Autopsy Autopsy v Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't like watching the 'pass the parcel' from the crows near their goals. We're so inept down there....the opposition can decide who kicks the goal.

Like ''Who hasn't kicked a goal yet?''

Long year....
They started doing it in the first 15 mins of the game.

You know the opposition thinks your shithouse and easy beats when they are ******* around and giving it off from 10 metres dead in front.

It was night and day how much better the midfield looked with one of Curtis or Sheezel in the middle. The reason being that those guys actually know how to read the whole play and not just the ball.

We have some good mids in there but they are one track minds (LDU, Wardlaw, Simpkin, Powell etc). These players are useful but when you have 3 in there you're playing Russian roulette because there is no structure if the opposition win the ball.

It's a small thing but Curtis and Sheezel read who is going to win it and are a step ahead on positioning in anticipation. It makes a huge difference.

We swap them out for Simpkin and suddenly all of our guys are out of position.
Paul Curtis is actually on the move. The others stand flat footed so when the ball does come to them they either get wrapped up in the tackle or if it doesn’t the opposition mids are already on the move to get an easy clearance.

I actually liked Curtis in there and he should attend more Centre Bounces, especially when he’s struggling up forward.

When you get a sporting scholarship worth thousands you have to give the school your first preference and so it is reasonable to expect those kids to miss local sport. I bet the parents prefer to save thousands than play for the Doncaster Sharks under 17s.

The VAST majority of private school kids do not have scholarships and the two private schools that my boys went to encouraged them to play with local clubs. Several of the teachers had personal connections with the local clubs that they played for as several of the teachers had their kids running for Box Hill, hockey for Box Hill and Camberwell hockey clubs and footy at Greythorn and Doncaster, all clubs my kids played for.

I don't know which private school or schools you are referring to but in my experience you are dead wrong.
10 kids in our 1’s not allowed to play by their private schools Ivanhoe and Carey in real time today.

being a north supporter is definitely a tough go atm with no light at the end of a tunnel that gets longer by the minute. i went from watching the north game yesterday to the carlton geelong game yesterday and it’s like watching two different sports. i think some of our players heads would explode if they had to try execute some of the game plans and skills required to be a starter in those teams.

being a north supporter is definitely a tough go atm with no light at the end of a tunnel that gets longer by the minute. i went from watching the north game yesterday to the carlton geelong game yesterday and it’s like watching two different sports. i think some of our players heads would explode if they had to try execute some of the game plans and skills required to be a starter in those teams.
Comparing men to boys atm

When you get a sporting scholarship worth thousands you have to give the school your first preference and so it is reasonable to expect those kids to miss local sport. I bet the parents prefer to save thousands than play for the Doncaster Sharks under 17s.

The VAST majority of private school kids do not have scholarships and the two private schools that my boys went to encouraged them to play with local clubs. Several of the teachers had personal connections with the local clubs that they played for as several of the teachers had their kids running for Box Hill, hockey for Box Hill and Camberwell hockey clubs and footy at Greythorn and Doncaster, all clubs my kids played for.

I don't know which private school or schools you are referring to but in my experience you are dead wrong.
My son’s footy and basketball teams (Ashburton and Camberwell) fell apart once private school footy took over and the majority of players were no longer available. So our experience of community clubs losing out was the same as Danj described.

When our older son was considering a scholarship to Caulfield a friend who taught there said we needed to consider that when you go to the school (not just because of the scholarship, everyone) you are expected to commit everything to the school. (One of the reasons he knocked it back, stayed public, and continued with sport and music for its own sake.)

Last edited:
Because I'm a f***ing idiot who's too optimistic for their own good, I travelled down to Hobart for yesterday's game.

Positives:

Duursma - he has an elite pair of hands. Reminds me of prime Justin Leppitsch with his ability to float into a contest and take a grab. Will be a serious player.

Hardeman - looks like he belongs.

Comben - sprinted all the way from the goal square to the interchange gate after a goal, only to be told no-one was ready to replace him. Could be heard loudly bellowing "F*********ck!" as he ran back to position, completely gassed. Executed a perfect smother about a minute later. He cares.

Driving/parking - less than 15 minutes from my CBD hotel to a parking spot about 400m from the ground. Light traffic in both directions.

