Autopsy Autopsy vs Brisbane - Rd14, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I know the AFL keep ******* around with the rules but can someone tell me when it was decided that if any North player kicks, punches, spoils, taps, handballs, slips/trips over the boundry with the ball it automatically becomes a free kick to the opposition?
The two against Powell were just dog acts by umps. Especially the one where Powelll was outnumbered and won a couple of contests through sheer effort and then toe poked it forward. That sort of effort should be applauded, not penalised.

Can Goldy play for another 3-5 yrs? We may need to trade for a ruckman if Edwards doesn’t become the ruck/forward we’re hoping he is.

The umpires really need to crack down on the new standing on the mark rule. Players are getting away with moving before play on is called. Brisbane were doing it non-stop today.

Our players need to learn how to expose it better. We want to attack through the corridor but we play like the new rule doesn't exist. We are probably the worst in the league at using it to our advantage.

Solid enough showing up until the point where we clearly didn't have the fitness to go with them any longer (was evident going back into positions to start the final quarter, Brisbane looked lively as ever while we collectively struggled to muster up more than a light jog). Taylor a noticeable presence early, which was good to see from a young player who's not been able to work his way into matches much this season. Generally good games from Simpkin and LDU, and nice to see Larkey growing into his role a bit more - should hold him in good stead long-term. On the downside, Stephenson seemed to drift about aimlessly most of the game, didn't seem to have the will to make an impact. Wouldn't say it was a standout team performance, but for a not-so-close loss there's enough to be encouraged by, and on the form we've shown the last two weeks we should be able to account for the Suns next Saturday.

Solid enough showing up until the point where we clearly didn't have the fitness to go with them any longer (was evident going back into positions to start the final quarter, Brisbane looked lively as ever while we collectively struggled to muster up more than a light jog). Taylor a noticeable presence early, which was good to see from a young player who's not been able to work his way into matches much this season. Generally good games from Simpkin and LDU, and nice to see Larkey growing into his role a bit more - should hold him in good stead long-term. On the downside, Stephenson seemed to drift about aimlessly most of the game, didn't seem to have the will to make an impact. Wouldn't say it was a standout team performance, but for a not-so-close loss there's enough to be encouraged by, and on the form we've shown the last two weeks we should be able to account for the Suns next Saturday.
Stephenson does not get any credit for leading his opponent away from Larkey who is then able to compete one on one. Team oriented actions should count double.

Stephenson does not get any credit for leading his opponent away from Larkey who is then able to compete one on one. Team oriented actions should count double.

MasonWooditis. :thumbsu:

I reckon you're expecting too much from a few of them Bernie.

I appreciated Derm chipping in a few times about players we couldn't see helping to create those one on ones. Barely gets a mention most games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpires can gagf, again. I wouldn't say they won it for Brisbane but it gets frustrating to see a run of two or three infringements by one team let go, and then to have one picked out of the hat for the other. The 50 against cunners for pushing someone in the back while they were on the ground really pissed me off considering I saw far worse done at other moments. A shout out to the free for holding paid against Turner while running back to goals. Pure guesswork.
Yes it’s very frustrating. They umpire how they think the game should pan out. We aren’t expected to win so they don’t want to change the script.
Once we start winning some games hopefully should see our favour with the umpires change a bit.

A solid effort up against a top 4 team. Improvement is slowly improving week to week and the the young boy's have not stopped trying. The few leaders we have such as Cunners, Ziebell and Goldy have been awesome so far and need to finish strong to get the most out of this season, still a lot of development to get out of this season. Pushing top 4 teams to the limit shows we are not far away.

My initial thoughts:-

- pretty disappointing overall. It's all well and good to play a couple of good quarters of football, but the way we put the cue in the rack can't be considered acceptable by the coaching staff. Jesse's frustration at the team's energy level in the third quarter said it all.
- Comparing Q2 and Q3 a few players came to mind - LDU, Scott and Stephenson - these guys can't disappear like that if we're to start taking a few scalps. For long stretches after the break it felt like we had Goldy, Jy and Ben moving the ball and that was about it. Just not good enough.
- Tonight creates the possibility (for me at least) that our wet weather game sucks. That was when the rot set in and we never recovered until maybe the last five minutes of the game which was as strange as it was pointless.

That's it for the negative stuff. On the bright side, clearly we're not imagining the improvement which is probably why I'm feeling a little frustrated. Great having McDonald back, it looks like Turner is in our starting 18, I'm very happy for him. Xerri is extremely promising. Powell has the making of being a magician which I am trying not to get excited about just yet. Zurhaar and Larkey both down yet still had a presence which is really encouraging. Taylor showing signs of why Noble keeps giving him chances ala Mahony. Jy/Ben/Goldy/Ziebull good again. Brisbane clearly not a flag threat, always good to see (they badly needed those two soft frees to Cameron and Daniher when the game was in the balance).

Not a positive per se, but how much better was Huddo & Co vs Derwayne & Healy. I shudder to think who we're going to get for Gold Coast.

Some good signs, tried hard for three quarters, applied a pretty high pressure rating at some stages.
I'm not getting carried away as thought the Lions were a lacking in energy, going through the motions a bit and it was a little like the year 12's vs year 7's in body size and skill level which is understandable. I wonder if this will transfer to a bigger ground like Marvel. I guess time will tell on that.
Not the young guys who are the main problem imo. Senior guys often the ones turning it over in back 50.
Gonna be a fun end to the year I think, especially if we can give some debutants a run and get some senior guys back.
We might have a shocker next week because that was a pretty physical game for the young guys.

Feel like Ziebs is improving his defensive craft but is still putting team mates under pressure with his ball use.

The one early to Powell was a shocker.
I was hoping Noble would have dispensed with this by now but obviously he isn't going to. Ziebell needs to play on the forward line. He is a marking option, he can kick goals and isn't a score against liability. How many more signs do you need?

I know the AFL keep ******* around with the rules but can someone tell me when it was decided that if any North player kicks, punches, spoils, taps, handballs, slips/trips over the boundry with the ball it automatically becomes a free kick to the opposition?
That happened about 3 minutes after we rang AFL House and told them we weren’t going to the Gold Coast….

Love Kingy and do not doubt he is onboard as you say.

However, some of his commentary was inane and relentlessly negative.

I'm still not sure whether his being 'behind the club' was little more than him using his playing history with our club to influence a personal vendetta against the former coach.

He goes out of his way to kick us sometimes, to the point where Derm called him out on it. He was happy to ship us off to the Gold Coast. I get the feeling that his media career is his one and only priority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back