or ruck and an 18 year old rookie as our key forwards.
The midsize forward s at the minute consist of Banfield a D class inside mid and Sturt another injury disaster, The smalls are a mixture of D mids, foot soldiers, a tired champ and youngsters learning the ropes.
That group as a forward half does not fill me with positive thoughts for next season.

I'm with Salim, 'improving' is about the nice thing I think you can say about the forwardline. I just dont see enough quality there to do anything meaningful.
1) Treacy I love but is not going to be a generational KPF, he has limitations that I think are going to be hard to overcome (will still be a terrific player for a long time but he's not someone I think finishes top 3 in the Coleman)
2) Henry is the only one each week that has that creativity you need in the forwardline and again, while I love him, there is still a LOT of unknowns with him. He's no guarantee to become the superstar we want him to be.
3) Sturt is exactly what we need in that forwardline and I've got higher hopes for him then anyone on our list but the dude cant get on the park.

Motlop's league debut was pretty exciting, fingers crossed he can help fill the void. The dream scenario is in 4 years, our forwardline is something like;

Henry Treacy Sturt
Motlop Taberner Williams

There is a lot of water to go under the bridge for that to happen, even more for that to happen and for it to be as good as we want it to be

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm with Salim, 'improving' is about the nice thing I think you can say about the forwardline. I just dont see enough quality there to do anything meaningful.
1) Treacy I love but is not going to be a generational KPF, he has limitations that I think are going to be hard to overcome (will still be a terrific player for a long time but he's not someone I think finishes top 3 in the Coleman)
2) Henry is the only one each week that has that creativity you need in the forwardline and again, while I love him, there is still a LOT of unknowns with him. He's no guarantee to become the superstar we want him to be.
3) Sturt is exactly what we need in that forwardline and I've got higher hopes for him then anyone on our list but the dude cant get on the park.

Motlop's league debut was pretty exciting, fingers crossed he can help fill the void. The dream scenario is in 4 years, our forwardline is something like;

Henry Treacy Sturt
Motlop Taberner Williams

There is a lot of water to go under the bridge for that to happen, even more for that to happen and for it to be as good as we want it to be
I agree Treacy isn't a generational player but I don't think its true to say he couldn't be a top 3 coleman finish. That direct leading style with proper delivery (think Hawks 3peat) could easily get him 5 shots on goal per game ( from decent spots. Thats 60-70 goals with his kicking. Basically a short Ben Brown who also tackles.

Obviously the delivery is a big if but I am thinking it's plausible if Cerra stays, Valente comes on and Henry and Sturt stay out there.

If a 32 year old Tabs is a KPF in our dream scenario in 4 years then we may as well lock up the front doors at Cockburn and throw away the key.
Tabs is going to be delivering more than anyone we draft this year in 4 years unfortunately unless they are a generational talent

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree Treacy isn't a generational player but I don't think its true to say he couldn't be a top 3 coleman finish. That direct leading style with proper delivery (think Hawks 3peat) could easily get him 5 shots on goal per game ( from decent spots. Thats 60-70 goals with his kicking. Basically a short Ben Brown who also tackles.

Obviously the delivery is a big if but I am thinking it's plausible if Cerra stays, Valente comes on and Henry and Sturt stay out there.

Since when has Tabs lead directly at the ball carrier? He's a deep pocket leader or he motions the kicker to get it in long to a contest, there is a reason he has only kicked one bag of 5 goals in his career, he doesn't get many easy goals from 30m out directly in front.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tabs is going to be delivering more than anyone we draft this year in 4 years unfortunately unless they are a generational talent
That's why we should ditch Lobb for 3 picks between 15-30 and draft ALL of the WA talls in the hope one is a hidden superstar.

Can keep our first for Erasmus just for you.

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
meh, we got to a grand final and had a fair crack at a hawks three peat side with a past his prime pav, ballas, walter and mayne as our only consistent goal kickers.

sturt, treacy, henry, shultz, switta is a good start.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
meh, we got to a grand final and had a fair crack at a hawks three peat side with a past his prime pav, ballas, walter and mayne as our only consistent goal kickers.

IF we play lower the eyes footy, sure, but when have we seen that? It's definitely possible with Mundy, Cerra, Young kicking it i50 though.

Do JLo and Hale have the gumption/awareness to pull the trigger on it?

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
IF we play lower the eyes footy, sure, but when have we seen that? It's definitely possible with Mundy, Cerra, Young kicking it i50 though.

Do JLo and Hale have the gumption/awareness to pull the trigger on it?
yeah true. however i think you slightly missed what i was trying to say.

basically people were getting a bit pessimistic about our forward line future. thought i'd just say do we honestly need an all conquering forward line. the players we have now will produce a semi decent forward line. these players are a good start.

not saying i don't want to improve our forward line but we shall be fine.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle

3 of those in the GF side made all Australian and the other is playing decent footy interstate.
Let's hope Treacy, Sturt and Henry can do the same .

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
3 of those in the GF side made all Australian and the other is playing decent footy interstate.
Let's hope Treacy, Sturt and Henry can do the same .
fair point.

edit; slightly off topic, but i think its relevant. Our rebuild started in 2016. the players drafted since then are in the age bracket from 18-23. I think we should judge who we have in our forward line after the next 2 drafts. If we nail a tall forward then i think that changed the narrative about pessimism regarding our future forward line.

Last edited:

vidwhal

Grade A Douchebag
Oct 4, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Knicks
I think you're highlighting the actual problem. We should've placed higher emphasis on drafting forwards higher up in the draft, earlier.

Back