Autopsy Autopsy vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

More likely was that it wasnt bad enough in the second to worry about changing structure. Then we were locked in for the 3rd (apart from small in situ changes), where they dominated us.

If they had made that run in the 4th, we would of been ******.

With how tall we were, and therefore the lack of run, we always had this weakness. Carlton exploited it, we managed to counter it late, but I reckon we wouldn't win too many of those games if we continue to play matchups like that (which we will, as so many of the teams on the rise are playing small).

I'd had thought a small in situ call could have been, Ahh how's about we don't allow free runners.

What's more their momentum turned off like a tap when we did move.

It's not like we'd have been making moves all over the field.

They had a forward line of 2 on 6, meaning we had 4 players standing there pecker in hand.

The game was weird tactically.

A lot of people seem to be paying out MacMillan but I thought he was ok, or even a bit more than ok. Didn't get a heap of it but seemed to be involved in some of our good link-up and rebounding play when we got it going. We always look dangerous when he's involved in handball chains. Admittedly I've not watched the replay and am not in Melbourne so didn't see the game live, but my feeling is that he has been improving over the last two weeks and is now playing at an acceptable standard - I was calling for him to be dropped a fortnight ago. He can of course still step his game up a notch, and he should. But yeah fwiw (bugger all really) - I think he was ok, and that he's building into the season ok also.

I'd had thought a small in situ call could have been, Ahh how's about we don't allow free runners.

They had a forward line of 2 on 6, meaning we had 4 players standing there pecker in hand.

We moved Hansen to HF, that's about all.

I think its hard to move structures around mid quarter just because if you move more than 1 or 2, then to ensure the rest of the team have new zones and refit the structure for a lot of the team. I think just Hansen move to HF in the 3rd itself caused a fair bit of dysfunction initially. Eventually I think they moved him much deeper, which freed up garner and wood across HF again.

Like most of us, I don't have enough tape to know for sure.

A lot of people seem to be paying out MacMillan but I thought he was ok, or even a bit more than ok. Didn't get a heap of it but seemed to be involved in some of our good link-up and rebounding play when we got it going. We always look dangerous when he's involved in handball chains. Admittedly I've not watched the replay and am not in Melbourne so didn't see the game live, but my feeling is that he has been improving over the last two weeks and is now playing at an acceptable standard - I was calling for him to be dropped a fortnight ago. He can of course still step his game up a notch, and he should. But yeah fwiw (bugger all really) - I think he was ok, and that he's building into the season ok also.

Good observations there. He was also the player we freed up to launch off HB when we clearly outnumbered their forwards, and was hence playing a defensive support role as much as an attacking one.

Good observations there. He was also the player we freed up to launch off HB when we clearly outnumbered their forwards, and was hence playing a defensive support role as much as an attacking one.
He's the bloke you want down there directing traffic. He's got a pretty high footy IQ.

Keep him loose across wing/hb, he can create when need be and also drop back when Marley or Fish go for a gallop.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

We struugle against teams chipping the ball around

Sounds a bit weird but I think I was happier that we got in a hole , dug ourselves out of it and won rather than if we'd walloped them
It showed a fair bit of character as a lot of sides would've turned it in after having a 45 point lead overhauled

Liked our Captains efforts too...he didn't want to lose that game and worked his Ar5e off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back