Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
I think some of the Xerri hype is getting a bit silly. He looks ok but is hardly a 1994 Corey McKernan either. Campbell's marking was off but my god his presence transformed the sides ball movement. Goldie could switch around, Campbell is a 10000000x better centre bounce ruckman then Larkey could ever be and Tommy resting forward gave us a target. If we had a crumber's a-hole down there they could've feasted off his spills.

Yep. I just assumed a lot of the ridiculous Campbell takes in this thread were typed out pre-match.

Whether its TC or Xerri, having that second ruckman in the side has multiple positive knock-on effects. it's not going to negatively affect our rebuild but it might stop us ruining Larkey.

blisk

Senior List
Aug 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Frustrating as anything final term, more so that we should have probably been 4-5 goals ahead at 3 qtr time but again we were unable to capitalise on sustained periods of dominance (particularly in the 2nd)

One thing I’ve noticed and it’s been a common theme throughout the first 4 games is that we’re unable to force f50 stoppages. Too many times we have players tackled in an outnumber situation and the ball is forced out in the tackle allowing for an easy rebound. The messaging needs to be contain the ball in these scenarios and as a worst case we have some time to setup behind the ball

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
Yep. I just assumed a lot of the ridiculous Campbell takes in this thread were typed out pre-match.

Whether its TC or Xerri, having that second ruckman in the side has multiple positive knock-on effects. it's not going to negatively affect our rebuild but it might stop us ruining Larkey.
It was just a case of having anyone, someone, there to create a contest that wouldn't mean the entire opposition defence could go to Larkey. Xerri is not on the injury list, and its been shown that he will have a go, so he should be playing. I cant work out why he isn't.

LDU, Thomas, Scott and Larkey have now spent a few seasons in the system, it is now time for them to take the next step, and they have at various stages, but need to do it with more consistency, at the moment they are fading in and out of the game.
I agree to a certain extent but Larkey I believe needs more time as he is a KPF and they dont become superstars overnight and now he is taking the best defender when that wasn't the case before.
LDU gets the ball but tries too hard to do the flashy stuff and gets caught but is having a go.
Its the other 2 who don't seem to have progressed as well as we had hoped. Yes TT did some good stuff yesterday but he goes missing and the goal he missed well I know he wasn't alone but he should have kicked it.
I think Bailey Scott needs to step up, I know he has had injuries BUT his time is now. He has flashes of play that are great but goes missing. Needs to impose himself better on the game

I think some of the Xerri hype is getting a bit silly. He looks ok but is hardly a 1994 Corey McKernan either. Campbell's marking was off but my god his presence transformed the sides ball movement. Goldie could switch around, Campbell is a 10000000x better centre bounce ruckman then Larkey could ever be and Tommy resting forward gave us a target. If we had a crumber's a-hole down there they could've feasted off his spills.

He can and does know how to mark a ball and he'd given him another chance at the same switching role. His followup around contests is also excellent and at least when just throws it on the boot it goes 50+ metres.

It is not so much Xerri hype, it is that he is the only one on our list that can do the role atm... other than Campbell and he is more than likely not going to be on our list for very long. I don't like to be generally negative, because he is a solid VFL ruckman, he just not an AFL grade player and there is no shame in that 99.9% of the population isn't.

I do agree we need a second ruckman playing, and I think Xerri being a ruck/forward provides us with more of an option to utilise him up forward. I think Campbell played as well as he is capable of playing and he was a bit of a target, he gave us a contest at least and if the option is Campbell or nothing then I would rather play Campbell. But we need to figure out if Xerri is worth pushing or if we need to target another ruck/fwd option in the mid-season draft. If Xerri can just come in and compete, it would give us at least until the end of the season to have a look at perhaps some longer-term options.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why can’t they bounce the ball though?

It's their thing.

I reckon if you surveyed the football going public and asked if bounces were reduced to one per quarter to kick things off would anyone care? The answer would in all likelihood be no.

Instead we're subjected to Ray f***ing Chamberlain doing a little dance before attempting to bounce, then bounce the ball and it skewing one way or the other.

It's nothing but ego. That's it. It's all it is umpiring ego.
I read a while back that the requirement for umpires to be able to bounce the ball keeps some of the better decision makers out of the big time. More reason to get rid of it.

During the commentary yesterday, Kingy stated the bleeding obvious about our kick in's, way too predictable and easily countered for quick rebound scoring opportunities.

Should be a high priority area to address, as successfully executing it can help stop constant repeat F50 entries for opposition having a "run on" scenario, and possibly even be a momentum changer.

BTRAIN2

Team Captain
Aug 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A few potting Mahony, I'm amazed. Thought he was pretty bloody good yesterday. Put his body on the line a few times and started some good running chains with quick handball. Also, Campbell, yeah he'll be delisted but he had a crack and could easily have had two or three goals if the kick into him were half decent. He was in good position twice only for the ball to be kicked too short for him to use his body. At least he provided a big body which is something we have sorely missed going forward this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Maybe I'm being harsh but I hated the commentary team yesterday.

Kingy was good, Dunstall ok but the rest.......

Leigh Montagna I really don't rate at all.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
People are weird. I like winning as much as the next person but the level of excitement from some supporters while belting us this year has been... interesting to say the least. I tend to get up and about the most when we're beating an actual good team personally. Some of the dogs people last week were celebrating like they were taking down a full strength 2007 Geelong team.
When success is scarce, it's easy to go over the top. They've been ok recently, but for the majority of their existence, they've been a failure. Throw in a few loud mouth people and a bit of success, and there you are.

Roscoe

Premium Platinum
Oct 5, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
KANGAROOS
I don't think Zurhaar was missed after he went off other than affecting our rotations.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
that third tweet is the interesting one - we're all probably a bit puzzled about the shortage of talls, but maybe Troy's right, the ground rules changed between when the list changes were made and the thinking of the new coach

Definitely the case.

100%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back