Autopsy Autopsy vs Crom

Remove this Banner Ad

So many comments from people who weren’t at the game. Obviously watching on TV you couldn’t see what was really going on.

So from someone who was at the game and could see much more than what you could see on TV here is my summary.

As a team we are as s**t as Stephenson is a player. We have such a long long way to go.

I want to boof Wardlaw.

Thank * the cricket is on.
Yet you support LMac. Steve >>>>>LMac

So many comments from people who weren’t at the game. Obviously watching on TV you couldn’t see what was really going on.

So from someone who was at the game and could see much more than what you could see on TV here is my summary.

As a team we are as s**t as Stephenson is a player. We have such a long long way to go.

I want to boof Wardlaw.

Thank * the cricket is on.
I think what I was watching on TV and what you’re watching live were the same thing . MacDonald is an imposter, Mackay CGAGF , we have no backline our forward line is a one man show , the kids were the ones doing all the hard lifting while the veterans collect their pay cheques at the end of the day . MacDonald,Corr, Tucker, Ziebull , Mackay, Zuhar, Goldstein all stunk it up . We’ll be in the wilderness for a long time yet . That was a Nobelesk type performance. So I think what I saw on TV you were silly enough to witness it live ..

About what I expected, a 10 goal loss to a team a few years ahead of us in terms of system, strength, fitness and skills.
It sucks to lose but the education from this game on workrate, pressure, skill and killer instinct will help us going forward.
This Crows team put 7 goals in a row on the Pies at the MCG so they're a flag chance very soon in my mind. They are even better at home.
Good 1st half pressure wise but we can't maintain it. Some poor positioning, fumbles (Corr, LMac) and turnovers cost us and Crows made us pay.
The Crows seemed to be able to maintain a very high pressure and really ramped it up in the 3rd quarter which caused our guys to panic/fumble a bit.
Big difference in how physically bigger/powerful, skilled, athletic and fitter the Crows were than us right now which is understandable right now.
They have a very dynamic forward group. It was stark comparing Rankine/Pedlar/Rachele to our forwards with how fit and classy they were.
Some of our forwards have talent but their workrate, skills and decision making have to go to another level to get us up the ladder.
A bit the same with the back six comparing our slower defenders (McKay/Ziebs/Corr/LMac) vs Milera/Worrell/Butts/Michalenney types.
It can be fixed but it's going to take time like it did at the Crows. Fitness and smart drafting/trading for more dynamic and skilled players needed.
Positives were TT, Scott, Wardlaw, Sheez, McKay, Bergman and Logue. LDU, Simpkin and Zurhaar trying to do it themselves.
I see improvement but its not going to pay off immediately until we start to get a collective playing together over a couple of seasons like the Crows have.
Didn’t take the crows long at all, like collingwood
Our back six is worst in AFL and not young
The club is largely a waste land of mediocrity in every way
Feel sorry for Sheezel and Wardlaw

1000% the bit in bold. That’s the biggest issue for me.

Even the attitude of a lot of our supporters who have been Stockholm-syndromed into liking this mediocrity: “oh shh, the future is bright, go barrack for someone else, we’re going to be great”.

We’re not necessarily going to be great. It’s not inevitable. Hell, we’re barely even marginally better than we were.

To be great, someone’s gotta drive standards. At the moment nobody seems to be. We have a captain who is deplorable, leaders at the helm above him who think it’s acceptable to keep picking him… And I’m at the stage I’m questioning the wisdom of the leaders above them.

We need a bottom to top review. This ain’t working.
Disagree on questioning the leaders above, I assume you are referring to Clarko and Viney? For me its too early to be doing that, they've been there 1 year.
This year is a bit like Ross Lyon at Saints, assessing what they have truly on the list and what is needed.
Clarko, Viney and Matthews know what a premiership environment looks like and that doesn't just happen in one year.
The comments from the players have made it clear the environment this year has improved so that's a good first step.
Viney will not suffer people who half-arse things and are not competitors. Every draftee he will ask the recruiters if this kid is a competitor.
Clarko knows what a premiership team/club is and bringing in Shiels would've helped in this regard to.
Tom Lynch at Crows was part of a GF level team. the VFL team has started winning games, that's a change.
The introduction of leading teams I think will be another positive for building that leadership and the group challenging each other to be better.

Disagree on questioning the leaders above, I assume you are referring to Clarko and Viney? For me it’s too early to be doing that, they've been there 1 year.
This year is a bit like Ross Lyon at Saints, assessing what they have truly on the list and what is needed.
Clarko, Viney and Matthews know what a premiership environment looks like and that doesn't just happen in one year.
The comments from the players have made it clear the environment this year has improved so that's a good first step.
Viney will not suffer people who half-arse things and are not competitors. Every draftee he will ask the recruiters if this kid is a competitor.
Clarko knows what a premiership team/club is and bringing in Shiels would've helped in this regard to.
Tom Lynch at Crows was part of a GF level team. the VFL team has started winning games, that's a change.
The introduction of leading teams I think will be another positive for building that leadership and the group challenging each other to be better.

I don’t doubt that they know what a premiership culture looks like. Or looked like. Has a bit changed since their day?

Yes to Leading Teams. And yes to whatever Geelong did, by sitting across from each other and delivering honest truths. They haven’t looked back since. I wish we did the same. We’re not ruthless enough.

