Review Autopsy thread vs Saints round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

I will be heaping praise on this team when we go deep into the finals.

As far as i am concerned, until then, we all need to be keeping a lid well and truly on things, last night being a prime example.

For all our wins, we still have yet to really kill a team. And that's a worry, that we have lapses of concentration and the side sits back and admires their handiwork, and lets the opposition back into the game. We need to be more of team that smells blood and puts the foot on the throat. As was aforementioned, percentage at the business end of the year is absolutely going to count.

In terms of positives for yesterday: JK was terrific last night and Gaff was very good. But there would be 20 other guys fronting up to the club to watch the review in the next couple of days that will watching that last quarter and feeling ill

As Vince Lombardi once said: Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

A win is a win, sure. But playing as we did last night isn't going to win us a grand final.

We will chalk up yesterdays game as the lapse we had to have, and i will duly dish out praise when it is warranted.

You're wasting your breath arguing with fanbois. Fanbois will never accept that there are Eagles supporters out there who don't have the same mindset and outlook of the team as they do. Hence they attempt to browbeat anyone claiming to support the team they do, who doesn't behave like them, into being a reflection of them... as exemplified by their browbeating of you. Fanbois are a waste of time. They're more akin to the Fakebook Eagles supporter group. In my experience, they're more interested in putting a positive spin on everything in order to make themselves feel good, rather than having to deal with inconvenient realities. That's why I don't waste my time discussing footy with such people.

I suppose this means you will never dish out praise during the home and away rounds then. :rolleyes:

We have killed teams. Gold Coast? Bulldogs? Richmond?

There is a reason why our percentage is better than all but two teams in the competition.

Correct. Percentage tends to be pretty good when you have won ten games in a row, irrespective of how close the margin happens to be.

The Richmond game was an excellent outcome, no doubt.

You're wasting your breath arguing with fanbois. Fanbois will never accept that there are Eagles supporters out there who don't have the same mindset and outlook of the team as they do. Hence they attempt to browbeat anyone claiming to support the team they do, who doesn't behave like them, into being a reflection of them... as exemplified by their browbeating of you. Fanbois are a waste of time. They're more akin to the Fakebook Eagles supporter group. In my experience, they're more interested in putting a positive spin on everything in order to make themselves feel good, rather than having to deal with inconvenient realities. That's why I don't waste my time discussing footy with such people.

r/iamverysmart

We are not going to win a grand final playing the way we did last night, pure and simple.

In some quarters however, scraping home after nearly giving up a 48 point final quarter lead against a cellar dwellar like St Kilda still deserves praise and kudos.

The sooner we get our of heads around the fact that this team has vast, vast scope for improvement, the better off we will all be.

And by improvement as it pertains to last night, the team needs a big kick up the ass. Then we all move on to the Sydney game after the bye and hope we can concentrate for 4 solid quarters of footy.

Wait, do you mean when we smashed the reigning premiers by 47 points? Or Port Adelaide by 46? Is 45 plus points not enough?

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you mean by "we have yet to kill a team". Just because we only best St Kilda by 13 doesn't mean it's representative of our year. We've smashed teams, and won 10 in a row while doing it.

There's a difference between high expectations and ridiculous standards of perfection that you want.

10 goals is considered a smashing.

I may be incorrect, but how many 10 goal victories have we had this season? none?

Compare that to Melbourne and Richmond. If you think such large margins of victory don't matter, if we finish 3rd or 4th and have to play interstate, it will matter mightily. Remembering, we still have a very tough back end of the draw and percentage is going to count. With the possible exception of the Bulldogs in Perth and/or the Lions at the GABBA, i can see no easy kills for a percentage booster

I am going to be shaking my head later in the year if we miss out on top 2 and all and sundry are bemoaning our lower percentage and lack of huge winning margins

We are not going to win a grand final playing the way we did last night, pure and simple.

In some quarters however, scraping home after nearly giving up a 48 point final quarter lead against a cellar dwellar like St Kilda still deserves praise and kudos.

The sooner we get our of heads around the fact that this team has vast, vast scope for improvement, the better off we will all be.

And by improvement as it pertains to last night, the team needs a big kick up the ass. Then we all move on to the Sydney game after the bye and hope we can concentrate for 4 solid quarters of footy.

West Coast missed an opportunity. There's no need to close up shop early when there's a bye the following week. West Coast lacked killer instinct; they should've viewed their position at 3 quarter time to don the skis and put the Saints to sword, with a view to how it may affect their standing at the end of the H&A season. WC dropped the ball. The fanbois alluding to 'a win is a win' and 'gotta be happy with 10-1' conveniently ignore this larger point.

I may be incorrect, but how many 10 goal victories have we had this season? none?

Compare that to Melbourne and Richmond. If you think such large margins of victory don't matter, if we finish 3rd or 4th and have to play interstate, it will matter mightily. Remembering, we still have a very tough back end of the draw and percentage is going to count. With the possible exception of the Bulldogs in Perth and/or the Lions at the GABBA, i can see no easy kills for a percentage booster

I am going to be shaking my head later in the year if we miss out on top 2 and all and sundry are bemoaning our lower percentage and lack of huge winning margins

You do know percentage is only a tie breaker if the points total at the end is the same, yeah?

If we are 16-6 with a percentage of 120% we are ahead on the ladder of a team that is 15-7 with a percentage of 150%. Then one of the teams may have a draw which renders percentage effectively meaningless anyway.

