Autopsy Autopsy vs Crows - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a solid crack, and for 3 quarters we were exciting to watch. Crows weren’t expecting us to match them for 3 quarters. Was a decent response from Good Friday but the 8 goal lapse definitely left a real sour taste in the mouth, unfortunately I feel it will be all too common this year.

I’m really comfortable with what Noble is doing to our side and the brand of footy he wants us to play. Sure we can be pretty sloppy with our skills and we get burnt in transition but the kicks into the middle, the chain of handballs, the run and carry - its great to see.

Side note, injuries aren’t doing us any favours this year. Also I’d hate to be that one bloke who bashes the umpires but Razor Ray crucified us... Again.

sack scotts

I'll give them a bit of a pass on that last quarter given they lost 2 players very early on - and both relatively senior ones. I still think if we can get close to 80-90% availability by mid year we will start to show we can trouble sides.

I'm a traditionalist too and like the centre bounce. But here's a wacky idea - if one bloke isn't much good at it (Chamberlain) or is just having an off day with it, then don't make him do it. Why must it be shared around?

Ego.

Those that can't execute it see it as their right as umpires to continually subject us to them trying to execute it.

In what universe does this make sense?

Looked across from my Ticketmaster ordained random pews and saw a bank of people sitting in our long term reserved seats.

How the **** does any of this hedge off the risk of Covid spread exactly?

This nonsense should have gone as soon as we went to 75% capacity. We're basically now running through the hassle every week of obtaining random seats whilst sitting right next to people. There is no reason we shouldn't just be able to rock up to our reserved seats by now. We all have to check in either way.

Krakouer Bonar

Senior List
Sep 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
At least Campbell straightened us up. He may not have clunked anything, but with he and Larkey, the pill went in quicker and longer than games before. Brought the small forwards into it.

The naysayers here are as bad as Facebook. Nathan Grima was right.

We will a game this year, and I think we will welcome the judges home first V GWS in a couple of weeks. We will also snare one or two toward the back end of the season.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
This was the first week the loss ground me out. The effort and energy (after a tardy start) were much better and you could real the more engaged vibe from the crowd as a result.

But the decision making and appalling execution at times - Turner's inexplicable momentum sapper summed it up - had me questioning the whole caper. The wins are elating, the thrashings are comical but to lose when you're in it or should win it is where it hurts most.

Injuries and rotations aside, we controlled large portions of the game but inevitably the last touch would be some stupid move to pick out a crow defender and without fail they'd head straight off the races for some form of running goal or booming set shot from the boundary.

You can pick out that improved game control as a positive and it is, but there is a risk of hitting Brad Scott territory, spinning every little micro-win as a bigger win and slowly evolving into accepting a losing culture as the norm. We're not there right now but it's something to be watched. You want spirits up but not to be 'too' buoyed and self-satisfied just from 'trying' during losses.. a tough balance to get right for the coaches.

I think some of the Xerri hype is getting a bit silly. He looks ok but is hardly a 1994 Corey McKernan either. Campbell's marking was off but my god his presence transformed the sides ball movement. Goldie could switch around, Campbell is a 10000000x better centre bounce ruckman then Larkey could ever be and Tommy resting forward gave us a target. If we had a crumber's a-hole down there they could've feasted off his spills.

He can and does know how to mark a ball and he'd given him another chance at the same switching role. His followup around contests is also excellent and at least when just throws it on the boot it goes 50+ metres.

I've said my thoughts on the conditioning staff over the last few years. You can only be unlucky so many weeks, years in a row before something is considered amiss. Even things like collision related ankles might be the result of poor movement and positioning from bodies not properly adapted and ready (not just strength but mobility and ability to quickly adjust positioning) for AFL rigours.

The morning after. Plenty of endeavour - I liked that. When the skills clicked we looked good. Lost two players early - always gonna pay for that later in the game, and we did. Didn’t come home devastated but at the end of the day we lost to Adelaide by 7 goals. 3/4 time we are a winning chance on the scoreboard but they ran out of puff. Fitness worries me - injuries destroying us.

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This was the first week the loss ground me out. The effort and energy (after a tardy start) were much better and you could real the more engaged vibe from the crowd as a result.

But the decision making and appalling execution at times - Turner's inexplicable momentum sapper summed it up - had me questioning the whole caper. The wins are elating, the thrashings are comical but to lose when you're in it or should win it is where it hurts most.

