Review Autopsy vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know what I have missed here, but I think Bevridge questioning the players hunger is off the mark... 42 clearances to 21 the Dogs way, 3 more inside 50's.. this is pretty hungry to me. The big let down was the forward and back line. I've had enough of AFL for this year to the point where I don't even enjoy watching it anymore. 16.8 to 5.15 was the deciding factor of this game... which is the same story week in week out with at least half the games played every week.

I do not understand what has happened to goal kicking in this league. Port Adelaide, Essendon, North Melbourne all kicked themselves out of games last week, St Kilda nearly lost because of it and Carlton almost won thanks to straight kicking for goal. Nearly every game now seems to be decided on who kicks the straightest - this is basic logic... kick goals you win. But it's gone to the extreme this year, with teams either kicking 12.5 and winning games even though they hardly touch the ball or going 5.15 where they dominate play but just can't kick goal to save themselves. I just find it beyond comprehension that the most basic factor of winning a game is abused like this. My team has done the same crap all year, and we sit down the bottom of the ladder even though most games we have played well in. The Dogs are in the same position.. great midfield and most weeks your backline is good, but forwards letting you down. It just makes me sick to the stomach when people getting paid over 500k per year miss multiple set shots at goal from 30 metres out

my god someone that watched

all where amazing\

We are are fulls gold....

Picken was usless
Morris is coooked
boyd has a heart of a lion but no skills

all whilst we have webb williams and Collins sitting in the 2s

**** you l;uke stop the crap SUCKLING HAS no go his 6.1 no right foot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

never to play again
Actually thought Suckling was ok last night. He is what he is, but he was pretty handy because he used the ball well in a team full of scrubbers. When you have a team that continually gives Lacy Hunter a game that couldn't hit a barn door from 20 metres and he is considered skilful. Then you have a major issue. Players we need to chase in the draft need to be skilled users of the ball or good set shots at goal.
Hawthorn model of recruitment prior to the huge 10 years they had please JMac.

Who cares what any other supporter says about the Dogs in 2016 compared to 2017? Your team won a flag!!! How hard is that to do!!?? How long did it take to do it?? I'd take a not so good 2017 after winning a premiership in 2016 vs two seasons of being a competitive "also ran".

I get that a Dynasty would be really nice but those of us who know what long suffering tastes like, at least one flag would be fantastic because no team is going to win them all.

All the best for the rest of the year Scray's.

I don't know what I have missed here, but I think Bevridge questioning the players hunger is off the mark... 42 clearances to 21 the Dogs way, 3 more inside 50's.. this is pretty hungry to me. The big let down was the forward and back line. I've had enough of AFL for this year to the point where I don't even enjoy watching it anymore. 16.8 to 5.15 was the deciding factor of this game... which is the same story week in week out with at least half the games played every week.

I do not understand what has happened to goal kicking in this league. Port Adelaide, Essendon, North Melbourne all kicked themselves out of games last week, St Kilda nearly lost because of it and Carlton almost won thanks to straight kicking for goal. Nearly every game now seems to be decided on who kicks the straightest - this is basic logic... kick goals you win. But it's gone to the extreme this year, with teams either kicking 12.5 and winning games even though they hardly touch the ball or going 5.15 where they dominate play but just can't kick goal to save themselves. I just find it beyond comprehension that the most basic factor of winning a game is abused like this. My team has done the same crap all year, and we sit down the bottom of the ladder even though most games we have played well in. The Dogs are in the same position.. great midfield and most weeks your backline is good, but forwards letting you down. It just makes me sick to the stomach when people getting paid over 500k per year miss multiple set shots at goal from 30 metres out

You'll find it's the off the ball stuff, the pressure to cause intercept possessions, the ferocity at the contest we had last season, the leaving your man to impact as the third man in, work rate to cover for each over and run back defensively beating the opposition back to their forward line.

It's been missing all season

The most damming thing is that we won the inside 50s 57-54 and only lost the scoring shots 24-20 so it's not like we were getting absolutely blown out of the park across the ground, except on the scoreboard. How on earth do we fix it? Every single week.

Send the forward line to goal kicking school. This is a problem throughout the AFL.. Nearly half the games every week would be the opposite result if teams could kick straight. Look at your clearances last night.. 42 - 21. It's insane that you lost by nearly 60 points with numbers like that. With those clearance numbers you should have either won or lost by a small margin. not a 10 goal blow out.

You'll find it's the off the ball stuff, the pressure to cause intercept possessions, the ferocity at the contest we had last season, the leaving your man to impact as the third man in, work rate to cover for each over and run back defensively beating the opposition back to their forward line.

