Autopsy Autopsy vs Brisbane - Rd14, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I think one thing I've taken from this is we desperately need a big pack marking forward. X is close, he's getting hands on them but just not clunking.

Tristan did a lot of good physical work in that 3rd quarter.

He will end up a better contested mark than TC, and he's already better at ground level. He's a better palmer of the ball also. TC has fairly hard hands and the ball tends to "pop" off them, rather than drop in to the rovers lap..

Of course there's still a long road ahead, but the direction is becoming clearer. Our defensive efforts and structure are miles ahead of where they were earlier in the season. That's what good sides are built on.
Had Brisbane under genuine pressure for most of the game until our fitness gave out again. We desperately need a complete overhaul of how we conduct our pre-season, because being able to run out a full game will make a huge difference.
There's bits and pieces at the moment, the signs that we can bring them together are growing. Horne and Kelly would be very useful additions to keep growing the group.
Biggest positive for mine was LDU's first half, we saw the player he'll be. Needs another couple of pre-seasons, to maintain that standard for a full game.
So much of our good play comes from guys with less than 50 games. When they have played more than 50 games their ability to run out the came and play like that for the whole game will have developed more.

I appreciated Derm chipping in a few times about players we couldn't see helping to create those one on ones. Barely gets a mention most games.
He’s better than most at explaining the game too and it’s difficulties. Goes off on stupid tangents, but then again, so do I ......

In other possible good news, I think we nudged up our percentage very marginally - I think. We scored 66% of Brisbane’s total. Given we went into the game running at just over 61%, I think we edged it up overall. I could be wrong, though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not a positive per se, but how much better was Huddo & Co vs Derwayne & Healy. I shudder to think who we're going to get for Gold Coast.

Yes, the only negative in the commentary team was David King. It sounded like he'd bet the farm on a Brisbane win from the start of the game. He was full of praise for all the reasons why the Lions would win, and had no insights to offer as to what North might do to get the result. Only when North hit the front did he start noticing which North players were getting on top. Late in the game, he was given a chance to talk up the positives of North's performance, but he quite literally chose to only speak about Brisbane. It's as though he can't see beyond the scoreboard or the ladder.

I enjoyed the game

when you compare how far we have come since the start of the season its just so encouraging.
The weather came at the wrong time for North and just suited the bigger Brisbane bodies and the slog told on us.

great signs from LDC, Taylor , Larkey etc

and as for that bollocks about Brisbane not giving !00 %..what a load of rubbish. We didn't let them play for 2 quarters. They wanted that win

very few negatives for me. Lots of effort, They had a crack and played some good footy against a good footy side. Exactly what you want from a developing team

Good coaching too

No one is throwing a party. I'm way too smart to fall for that strawman crap.

What did you think was a realistic outcome yesterday?

Winning.

That was the best, most experienced team we had put on the park all season. Missing only Anderson, Corr, Polec from the best 22.

Playing at a ground we have a good W/L record against a side who’s never played there.

Once again, we we’re in the game for the majority of it, but once again fell away kicking two goals from the halfway point of the second quarter.

Winning.

That was the best, most experienced team we had put on the park all season. Missing only Anderson, Corr, Polec from the best 22.

Playing at a ground we have a good W/L record against a side who’s never played there.

Once again, we we’re in the game for the majority of it, but once again fell away kicking two goals from the halfway point of the second quarter.

Okay but to me that sounds like the profile of a borderline finals side which we're not.

Okay but to me that sounds like the profile of a borderline finals side which we're not.

Well, we were five goals up against a borderline finals side just last week before the side fell away. With close to our best side (which we really haven’t had all year) were a decent, not outstanding team.

Goldy even pointed out that this team does not possess the ability to close games out.

