Autopsy Autopsy Thread vs St Kilda: The End Is Nigh

Remove this Banner Ad

What a gutsy prediction! Saints never won a flag with Robert Harvey, does that mean he is the same class as Lindsay?

Also interesting our worst season in a decade occurred when Lindsay was mostly out of the team!

Dont look at the light Z...dont look at the light......its a trap....

Didn't go to the game.
Watched on TV.
I still find this season encouraging.
Another thing encouraging was seeing Mila Kunis in her Jim Beam Ad at every break.
Call me crazy but i just don't rate her. I liked her in 'forgetting sarah marshall' but I'd still make love to kristen bell over her and i hate blondes. Now if olivia wilde advertised jim beam I'd turn into frank gallagher by the end of the weekend.

Positives:
-Garner keeps getting getting and staying fit
-Brown is worrying defenders and umps are actually paying him frees regularly now.
-mountford and simpkin have the moves
-thought turner played alright down back

Out: nielson (rest)
In: McKay

No autopsy thread - we really don't give a **** any more, do we?
Did not watch the game. I checked out after the Richmond loss tbh. Luckily went to Hobart and saw the Collingwood game but I don't think I've ever been less interested in away games this much since 2009.

The changes thread was five pages last week. It's never been 5 pages.
In every other year I think it's been five pages half way thru the game being played when we we're getting pumped.

The Kelly and Martin threads however is a different story.

Mate, I stopped tipping us weeks ago. Saints had all the incentive today and it showed. We're doing what we have to do and personally, I'll be very happy with pick 1 or 2, although they are completely uncharted territory for us.

You were right, but it was a very easy call to make. In context, Saints haven't won one with Riewoldt in the team, Geelong didn't win one with Gary Snr in the team, Melbourne didn't win one with Robbie Flower and Jim Stynes in the team.

Richmond won one with Daryl Freame in the team. We won one with Stuart Anderson in the team and another one with Shane Clayton there.

I assume the point is obvious - it's not about individual players.

Come to think of it, Richmond have gone down hill ever since Daryl Freame retired ...
I don't buy all that incentive s**t. Our guys (players and coaches) are playing for their careers, if that's not enough incentive nothing is. Look at Ben10. He was never going to roll over, nor Brown and Taz. A lot of the others either can't follow instructions, can't understand the instructions or are being instructed to play kiss chasey.

We have a massive hole on our list. Massive. Players who have played 50-100 games. I reckon these players are crucial - they have played enough to be relied upon, but are young enough to get much better. Under 50 and you're still kind of working out what you've got. Over 100 and you kind of know exactly what you've got and how good they can be.

On our list we have 6, just 6, 50-100 game players. Mullett, Williams, Jacobs, Brown, McDonald and Hrovat. Only Brown, McDonald and Hrovat played today. We have 24 players who haven't hit 50 games yet and 10 of those played today. 7 are under 20 games. And literally none of our 100+ game players are going to be better AFL players in the future than they currently are. So our improvement falls on 6 guys between 50-100 and the hope, just hope, that some of our 24 become what we want them to be.

With that in mind, what did people expect today? I don't rate St.Kilda much, but they are way ahead of us. Today, they had zero players under 20 games, 5 under 50, 7 between 50-100 (Membrey's on 49). Lose today and they don't play finals, beat up on the 17th side and build some percentage and they keep their hopes alive. North, on the other hand, were playing for nothing. It's been a long, shitty season and I reckon it's not just the supporters who want it to end. We were on a hiding to nothing.

Hopefully, in 3-4 years all those under 20 game players will be 50-100 game players and we'll be better than St.Kilda are now - a well balanced list with lots of improvement and upside but not good enough yet to consistently mix it with the big boys. But for now, we're not even that and most sides will gobble us up.

Yes, it was a really poor performance. Really poor. But it's a really poor list with a really poor number of injuries and for the most part of three months they've played really poor football and are coming to the end of a really poor season.

We have a massive hole on our list. Massive. Players who have played 50-100 games. I reckon these players are crucial - they have played enough to be relied upon, but are young enough to get much better. Under 50 and you're still kind of working out what you've got. Over 100 and you kind of know exactly what you've got and how good they can be.

On our list we have 6, just 6, 50-100 game players. Mullett, Williams, Jacobs, Brown, McDonald and Hrovat. Only Brown, McDonald and Hrovat played today. We have 24 players who haven't hit 50 games yet and 10 of those played today. 7 are under 20 games. And literally none of our 100+ game players are going to be better AFL players in the future than they currently are. So our improvement falls on 6 guys between 50-100 and the hope, just hope, that some of our 24 become what we want them to be.

With that in mind, what did people expect today? I don't rate St.Kilda much, but they are way ahead of us. Today, they had zero players under 20 games, 5 under 50, 7 between 50-100 (Membrey's on 49). Lose today and they don't play finals, beat up on the 17th side and build some percentage and they keep their hopes alive. North, on the other hand, were playing for nothing. It's been a long, shitty season and I reckon it's not just the supporters who want it to end. We were on a hiding to nothing.

Hopefully, in 3-4 years all those under 20 game players will be 50-100 game players and we'll be better than St.Kilda are now - a well balanced list with lots of improvement and upside but not good enough yet to consistently mix it with the big boys. But for now, we're not even that and most sides will gobble us up.