It's been missing all season

Yeah, I was just looking through the individual player stats, and it looks like all players had a pretty soft game, no stand outs that I can see. Which I now see is why the hunger was questioned. Point remains thought that they had a hell of a lot of ball and a lot of shots at goal early on, shot themselves in the foot with bad misses. Seems to be when this 'behinds' thing starts teams just lose all momentum and give up.

Hunter - He is not creative, disposal is embarrassing and his lack of being able to use his right hand or peg is concerning for an AFL player (not just him) - his trade value? I wouldn't want him if i was another team. How is he going to improve if he can't dispose of the ball, evade tackles etc.

Suckling - the most useless recruit I have seen. Even more one dimensional than Hunter. I would be surprised if he has any value.

C Smith - cooked unfortunately - no trade value

Campbell - Depth at best. No trade value

Honeychurch - gone

Hamilton - gone

Dickson - cooked. little trade value

Prudden - cooked

Lynch - have no idea what's going on with him. in any event, no trade value.

The players that i have not names are either retiring or should remain on our list because of their talent, potential or are currently vital cogs to the team and consequently, I would not be willing to trade them. However, they will be the only players with any value for the purposes of trading.

I'd be surprised if we see the following players in Bulldogs colours next year:
  • Murphy
  • Moyd
  • Cloke
  • Crameri
  • Honeychruch
  • Hamilton
  • Prudden
  • Morris
I'm not sure why we can't hit the draft this year and next year and top up with FA's that fit age profile. Clearly trading will be an issue. Bont, Stringer etc. are still young. Will only be 4 to 5 years older than this year and next year's draftees. I think that will be good for the age profile of the list and for sustained success. Beveridge will be able to build the team that he wants and not the crap that he inherited from previous drafts.

As you can see, there is a lot of work to do.
I agree 100% on Hunter. I would look at trading Stringer and not bothering too much about JJ. If he wants to stay okay but if he wants to go look for best deal.
Stringer has value and although is likely to hurt us in future games the facts are clear. His 2016 was atrocious, lucky to be in GF side and his 2017 which has been up and down is still below par. I doubt we are going to get the best out of him going forward without a new coach. But he is a tantalising prospect for a finisher at another club.
We cant hang onto guys that are only prepared to really have a go when they want to. Jake was ok last night but he needs to string 5 in a row together.
I would start him in the midfield and see how he goes. Make him understand accountability. Losing doesn't matter really as we are only making up numbers this year.

Yeah, I was just looking through the individual player stats, and it looks like all players had a pretty soft game, no stand outs that I can see. Which I now see is why the hunger was questioned. Point remains thought that they had a hell of a lot of ball and a lot of shots at goal early on, shot themselves in the foot with bad misses. Seems to be when this 'behinds' thing starts teams just lose all momentum and give up.

Bevo takes blame as well he is playing a short and slow forward line. Redpath is the only genuine tall and he has no mobility, clay smith is slow and immobile, stringer doesn't work hard enough and then we play Honeychurch there who's isn't quick and is more a midfielder who is too small for afl, we don't have a forward line capable of scoring and our midfield bomb the ball in and generally kick to the defenders advantage.

There are a lot of issues atm with the team

Bevo takes blame as well he is playing a short and slow forward line. Redpath is the only genuine tall and he has no mobility, clay smith is slow and immobile, stringer doesn't work hard enough and then we play Honeychurch there who's isn't quick and is more a midfielder who is too small for afl, we don't have a forward line capable of scoring and our midfield bomb the ball in and generally kick to the defenders advantage.

There are a lot of issues atm with the team

But look at who we have on our list but are not playing- Boyd, Dickson,mCloke, Crameri, Adams all are tall forwards who we don't have ATM. Bevo has his sixth choice forward line available.[/QUOTE]

I hear you on goal kicking accuracy, it's a bug bear of mine as well and I think there was even a thread here on it at one point.

That said, it can mask the real issue. I don't have the sophisticated stats but it would be interesting to line up between the sides how many scores came from set shots versus kicks under pressure as well as the degree of difficulty (e.g. distance and angle from goal). I think that would give a better picture of both (i) the quality of the forward set up and/or the delivery to it as well as (ii) how the defenders were badly beaten one on one a few times (and others from lack of midfield pressure).

Someone with more insight than me will have that info.

Seems like we changed the game plan thus based on possibly having a tall forward line of cloke and boyd, but these guys have either been out of firm or not available. Last night we reverted to the 2016 style, at least for a half, but we just aren't able to sustain it this year (not by a long shot). That game relied on small fwd pressure:

Honeychurch doesn't cut it at the top level and its plain to see.
Dahl is struggling.
Clay Smith has lost his zip. You wonder if his knee is shot.
Wallis has disappeared
Libba inconsistent
Dickson not there
Cordy forced to backline.
Rough missed huge chunk of Season
Wood's lost his ability to Mark

Not all is lost.