Winning.

and Garner

have to mention that Tarrant and MacDonald are back after long layoffs too

18th playing a flag contender. Big ask that the expectation was for a win
I think what we did yesterday was pretty good. Yeah a win would be good, but I think Noble privately would have been very happy with that game. It showed a lot

and Garner

have to mention that Tarrant and MacDonald are back after long layoffs too

18th playing a flag contender. Big ask that the expectation was for a win
I think what we did yesterday was pretty good. Yeah a win would be good, but I think Noble privately would have been very happy with that game. It showed a lot

Yep. Missed Garner.

Taz is a 12 year et with absolutely supreme fitness, Luke was training for most of his lay-off.

The first half was a very good effort. The second just wasn’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Missed Garner.

Taz is a 12 year et with absolutely supreme fitness, Luke was training for most of his lay-off.

yeah they did run out of gas. Symptomatic of playing a young side. Luckily that is fixable !

as for Taz and MacDonald. No doubt they are fit, but hard to maintain touch and match fitness .They'll get better and better

lots to like and lots to work on !

yeah they did run out of gas. Symptomatic of playing a young side. Luckily that is fixable !

as for Taz and MacDonald. No doubt they are fit, but hard to maintain touch and match fitness .They'll get better and better

lots to like and lots to work on !

Is it a young side?

Taz, Ziebell, Cunners, Hall, Goldy, Atley, Walker, Turner, LMac, Dumont all with a wealth of experience.

Larkey, Zurhaar, Simpkin on the next level down.

Yep. Missed Garner.

In the first half our success was driven as much by guys like LDU, TT and Taylor, who all fell away as the game went on, as it was by CZ, Larks, Cunners or Jy (who now has proper match hardened fitness over several seasons.) As they develop proper match hardened fitness it will be less of an issue and the specific problem we had - going from dominating clearances to being dominated - will be less of an issue.

I'm not saying either had a bad game, but man McKay just isn't himself with tarrant out there.

Also. Curtis. Sell him to me. Go.
Reminded me several years ago when cunners was up and coming yet never looked as comfortable when Swallow was playing....

Is it a young side?

Taz, Ziebell, Cunners, Hall, Goldy, Atley, Walker, Turner, LMac, Dumont all with a wealth of experience.

It’s the gap in the middle, our experienced guy’s are older and push the average age up. Anyway the averages are kind of BS I reckon.

Is it a young side?

There’s plenty of experience out there. Apart from Cunners and Goldy , none of them possess the ability to get us over the line against a legitimate premiership contender. Tarrant and McDonald would be rusty and the remainder are B graders or role players.

I reckon he tries too hard to appear unbiased.

Kingy regularly talks up the kids we have coming through and rebuild path we have taken. He also applauded us on the list cull and said it was something we had to do.

I think sometimes some look too much into the negative things he says because he is an ex North player. At the end of the day, we’re bottom of the ladder and for much of the season we haven’t played great football. I’m not sure how we can not expect some negativity to come our way.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don’t know why Atu isnt played forward.
I said that months ago. We have an abundance of defenders and no small forwards. It is a no brainer as far as I am concerned.

I said that months ago. We have an abundance of defenders and no small forwards. It is a no brainer as far as I am concerned.
I guess playing that role in the VFL would be useless as we have no key forwards. They might be getting him to concentrate on defending first. Or I may have no idea and they don’t see him as a forward at all. 🤷‍♀️

I guess playing that role in the VFL would be useless as we have no key forwards. They might be getting him to concentrate on defending first. Or I may have no idea and they don’t see him as a forward at all. 🤷‍♀️
I think we will both be wrong as they have been vocal in saying he has been switched to defence. Clearly we both have a different opinion but what do we know! :)

Yes, the only negative in the commentary team was David King. It sounded like he'd bet the farm on a Brisbane win from the start of the game. He was full of praise for all the reasons why the Lions would win, and had no insights to offer as to what North might do to get the result. Only when North hit the front did he start noticing which North players were getting on top. Late in the game, he was given a chance to talk up the positives of North's performance, but he quite literally chose to only speak about Brisbane. It's as though he can't see beyond the scoreboard or the ladder.

the fifteen minute Mitch Robinson wankfest was a bit much

Remove this Banner Ad

Back