Review Autopsy vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Cool story.

All that pressure and expectation, I guess we've just choked, you know, just like...

I'm not sure you should be accusing Geelong of choking when their record over the past ten years speaks for itself.

Especially as a Bulldogs supporter.

I laughed when our mids inevitably kicked a ball high into the forward line to a waiting Caleb Daniel and Mitch Honeychurch early in the last quarter. The ball of course was smashed out of the area pronto. Then I cried.

You know that when you are watching a game and you lament the non-selection of Travis Cloke directly after an extended lay off that things are dire indeed.

'inevitiably" is right. Why when it didn't work the first hundred times did we keep doing it. It was obvious we had no one who could take a mark up there but we kept bombing it in. When does persistence become stupidity.

On another matter. I love Macrae as a player and would have him in the team every week as one of the first picked and would never trade him ... but, ........ those high floaty kicks of his do my head in. I know he is not alone in this in our team.

'inevitiably" is right. Why when it didn't work the first hundred times did we keep doing it. It was obvious we had no one who could take a mark up there but we kept bombing it in. When does persistence become stupidity.

On another matter. I love Macrae as a player and would have him in the team every week as one of the first picked and would never trade him ... but, ........ those high floaty kicks of his do my head in. I know he is not alone in this in our team.
It's a bit of horse and cart, isn't it?

I'd back Macrae (for example) to hit a decent leading target on the tit if:

1. There is decent leading target nad
2. Macrae has even half a metre of space to get balanced

Left with no other options, our mids (who are rushed themselves) are lucky to get a high floaty ball into the F50. Unfortunately for us we don't have any 'big blokes' in there, and there are guys like Lever, J McGovern and Rampe running around each week and defences love high balls in these days (trained to get third man up)

Tha
Ive read this whole thread and this sums it up the best

I aas screaming at the TV last night, telling them to stop throwing their ******* arms out pleading for a free kick instead of "cracking in" and winning the ball. It is a cancer that has spread through this team and it shits me to tears. I'm asking some setious questions when i get to talk to some of them in Cairns. Not blowing smoke up their arses anymore
Thanks for candour. Bevo needs to get more help from Grant. I see a weakness at that and Board level. Give it to them straight. In Hollywood, sport or business you are only as good as your last production especially with a small fan base. Growth of Western suburbs does not assure our future. Could be lost to other codes or gardening.

Because outside of the Bont we have no mids that can kick the ball with any penetration at all?

Its also the reason that we have to put up with the Good, the Bad and the Ugly that is Mathew Suckling. Say you you will about him and we do, but his ability to break a line with his long kicking is vital to a side that is badly missing Murphy's sublime foot skills now that JJ's run and carry has effectively been blanketed out of the game. Combine this with teams shutting down our ability to get off a quick handball something that papered over the cracks of our shitty foot skills all last year and you start to get a sense why it is that we have fallen off the pace so much this year.

He says that , but plays Honeychurch ?
He should have arranged a a meeting with the BF board during the week and pretty well all of us would have said we are too small , and the very least leave Honey out ?
Maybe he needs to listen to his own message. Same as the week before when he says our skills let us down and refuses to pick Williams and Webb

Tha

Thanks for candour. Bevo needs to get more help from Grant. I see a weakness at that and Board level. Give it to them straight. In Hollywood, sport or business you are only as good as your last production especially with a small fan base. Growth of Western suburbs does not assure our future. Could be lost to other codes or gardening.
What I am most concerned about is that we have put so much effort into building our supporter base, adding sponsors, selling reserved seats at Etihad and many other positive initiatives that it could all be easily undermined if we continue to put up insipid performances like last Friday. Unless we can at least improve the intensity of our effort and competitiveness for the remaining games, we can expect a drop off that will hurt us financially next season.

What I am most concerned about is that we have put so much effort into building our supporter base, adding sponsors, selling reserved seats at Etihad and many other positive initiatives that it could all be easily undermined if we continue to put up insipid performances like last Friday. Unless we can at least improve the intensity of our effort and competitiveness for the remaining games, we can expect a drop off that will hurt us financially next season.

Relax. One ordinary season isn't going to do us harm

That flag will have a positive influence for years. Supporter base will grow with the youth now

I would rather us knock a teammate out with a spearing bullet pass than those high, Hail Mary, floating, nothing kicks.

I've been saying we are too short and light for weeks. Just look at how we compare to every club we play, we are always 2-3kgs down per player and 1-3cms.

The fact that you only named 4 players concerns me. The loss of Crameri, Adams, Cloke and Boyd aswell as the terrible form of Roughead returning from injury, has killed our structure in 2017. We need stringer to be a stronger body but I don't think he's tough enough for that.
Look at how many times our players got rag-dolled on Friday. Over and over again. I think Cordy got brushed aside by Jenkins 2-3 times ... even our talls are undersized and outbodied.

Look at how many times our players got rag-dolled on Friday. Over and over again. I think Cordy got brushed aside by Jenkins 2-3 times ... even our talls are undersized and outbodied.