Weather - perfect conditions for footy. Drove to the summit of Mt Wellington in the morning, visibility was as good as I've ever seen it.

Tom in the membership department - sorted me with some tickets in the Premiership Club as this is no longer a simple task to perform online due to Ticketmaster's legendary levels of sh*tness.

Negatives:

Game plan - for a team that turns over the footy so much, we have literally no idea what to do once we inevitably cough it up.

Handball - we are elite when it comes to handballing to disadvantage.

Tackling - I've seen more aggressive and effective tackling in social touch football games.

Blundstone Arena catering - absolute sh*tshow. Arguably a positive, as I missed most of the second quarter while standing in a food queue. Too few outlets, too few staff and ran out of most stuff before half-time. And they wanted to charge me $2 for sauce. Yes, $2. The matchday experience at BA is vastly inferior to any other stadium I've been to.

Paul Curtis is actually on the move. The others stand flat footed so when the ball does come to them they either get wrapped up in the tackle or if it doesn’t the opposition mids are already on the move to get an easy clearance.

I actually liked Curtis in there and he should attend more Centre Bounces, especially when he’s struggling up forward.
I have been banging on all season about getting Curtis and Zurhaar into the middle. No idea why it takes so long. Cam should have been in there at times too.

They both need to be part of the rotation. And on that, we need to rotate constantly in there, unless we have a rare purple patch. Also need to change positioning regularly. We are so predictable.

That's the funny thing about Zurhaar & LDU leaving they may find themselves in the VFL eventually on current output at other clubs.

Our players simply don't crack in like other teams.

That's the funny thing about Zurhaar & LDU leaving they may find themselves in the VFL eventually on current output at other clubs.

Our players simply don't crack in like other teams.
exactly, based on performance and output. how many of our players would get a game in sides like melbourne, gws, geelong, collingwood or carlton? i’d say maybe 2 or 3 at best.

exactly, based on performance and output. how many of our players would get a game in sides like melbourne, gws, geelong, collingwood or carlton? i’d say maybe 2 or 3 at best.
Probably only Larkey & Sheezel
That's the state of our list.

We never should have gutted the list so deep and we are paying for it now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably only Larkey & Sheezel
That's the state of our list.

We never should have gutted the list so deep and we are paying for it now.
and probably Lazaro might do well at the giants. seems like he would fit in well in that side.

Now now BRR, why is it, that looks like camp crystal lake, next you'll be showing a picture of "JASON"!
jason voorhees GIF

Could use him in the backline.

We're physically weaker = outbodied at stoppage.

We're aerobically weaker = outrun / outnumbered in general play and on turnover.

We have weaker skills = more turnovers.

But worst of all we're weaker aerially, so completely outmarked across the ground. This was particularly stark yesterday, probably more so than any game this year given the no names who absolutely towelled us up.

This unfortunately is the longest fix as our tall mix is frighteningly poor. Not only do we not have enough talls, the few we have are either extremely green (Biggie, Chom, Kal, Pink, Sellers, Dawson, Goad, Free) or more established but proven as poor contested marks (Xerri, Larkey, CCJ, Corr). I'd argue Logue is the lone exception, and only Chom, Kal and Will have shown early signs of improving us here.

Even amongst the optimism pre season (mine is all gone now) we all feared our talls were gonna be monstered this year. Yesterday highlighted how bad it is and unfortunately, this is gonna be the longest fix.

There's so much to work on it's overwhelming but I suspect above all else, our drafting and recruiting is going to be the polar opposite of recent seasons, with a huge focus on fixing this wasteland.

Took me a day or so to get too the end of the thread and see if anyone else had noticed this....

In the last few presser's I've heard Clarko refer to other clubs recruiting topliner's into their side who've made a big difference. May & Lever previously I think, then Daeson and Rankine yesterday. He then intimated we'd be doing something similar....

Surely the club can't be naive enough to think we'd be able to do the same? We have to be honest with ourselves, we will struggle to attract A Grade talent even (if ever again) when we're successful. We don't get to play in front of big crowds or provide enough exposure for players.

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The light at the end of the tunnel...is the front of an oncoming train...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back