Play the kids. Call it a rebuild, whatever. As long as the Bont keeps on keeping on we're a chance in most games. He was awesome, at least for a half.
Maclean is stepping up big.
Dale will be great next year.
Williams and Webb - play them!
Roughy will get his mojo back.
Collins improving in VFL.
Adams will be back next year.
Lippy could be a player.
Jong back too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get what you are saying.

But the problem for us isn't just goal kicking. Teams are scoring goals against us due to turn overs by us, leading to fast breaks then they are getting shots on goal 25 out in front.

We get plenty of inside 50s, but it's usually bombed in and we have no one who can mark, nor able to dispose of the ball well to hit a target.

So the shots on goal are rushed or from bad positions (but of course there are easy misses from Red and Bont).
Last year it was ok because our handball game moved the ball so fast. Now that is gone and we move it via foot we are exposed.

It seems to me that we won the flag last year due to our points of difference, ie manic pressure around the ball and handball club. Guess what - everyone else does them now, and better. So we have to find a new point of difference.

IMHO it must be skill-based. Manic pressure and handballing haven't improved any other team's scoring accuracy, as we see every week. The best players are the ones that find targets consistently.

Instead of useless long kicking into the forward 50, where the ball is quickly intercepted by larger, better marking opponents, why can't we develop a short-kicking game that is very accurate? If we could work the ball forward with 10 short kicks that find their mark, isn't that better than one long bomb that comes straight back because it's so predictable?

Obviously a lot of work would have to go into this and it will take a while for the players to trust each other to stick to the system but it would reduce the need for our few big marking targets to have to bear the brunt of facing the high bombs, surrounded by several opponents.

Downside might be a slower, more boring game style, but hey.

Who cares what any other supporter says about the Dogs in 2016 compared to 2017? Your team won a flag!!! How hard is that to do!!?? How long did it take to do it?? I'd take a not so good 2017 after winning a premiership in 2016 vs two seasons of being a competitive "also ran".

I get that a Dynasty would be really nice but those of us who know what long suffering tastes like, at least one flag would be fantastic because no team is going to win them all.

A sensible, level headed Tigers supporter, I'm impressed. Ha ha.

Seriously, our expectations are now through the roof and that's what happens when you win a flag. It's the old potato chip slogan 'you can't stop at just one'.

Good luck to the Tiges, we all pretend to dislike them, but there is a buzz when they're up and about.

Probably development of a new style of play is required, with some sort of "keepings-off" tactic to avoid bombing kicking long to a contest. Don't have to always be running and hand passing. Using foot you can slow the game, and keep possession.
Get what you are saying.

But the problem for us isn't just goal kicking. Teams are scoring goals against us due to turn overs by us, leading to fast breaks then they are getting shots on goal 25 out in front.

We get plenty of inside 50s, but it's usually bombed in and we have no one who can mark, nor able to dispose of the ball well to hit a target.

So the shots on goal are rushed or from bad positions (but of course there are easy misses from Red and Bont).
Last year it was ok because our handball game moved the ball so fast. Now that is gone and we move it via foot we are exposed.

You're a good egg.

Cheers

It seems to me that we won the flag last year due to our points of difference, ie manic pressure around the ball and handball club. Guess what - everyone else does them now, and better. So we have to find a new point of difference.

IMHO it must be skill-based. Manic pressure and handballing haven't improved any other team's scoring accuracy, as we see every week. The best players are the ones that find targets consistently.

Instead of useless long kicking into the forward 50, where the ball is quickly intercepted by larger, better marking opponents, why can't we develop a short-kicking game that is very accurate? If we could work the ball forward with 10 short kicks that find their mark, isn't that better than one long bomb that comes straight back because it's so predictable?

Obviously a lot of work would have to go into this and it will take a while for the players to trust each other to stick to the system but it would reduce the need for our few big marking targets to have to bear the brunt of facing the high bombs, surrounded by several opponents.

I think you are pretty much describing the Hawthorn model that won them 3 flags. Hawthorn perfected the lead-up short kicking game but after spending many months of practice to do so. With the likes of Mitchell, Burgoyne, Smith and others, they had a core of elite kicks and some awesome forward talent to exploit their accuracy, something which we do not have. .

We don't have the foot skills for this style of game play.

Despite saying they wouldn't all week, adelaide flogs are all over the "fluked a premiership" crap and "that's what happens when your players are banging each other's partners". Pathetic
Yep, it's pathetic, but no more pathetic than our own people who post similar things about other clubs.
We're s**t at the moment and other clubs' supporters are going to revel getting stuck into us.
Better get used to it. It's how footy works.

There's only one fix - become a competitive side again. Just being competent would help right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back