Autopsy Autopsy vs Crows - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

My voice is a bit sore this evening, thats got to be a good thing. The crowd got into it for the first time this season after being given a few things to cheer about.

The 3rd coach in a row to try the Campbell experiment and the 3rd coach to get badly burnt by it.

When will these guys learn that Campbell’s ceiling is the VFL and that AFL Level he is useless and just gets in the way?

The only time Campbell should be getting games is if Goldy is injured.

So disappointing that we shot ourselves in the foot again by selecting a bloke that pretty much is worthless as a forward.

Who knows with a decent forward we might have been able to get a nice lead at 3/4 time instead of only a few points.

As for the umpiring, can we please get some consistency? We were pretty much on the end of every shocking HTB decision while the Crows were allowed to throw it while being tackled.

What's wrong with this picture everyone?
5627bb19ae5432ec1abe62f9015d1deb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Damo’s there with a Crows flag
60ABE724-8FCE-4929-9DED-C53A49C8AF27.jpeg

We lost by 41 points to last years wooden spooners. Some good signs from some of our younger blokes but overall it was an average performance considering we were at home against an average team. We have a lot of players that panic and make the wrong decisions. Turner to a tagging role worked and I think that is the only way he gets a game as he is a liability in the forward line.

Bonar, McKay, Powell, Jack, Hall, Simpkin and Stephenson were our best while Thomas, Phillips and Goldy were ok.

There was improvement in our skills execution but there was little pressure and compared to Port vs Tigers it was like watching a completely different game.

Next week against Geelong at GMHBA stadium could get ugly with Dangerfield returning. Could be another 100 + thrashing.
Relax max.. yeah they were last years wooden spooners and finished 18th... guess where we finished? It was 18th vs 17th.. not only have we gutted 1/4 of our list, but we have several key injuries which has bereft us of any depth. Compounding this even further was the fact we were a man down (after losing both our reigning b&f but also reigning leading goal kicker) before qtr time. Double compound this by the fact we were absolutely ****ed over by the yellow maghot umpires.
After all of this you should sit back and be content with not only the performance given, but also the direction we are heading.
Rome wasn't built in a day.

He hit some deadset zingers by foot today ol Jack, spoiled many by air. He again is not the reason we are struggling
If you see this GR, I'd love to see JZ's possessions today.

I'm not sure if I get caught up in the game, but geez it felt like he was turning it over a lot?

No question about his courage and commitment. He's certainly had a large number of learnings in the first 4 games, like in the last he needed to organise the defence when there was a fifty given. Even though the game was dead, there was stuff all 'generaling' of the backline happening.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haven't read the whole thread yet but people complaining about the 4th quarter fade out seem to be disregarding how we had two of our toughest players go down for the game in the first quarter so we were a sub and rotation short for most of the match. Thought the performance was excellent for three quarters with an understandable fade out in the last given our injury situation. We honestly played well enough around the ground for three quarters that we should have had a better lead going into the last. We were very wasteful in front of goal and our final pass inside 50 was awful. If we can clean things up disposal-wise with our final pass, I feel like our midfield will keep us in a few games this year.

P.s. Some absolute feral Crows supporters around today and on the first level. Can't Marvel piss off interstate supporters to level 3 for our games?
Lol i was on lvl 3 and thinking cant oppo supporters be ****ed off to a designated isolated portion of the stadium... ideally outside.

I am glad we had a crack, we ran out of gas in the last quarter, particularly with the two injuries, so I was kind of expecting us to fizz out, shame we lost a bit of our composure in the last.

I thought Turner did okay for 3 quarters in a different role, as a tagger, it kind of suits his strengths more than a forward.

Even though Campbell is a VFL calibre player, I think it helped a lot having another ruckman, it allowed one of him or Goldstein to push forward or back as the situation required and we had another target to contest. I would like to see us continue with a second ruckman, give Xerri a crack when he is ready.

We were two down early and we used fewer interchanges than the Crows. We have so many running players, we don't really need 4 on the bench. Phillips only played 60% ToG, Bonar 70%, Lazzaro 80%. We still had more petrol in the tank.

I was happy with Bonar's game, he reminds me a lot of Firrito, he can play taller than he is, can also play on smaller opponents. His defending is normally pretty good. He is on the right path.

Stephenson looks more dangerous at half-forward, I think he should start here and have periods where he goes into the middle.

Powell going very well, he is mostly limited atm by his size and strength. He lead the team again for pressure acts and I think it highlights the current problem, he had 29 today, Cunnington had 15 and Simpkin 10. He also had 8 tackles which was a team high. He has been at the club for a nanosecond, he is only 74kg and he is doing more of the heavy lifting than our senior players. We do not have enough quality mature players that provide leadership/stability. Our boys either have to mature fast, or we need to find some strong bodied mature players for the next few years.