It's always been a problem. Do we need more protein shakes? Is there a weights room at Whitten Oval?

What good is that for the crows ? They have got no where near a flag

Our players are built to outrun games which is why we could last late in those close finals games last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because outside of the Bont we have no mids that can kick the ball with any penetration at all?

Its also the reason that we have to put up with the Good, the Bad and the Ugly that is Mathew Suckling. Say you you will about him and we do, but his ability to break a line with his long kicking is vital to a side that is badly missing Murphy's sublime foot skills now that JJ's run and carry has effectively been blanketed out of the game. Combine this with teams shutting down our ability to get off a quick handball something that papered over the cracks of our shitty foot skills all last year and you start to get a sense why it is that we have fallen off the pace so much this year.
I often cringe at aspects of Suckling's play and I can understand why there are calls for him to be dropped (permanently) but it just isn't going to happen. Bevo loves him and as you say he brings something almost no other play can bring, even if his long kicks are sometimes misdirected, as on Friday. Barring injury he plays for the rest of the year.

I also think that if
  • we can't get any players leading up i50,
  • can't deliver long low passes (other than from Murphy (inj), Bont and sometimes Suckling)
  • can't get anyone to take a contested mark to the high bomb
  • can only occasionally get anyone to bring the high i50 floaters to ground
then perhaps there's an alternative to those floaty up-and-unders - and that's the Chaos Ball.

As ugly as it may look our best option for the rest of 2017 may be to kick bouncers & grubbers inside 50 (assuming there's nobody available in clear space). Then at least we have a 50/50 chance of winning possession and it generally won't get rebounded as quickly resulting in turnover goals at the other end. Who knows we might even do well out of it if we can work out how to kick grubbers to advantage.

I often cringe at aspects of Suckling's play and I can understand why there are calls for him to be dropped (permanently) but it just isn't going to happen. Bevo loves him and as you say he brings something almost no other play can bring, even if his long kicks are sometimes misdirected, as on Friday. Barring injury he plays for the rest of the year.

I also think that if
  • we can't get any players leading up i50,
  • can't deliver long low passes (other than from Murphy (inj), Bont and sometimes Suckling)
  • can't get anyone to take a contested mark to the high bomb
  • can only occasionally get anyone to bring the high i50 floaters to ground
then perhaps there's an alternative to those floaty up-and-unders - and that's the Chaos Ball.

As ugly as it may look our best option for the rest of 2017 may be to kick bouncers & grubbers inside 50 (assuming there's nobody available in clear space). Then at least we have a 50/50 chance of winning possession and it generally won't get rebounded as quickly resulting in turnover goals at the other end. Who knows we might even do well out of it if we can work out how to kick grubbers to advantage.

I've thought the same, I'd rather kick it to ground inside the forward fifty than on to the head of the intercept defender. The guys we have forward are pretty good with one-on-one ground ball - Wallis, Stringer, Dahlhaus, Clay Smith etc.

What good is that for the crows ? They have got no where near a flag

Our players are built to outrun games which is why we could last late in those close finals games last year
But it's not going to do us any good if we are too light and small to win enough H&A games to make the finals. Bigger players can run too - look at Crameri for example.

In many ways our side that won the 2016 flag was an exception to the general profile of a premiership side.

Even if it's not the Crows I reckon whoever wins it this year will have a marked advantage over our current 22 in height and weight (as well as age and experience).

But it's not going to do us any good if we are too light and small to win enough H&A games to make the finals. Bigger players can run too - look at Crameri for example.

In many ways our side that won the 2016 flag was an exception to the general profile of a premiership side.

Even if it's not the Crows I reckon whoever wins it this year will have a marked advantage over our current 22 in height and weight (as well as age and experience).

i know last year went against the trend in every way , but we cant afford to change the way we are because theres a good chance it will back fire.

Stick to what we have and improve the holes in the team. That’s what will win us the next flag , not by bulking up the team.

i know last year went against the trend in every way , but we cant afford to change the way we are because theres a good chance it will back fire.

Stick to what we have and improve the holes in the team. That’s what will win us the next flag , not by bulking up the team.
Haha. Tell Bev that!

I think we'll just have to differ on bulking up the team. Mind you some of that will come naturally with our teenagers filling out and getting extra pre-seasons. But we could always use good players built like Ollie Wines when we go to the draft. They don't all have to be lightly-framed like McLean and Murphy.

Bevo rolls the dice weekly. Say what you will about our selections or strategy but you can't accuse the man of sitting on his hands.

Do folks not understand modern footy strategy ? If a team runs a full ground zone set up, using a tagged opens a hole in the web. Say what you like re taggets ( yeah I know it's frustrating) but it's risk vs reward. Bevo is banking on our system over concentrating on ONE player and unbalancing the zone. Everyone oohed and aahed not tagging Priddis. Despite him getting 40 possies he operated just under 50% DE. Effectively a 20 possies game. But folks still harped on about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back