Yes, it was a really poor performance. Really poor. But it's a really poor list with a really poor number of injuries and for the most part of three months they've played really poor football and are coming to the end of a really poor season.

Plug in a Kelly and/or Martin and the dynamic changes a lot though. A VFL reserves team aids us with development too. I think the 3-4 year timeframe you see will only be 1-2. Other than that you are pretty much completely right. However I still think we can get more out of our 100+ gamers. Atley could find consistency after just 3/4 of a year playing in the middle, I think Jack showed glimpses early on before injury that he can almost match it with the best and off season acquisitions could allow him to flourish as a 80% forward 20% mid, and I think Higgins has some more upside if he is less of a lone dynamic hand in the midfield.

I don't buy all that incentive s**t. Our guys (players and coaches) are playing for their careers, if that's not enough incentive nothing is. Look at Ben10. He was never going to roll over, nor Brown and Taz. A lot of the others either can't follow instructions, can't understand the instructions or are being instructed to play kiss chasey.

Mav, that's why you had a stupid bet and you lost.

Plug in a Kelly and/or Martin and the dynamic changes a lot though. A VFL reserves team aids us with development too. I think the 3-4 year timeframe you see will only be 1-2. Other than that you are pretty much completely right. However I still think we can get more out of our 100+ gamers. Atley could find consistency after just 3/4 of a year playing in the middle, I think Jack showed glimpses early on before injury that he can almost match it with the best and off season acquisitions could allow him to flourish as a 80% forward 20% mid, and I think Higgins has some more upside if he is less of a lone dynamic hand in the midfield.

Well I'm working on no Kelly/Martin as they aren't signed on yet. Going on the Saints, they won 5 in 2013, 4 in 2014 and 6.5 in 2015 and even now aren't in the finals and only middle order. Unless we get some top-end talent in, then the road back is a long one.

Nope it's why I'm winning! Dogs had more incentive than Port and were favs, but 50 points on Port keeps me well in front.

I picked Port too. That's because the Dogs are rubbish. I picked Sydney, too. It's easy at this time of year. I missed Carlton only. I've gone 8-8-8 the last 3 weeks. Again, it's not because I'm a guru (well, perhaps that's part of it), but it's easy this time of year with different incentives and some fairly clear indication of teams who are pretenders (I'll help you - apart from Dogs, it is Saints when they're not playing bottom teams, WC away, and Essendon).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I picked Port too. That's because the Dogs are rubbish. I picked Sydney, too. It's easy at this time of year. I missed Carlton only. I've gone 8-8-8 the last 3 weeks. Again, it's not because I'm a guru (well, perhaps that's part of it), but it's easy this time of year with different incentives and some fairly clear indication of teams who are pretenders (I'll help you - apart from Dogs, it is Saints when they're not playing bottom teams, WC away, and Essendon).
You only got 8 last week??

I find it funny that Saints fans going to the game to ay bye to Riedwoldt. Cant they turn up to say bye next week or something just because its not a home game?

This is what I think of that. Bye Riedwoldt. Good riddance you sook :)

de6fd39b31b4875b84c6d2bc8e25514a

That's harsh, we'd have done the same.

Home game allows you to show clips, manage the pre/during game entertainment, hand out flyers, etc.

Thank god that is over. We got the result required. Glad they aren't playing finals as they are terrible. Their soft draw got them close. Glad Roo leaves the game without a flag as well.
:thumbsu: on all of that. Speaking of soft draw though, we ought to have a blanket ride next season :cool::p:D

Thank god that is over. We got the result required. Glad they aren't playing finals as they are terrible. Their soft draw got them close. Glad Roo leaves the game without a flag as well.

If we had such a soft draw & got close, what the hell happened to you mob?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...w/news-story/7f4880a53035a7430f99d3bb9711bac5

AFL 2017 fixture difficulty ladder: St Kilda cop tough run but North Melbourne given easiest draw
SAM EDMUND, Herald Sun
October 28, 2016 11:36am
Subscriber only
ST KILDA’S expected rise from mid-table battler to finalist has hit an early hurdle, with the Saints lumped with one of the toughest AFL draws.

Twelve months after being handed a dream fixture, St Kilda was on Thursday presented by the league with a 2017 minefield.

INTERACTIVE FIXTURE: PLAN YOUR 2017 SEASON NOW

PROS AND CONS: EXPERTS’ TAKE ON EVERY CLUB’S DRAW

The Saints, who will next season push for their first finals berth since 2011, were one of the biggest winners of the trade period after acquiring Koby Stevens and Jack Steele and defender Nathan Brown as a free agent, while Jake Carlisle will return from a 12-month ASADA ban.

But Champion Data has classified St Kilda’s draw as the third-toughest, based on each team’s scoring differential this year.

While Hawthorn, GWS and the Western Bulldogs were also hit with schedules riddled with obstacles, North Melbourne, Richmond, Carlton and Adelaide were handed good runs.

Agree he trails his man too much for my liking needs a lot more effort

I think he struggles with whatever "structures" they have down back. It seems he has periods where he knows what is going on and where he should be and times he doesn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back