Autopsy Autopsy vs Crows - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Or make them full time professionals so they have more time to practise their physical skills as well as their understanding and adjudication of the rules... Might start getting some standards and create a bit more interest in being an umpire if they did that.
To be fair they are paid what most people would consider a full time wage, they just don't work full time.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To be fair they are paid what most people would consider a full time wage, they just don't work full time.

My Brothers mate was a boundary umpire based out of Sydney.

Absolutely loved the job and coin just a bonus as he'd have done it for free.

Not sure if it applies the same to onfield umps, but he didn't want to change his career at all to full time otherwise it would need to be big money.

Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My Brothers mate was a boundary umpire based out of Sydney.

Absolutely loved the job and coin just a bonus as he'd have done it for free.

Not sure if it applies the same to onfield umps, but he didn't want to change his career at all to full time otherwise it would need to be big money.
One of the issues is that the AFL is stated as preferring highly educated individuals in the role as they wrongfully believe these people will perform the job better. Most people would be happy with a $100K wage umpiring AFL, but for many of their favored candidates this would represent a pay cut.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They're also expected to travel for their job, have much higher levels of fitness and face more public criticism than most others in their wage brackets.

Truthfully I have zero hesitation in having them paid quite handsomely on a full time basis. They arguably have the most important non-player role in the sport and it's quite a joke that the standards are so low. IMO there should also be better pathways for players to transition into the role, they'd already have the requisite fitness and understanding of the game after a decade plus of playing it. All the younger players delisted in their early 20's should be able to see it as a potential career path into their 40's (razor is 44 ffs) that utilises the skillset they already have, while also not being as demanding on their body.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One of the issues is that the AFL is stated as preferring highly educated individuals in the role as they wrongfully believe these people will perform the job better. Most people would be happy with a $100K wage umpiring AFL, but for many of their favored candidates this would represent a pay cut.

Yeah that's probably all right.

I guess all I know is he would have quit before going full time as he had his own career and basically used the AFL for fitness "as he'd gone for a massive run that day anyway".

But sure I agree in principle for sure but the wage would need to be higher than that imo.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
They're also expected to travel for their job, have much higher levels of fitness and face more public criticism than most others in their wage brackets.

Truthfully I have zero hesitation in having them paid quite handsomely on a full time basis. They arguably have the most important non-player role in the sport and it's quite a joke that the standards are so low. IMO there should also be better pathways for players to transition into the role, they'd already have the requisite fitness and understanding of the game after a decade plus of playing it. All the younger players delisted in their early 20's should be able to see it as a potential career path into their 40's (razor is 44 ffs) that utilises the skillset they already have, while also not being as demanding on their body.

Making total sense 👍

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My best mate earns excellent coin cricket umpiring. (check cricket thread)

I guess if the AFL applied the same rationale they should pay as he's basically full time now - does Women's and Juniors etc in between the Big Bash and State League.

Cam should have scored from that. Or some blocking should have gone on, and Jaidyn should have scored. Its little thing's, but it will make all the difference and
they need to get it right.
Or Jayden should have passed the ball to LDU for him to have a shot.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We’re 4 weeks into a delayed rebuild, be patient, strap yourself in for a wild ride.

Have been ninth melbourne for past 15 years and just imagine that this comes off,

Premiership number 5.

For every Hawthorn that does this, there’s also a Carlton.....no guaranteed path to a flag.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Or Jayden should have passed the ball to LDU for him to have a shot.
before Stepho bounces Zurhaar is a short pass away running forward from the centre circle with two players in front of him, one of ours (Campbell) and one of theirs and another player on the other wing running forard by themselves. I think it was Turner.

They'll sort that stuff out alot more effectively the more they play together and as they get used to playing that way.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It was the only viable path for us given where we were at.

The Roos rebuild is an all or nothing effort.

We had a poorly constructed list with too much over 28+ sure, but it’s not necessary to blow everyone up to start again.

We came into the season with limited talls meaning injuries occurred and we’d be in trouble, that has come home to roost now.

Durdin in particular was in the age bracket where keeping him would have been prudent.

Daw who’d have been handy for cover.

Teams can rebuild without actually aiming to win the spoon.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a poorly constructed list with too much over 28+ sure, but it’s not necessary to blow everyone up to start again.

We came into the season with limited talls meaning injuries occurred and we’d be in trouble, that has come home to roost now.

Durdin in particular was in the age bracket where keeping him would have been prudent.

Were we thinking of this years draft?

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I guess Brady and his team felt like they had a good look at Durdin and that he wasn't going to make it as an AFL level footballer. Maj maybe could have done role but there would be big question marks over his body continuing to hold together. Cycling through as many young players as possible is the name of the game.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

We didnt know the list sizes, but the talls and even seniors we have shouldve been fine bar mass injuries which we of course have. If we kept them and didnt have a shocking run the club would be criticized for list cloggers.

Taz, Corr, McDonald is all the height and experience the back half needed. Plus Perez was more than ready of course, Will Walker should be up and about too. Frog, Polac, Tyson (a huge bust), Anderson in the middle. Then forwards Comben, Xerri shouldve been ready for big years - time to see what they've got at AFL level. With experience available in Garner and Taylor who should be ready to hold a spot.

Certainty not expecting those missing to make us contenders, but we have the list to be much more competitive than we have been. I think the club made the right calls, they couldnt have known injuries would cripple us like they have.

Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Certainty not expecting those missing to make us contenders, but we have the list to be much more competitive than we have been. I think the club made the right calls, they couldnt have known injuries would cripple us like they have.
With our recent history of injuries they surely couldn't have completely ruled it out.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
With our recent history of injuries they surely couldn't have completely ruled it out.

Perhaps, but we're rebuilding so the idea is not carrying too much list clogger depth. One or two of the guys we let go wouldve made no difference to our win column.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back