Last edited:
About what I expected, a 10 goal loss to a team a few years ahead of us in terms of system, strength, fitness and skills.
It sucks to lose but the education from this game on workrate, pressure, skill and killer instinct will help us going forward.
This Crows team put 7 goals in a row on the Pies at the MCG so they're a flag chance very soon in my mind. They are even better at home.
Good 1st half pressure wise but we can't maintain it. Some poor positioning, fumbles (Corr, LMac) and turnovers cost us and Crows made us pay.
The Crows seemed to be able to maintain a very high pressure and really ramped it up in the 3rd quarter which caused our guys to panic/fumble a bit.
Big difference in how physically bigger/powerful, skilled, athletic and fitter the Crows were than us right now which is understandable right now.
They have a very dynamic forward group. It was stark comparing Rankine/Pedlar/Rachele to our forwards with how fit and classy they were.
Some of our forwards have talent but their workrate, skills and decision making have to go to another level to get us up the ladder.
A bit the same with the back six comparing our slower defenders (McKay/Ziebs/Corr/LMac) vs Milera/Worrell/Butts/Michalenney types.
It can be fixed but it's going to take time like it did at the Crows. Fitness and smart drafting/trading for more dynamic and skilled players needed.
Positives were TT, Scott, Wardlaw, Sheez, McKay, Bergman and Logue. LDU, Simpkin and Zurhaar trying to do it themselves.
I see improvement but its not going to pay off immediately until we start to get a collective playing together over a couple of seasons like the Crows have.
Strongly agree with this. In the same time the Crows have had Nicks in charge, we've had 3 different coaches - 5 if you include the caretaker stints of Adams & Ratten. That continuity the Crows have had plays a huge role in helping player development, game plan implementation as well as that understanding between teammates.

What sh1ts me most is the turnovers. We have possession on the HB, we kick it out of defence and we turn it over..
The ball comes back. Our defenders are out of position. Their forwards take an easy mark and shot at goal.
Likewise the turnovers when we have those shallow entries to the top of the forward 50. The oppo either spoil or mark it outright and it goes flying back the other way for an easy score as our whole team is out of position.

Likewise the turnovers when we have those shallow entries to the top of the forward 50. The oppo either spoil or mark it outright and it goes flying back the other way for an easy score as our whole team is out of position.
It goes flying back the other way, because we refuse to chase, pressure and tackle for the entirety of the game.

What the *?? Get out? Really!? Turnovers cost us???

Who had 11 turnover?

We shouldn't be relying on an 18 year old who has played a dozen games to be leading the club, we have too much pressure/expectation on him. We have a lot older and more experienced players who aren't making his life any easier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep seeing this twitter account posting these analyses. Sheezel gets a lot of ball but isn't very dangerous. Wardlaw was one of the best today.

These stats are kinda interesting. They are certainly kinder to Goldy than the eye test was.
I’m assuming the weighting is geared towards actual impact on scores/possible scores, clearances, ground ball gets etc rather than just awarding points for chipping a 15m kick sideways and back?

There were times yesterday when Adelaide walked straight into our def 50 and kicked a goal. Simply can't happen again
We were sorta competitive early, but so alarming how quickly the game turned and we just fell apart. So many players not chasing or tackling, so many tackles easily broken. Soft, heartless footy. Wardlaw chased hard all day and set an example for so many others. Thats not skills - that's a mental issue. We just gave up, at times literally.

Even with LDU, Tarryn and Warlord added to the team, we are making no headway.
I'm gonna assume you're posting this in good faith and are not trying to make the situation out to be worse than it is by lumping LDU, who's been back for a grand total of one game, into your reasoning.

What exactly were you expecting from one of the toughest road trips in footy? We matched it with them for a quarter and two thirds and then fell off. I was shocked we were that close in the first place.

You can start beating the jungle drums once this frankly brutal three game stretch is over and we fall at the Hawthorn/West Coast/St Kilda/Gold Coast hurdles. But not before

We were sorta competitive early, but so alarming how quickly the game turned and we just fell apart. So many players not chasing or tackling, so many tackles easily broken. Soft, heartless footy. Wardlaw chased hard all day and set an example for so many others. Thats not skills - that's a mental issue. We just gave up, at times literally.

This is the current state of our football club.

Look at Collingwood. System/Game plan aside, it's clear as day that each player that steps onto the football field for them, has a 100% desire, win at all costs attitude. Every one of their players are manic at the contest. Can't question the effort and intent from any of their players.

And then there's North Melbourne. Could pick maybe 2-3 players each week that show a desperation to win.. usually led by Wardlaw and Sheezel. some other guys have moments (Zurhaar, Simpkin, Goldy..?) but aren't nearly as consistently competitive. 18 year olds setting the ******* standard.. it's straight up embarrassing.

And then we have the senior guys.... * me. Ziebell, McDonald, Mckay, Corr, Hall, Howe, Turner, Cunnington, Larkey (soft), Simpkin (kick), Zurhaar (dumb/selfish), LDU (soft), Stephenson (soft), Scott (soft).

Whilst some more so than others, each one of these guys currently have large flaws in their games. Whether it be skill, effort, softness, football intelligence or just generally being past it, they are all lacking.

The players I've bolded have obvious strengths that are valuable, but still have deficiencies in their game that can be perceived as detrimental, which go largely unspoken about. The rest of them are either cooked, dumb, heartless, lack composure, not good enough or a combination of those.

These are our senior guys. They should be reliable footballers that set a standard for our young guys to give 100% effort at all times, but they clearly just don't. Part of the reason our development of young guys has been so poor imo.

What's more concerning, is the lack of accountability. The inability from the coaching staff/selection panel/hierarchy.. to drop players for these reasons. They are accepting of these abysmal standards week after week, year after year.

I'd really hope the coaching staff have the balls to give some home truths to these guys, because it's really feeling like they don't.

Our number one priority should be to win premierships. If you aren't up to standard, or not showing a 100% desire to win football games for this club ala Wardlaw, then * right off and let someone else in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back