If we miss out on top 2 or top 4 by percentage then we deserve it.

Ooh!! what a guy. I'd say you are doing such people a huge favour.

Ah, I see. So the arbitrary amount is 60 points - those 2 goals and a point vs Richmond will be devastating at the end of the year.

I'm not saying that the last quarter against St Kilda is acceptable, but you can't act like it's indicative of our season as a whole.

Ooh!! what a guy. I'd say you are doing such people a huge favour.

You didn't didn't need to out yourself as a fanboi here, as regular readers of this forum are likely already aware of you and your ilk.

Wow, the team wins 10 games in a row and some people are crying over the percentage not being high enough. Of course things aren't perfect but the Eagles are finding ways to keep winning and stay high on the ladder, which is all that is needed at this time of year. The 4th quarter last night was pretty poor but at least it means no-one at the club will be getting ahead of themselves.

I hate our crowd. You feel weird for cheering or remarking on the game as most everyone around you remains quiet during play and raise a mild cheer and clap for a goal.

I've been to a Fremantle game this year, the buldogs one, and aside from Fyfe Freo were pretty crap but their crowd has a vibrancy we simply do not. Younger on average too.

Eagles games are almost awkward to be at. Very weird collective culture we have.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Interesting, this gets mentioned often here. I've not been to a game for years, but from what i can gather, the Eagles crowd demographic is older, senior, pensioned, retirees - baby-boomers! Presume most of them are longtime and long-term members who can also afford the ongoing cost of everything involved. I guess most of them have been around since Eagles early days, they've now just got older and quieter? Or the new stadium has given easier, safer access to a more senior demographic who wouldn't normally attend Subiaco? Anyway whatever the reason, it will change as they gradually die out and probably be replaced by a younger more vibrant crowd...a generational thang?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the reason people got so aggravated was because it was reminiscent of last years team that changed game style when they thought they had it won and got run over time and time again, without being able to stem the bleeding.

Hopefully this game was an aberration for the team this year. They can't run down the clock for a quarter, it's pessimistic rubbish, complacency and a poor state of mind for the players to ever venture into.

The bye has come at a good time though, I hope Darling is ok. It was good to see JK get his mojo back.

Just caught up on this thread, wtf is this sh*tfight that's going on? Fair enough to be disappointed in lastnight's fade-out, but FMD it's the stage of the season where you just bank the 4 points and move on. No team in modern footy can maintain peak form for any length of time. Realising this and just being happy with the win and the season to date hardly makes someone a fanboy. FFS

West Coast missed an opportunity. There's no need to close up shop early when there's a bye the following week. West Coast lacked killer instinct; they should've viewed their position at 3 quarter time to don the skis and put the Saints to sword, with a view to how it may affect their standing at the end of the H&A season. WC dropped the ball. The fanbois alluding to 'a win is a win' and 'gotta be happy with 10-1' conveniently ignore this larger point.
No-ones ignoring anything, it is what it is, a tired looking game just before the bye, get over it, move on. I think that's just a reflection of your fantasy, what you wanted to see happen. But it didn't pan out according to your script, they didn't put the Saints to the sword for any number of reasons, none of which probably have anything to do with what you think-or expect? And if anyone disagrees with you, they're automatically a fanboi?...says more about you and what you project onto the Eagles. It's just footy dude, lighten up...

We could win every game until the end of the year by 1 point and we'd still finish top regardless of how many thrashings Richmond or Melbourne may dish out. Just fyi.

Like I said before, if we finish 3rd because of percentage then so be it. We deserve it. It is not possible to have foot on the throat for 100% of game time in any game, let alone for the entire season. If Richmond is able to deliver the 10 goal thumpings to overhaul our percentage, then they deserve it.

If this is the 'reality check' or 'loss we had to have', and we get away with 4 points and 10-1 at the halfway point, I'd take it every single day of the week and twice on Tuesdays.

I think some posters need a 'reality check' (not singling out individuals) - it is impossible for a side to win every quarter and every game. Even the GOAT sides took their foot off the pedal and let the opposition get a run on occasionally, the key is that they do it less often than others. I am confident that if we are in the same position at 3QT in September that we would not let it slip.

It's quite strange that our two worst performances this year have been against lesser sides that we should have beaten by more, ie Carlton and now St Kilda. Has to be above the shoulders and just go in with the wrong mindset?

Interesting, this gets mentioned often here. I've not been to a game for years, but from what i can gather, the Eagles crowd demographic is older, senior, pensioned, retirees - baby-boomers! Presume most of them are longtime and long-term members who can also afford the ongoing cost of everything involved. I guess most of them have been around since Eagles early days, they've now just got older and quieter? Or the new stadium has given easier, safer access to a more senior demographic who wouldn't normally attend Subiaco? Anyway whatever the reason, it will change as they literally die out and no doubt be replaced by a younger more vibrant crowd...a generational thang?
Just because one is in the older demographic doesn't mean you cant show some passion!

It's quite strange that our two worst performances this year have been against lesser sides that we should have beaten by more, ie Carlton and now St Kilda. Has to be above the shoulders and just go in with the wrong mindset?

Perhaps, but if we can take it easy mentally and still win it shows we've got the right stuff. Because when the crunch game rolls around (eg Hawks, Tigers, GWS), we stepped it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back