Injuries and rotations aside, we controlled large portions of the game but inevitably the last touch would be some stupid move to pick out a crow defender and without fail they'd head straight off the races for some form of running goal or booming set shot from the boundary.

You can pick out that improved game control as a positive and it is, but there is a risk of hitting Brad Scott territory, spinning every little micro-win as a bigger win and slowly evolving into accepting a losing culture as the norm. We're not there right now but it's something to be watched. You want spirits up but not to be 'too' buoyed and self-satisfied just from 'trying' during losses.. a tough balance to get right for the coaches.

I think some of the Xerri hype is getting a bit silly. He looks ok but is hardly a 1994 Corey McKernan either. Campbell's marking was off but my god his presence transformed the sides ball movement. Goldie could switch around, Campbell is a 10000000x better centre bounce ruckman then Larkey could ever be and Tommy resting forward gave us a target. If we had a crumber's a-hole down there they could've feasted off his spills.

He can and does know how to mark a ball and he'd given him another chance at the same switching role. His followup around contests is also excellent and at least when just throws it on the boot it goes 50+ metres.

I've said my thoughts on the conditioning staff over the last few years. You can only be unlucky so many weeks, years in a row before something is considered amiss. Even things like collision related ankles might be the result of poor movement and positioning from bodies not properly adapted and ready (not just strength but mobility and ability to quickly adjust positioning) for AFL rigours.
Should have put Boomer on as the medical sub. Would have kicked 5 off the crumbs.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
I haven't watched a replay yet, but I reckon there is a strong argument to change the midfield rotations.
CUNNERS, luke and Jye aren't working well together, Cunners, Jye and Powell looked good even Jye, Powell and Philips looked good.
We need to change it up, like Jaiden Kyron and Zurhaar to rotate through as well.
Zurhaar won't be playing next week. He went off with concussion.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
The morning after. Plenty of endeavour - I liked that. When the skills clicked we looked good. Lost two players early - always gonna pay for that later in the game, and we did. Didn’t come home devastated but at the end of the day we lost to Adelaide by 7 goals. 3/4 time we are a winning chance on the scoreboard but they ran out of puff. Fitness worries me - injuries destroying us.
Injuries/fitness have destroyed us for the last 5 years. Every year we are starting behind the eight ball. There has to be a look into that. We are playing a young team, but we are also often playing against young teams, and get continually puffed late in games. The turnovers and mistakes don't help. It means the players that clean them up are having to play two roles. Their own and fixing up s**t decisions. That's why they are spent.

I'm a traditionalist too and like the centre bounce. But here's a wacky idea - if one bloke isn't much good at it (Chamberlain) or is just having an off day with it, then don't make him do it. Why must it be shared around?
Derek Humphrey-Smith thinks this is a great idea...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean when he wakes up.....and pulls his head in
He's got to get rid of all that bathwater he's swallowed before he turns it around.

He looks like he's putting in at half rat power at the moment and either he pulls his finger out and gets fit, or he'll be on the scrapheap.

He has the potential, he just needs to refocus.

Any footage of Cunningtons bump? Just heard on the radio that he could be in trouble. I thought it was ok watching live.

He’ll be fine. Laird held his knee post bump, suggesting he’d copped a slight knock to it in the bump process, then went off for assessment but it wasn’t a concussion assessment. Media are FoS!

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Any thoughts on the warmth of Pastries yesterday?

We‘ve covered everything elseso my lunch being a pastie was warm.

As usual Orange Peanut kept a straight face when I announced “wtf is that ...tartare sauce” as I squeezed it partially over the pastie.

Must remember to pack the spectacles next time.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Found that I could walk to Spencer Street, get Schnitz and be back losing only a couple of minutes of game time. Considering they don't let you cross over certain sections (was looking forward to some Gami) all I was left with was standard kiosk fare.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Good call on campbell. We absolutely need a 2nd ruckman in the side. Looks like Xerris form may demand a run though at Campbells expense. Campbell made some blues but he had a crack, made a contest and allowed goldy to sneak forward and jag a couple

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good call on campbell. We absolutely need a 2nd ruckman in the side. Looks like Xerris form may demand a run though at Campbells expense. Campbell made some blues but he had a crack, made a contest and allowed goldy to sneak forward and jag a couple
The structural change of two talls gave us five goals, and that's without Campbell fluffing a set shot and missing a few marks, so the template is certainly there. I'd go with Xerri myself

Remove this Banner Ad

Back