To date, I think Simpkin and LDU have been disappointing, compared to the standard they played last year. Perhaps Anderson and Dumont complimented the way they played more than Cunnington does, they don't seem to be working cohesively atm.

I think Hall worked better as a rebounding defender, he and Ziebell were okay in that regard, Hall had 33 disposals, Ziebell 25. Hall had 835m gained, Ziebell 518. It is the defending that isn't a strong suit but I think they and the club are making the most of an injury depleted back line.

McKay was really good.

I have reservations about Hayden and Mahony.

Initial thoughts for next week:

Out: Campbell, McDonald, Zurhaar, Hayden
In: Xerri, Atu, Taylor, Walker

FB: Atu McKay Bonar
HB: Ziebell Walker Atley
C: Scott LDU Powell
HF: Thomas Xerri Stephenson
FF: Taylor Larkey Mahony
F: Goldstein Cunnington Simpkin
I: Phillips Lazzaro Young Turner
sub Hayden

Last edited:
Probably a game that won’t go down in the history books other than a loss but it was impressive to see the jigsaw pieces coming together in Powell, Stevo, Lazaro, LDU, Bonar, Jy, Young, Larkey, Mahoney, Phillips, Scott and Buckets.

The structure for our second half of the decade is coming together very well.

Back to the draft again this year and likely top picks and things will turn.

Last edited:
Durdin was inexplicably still on the list from about 2018 onwards.

Not only that, he is now potting the players on Twitter comparing them to disabled athletes. This is a bloke whose career highlight is getting knocked out by Sandilands and big Sandi knocking himself out in the process, that’s literally it. His personality is below average even for a South Australian.

Not so sure that you are representing Durdin's tweets accurately there but perhaps you'd care to quote the ones you are referring to. What I've seen seems to be the exact opposite of what you are saying, which would imply that your post is in bad faith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else at the game notice the sheila that read the team names prior to the bounce got at least three wrong. Mahoney became Ma honey (been watching all the Police Academy movies), Zurhaar became Zoo ahhh, Ben Mackay became Ben Mackie. FFS. Embarrassing to the club. Surely it isn't too hard to get the names of the players right.
Pretty sure she’s a marvel stadium employee that just chucks on a polo of the home team every game.

There's no point in replying with that rubbish. Lower your expectations as we were given rogering from the umps and copped two more injuries.

We're severely lacking in some areas and I'm going to give credit where its due. The boys gave it a crack against a team that doesn't have the same downfalls up forward.
Mate. Your summary was not even close to realistic. And I’ll have whatever expectations I feel like having without any reference to you. I’ve been watching North for 60 years and know quite clearly when we are way short of the level required. As we have been many times over the years. We have always come back. So thanks for you gratuitous lecture but I’ll put my experience up against yours every day of the week.

I am glad we had a crack, we ran out of gas in the last quarter, particularly with the two injuries, so I was kind of expecting us to fizz out, shame we lost a bit of our composure in the last.

I thought Turner did okay for 3 quarters in a different role, as a tagger, it kind of suits his strengths more than a forward.

Even though Campbell is a VFL calibre player, I think it helped a lot having another ruckman, it allowed one of him or Goldstein to push forward or back as the situation required and we had another target to contest. I would like to see us continue with a second ruckman, give Xerri a crack when he is ready.

We were two down early and we used fewer interchanges than the Crows. We have so many running players, we don't really need 4 on the bench. Phillips only played 60% ToG, Bonar 70%, Lazzaro 80%. We still had more petrol in the tank.

I was happy with Bonar's game, he reminds me a lot of Firrito, he can play taller than he is, can also play on smaller opponents. His defending is normally pretty good. He is on the right path.

Stephenson looks more dangerous at half-forward, I think he should start here and have periods where he goes into the middle.

Powell going very well, he is mostly limited atm by his size and strength. He lead the team again for pressure acts and I think it highlights the current problem, he had 29 today, Cunnington had 15 and Simpkin 10. He also had 8 tackles which was a team high. He has been at the club for a nanosecond, he is only 74kg and he is doing more of the heavy lifting than our senior players. We do not have enough quality mature players that provide leadership/stability. Our boys either have to mature fast, or we need to find some strong bodied mature players for the next few years.

To date, I think Simpkin and LDU have been disappointing, compared to the standard they played last year. Perhaps Anderson and Dumont complimented the way they played more than Cunnington does, they don't seem to be working cohesively atm.

I think Hall worked better as a rebounding defender, he and Ziebell were okay in that regard, Hall had 33 disposals, Ziebell 25. Hall had 835m gained, Ziebell 518. It is the defending that isn't a strong suit but I think they and the club are making the most of an injury depleted back line.

McKay was really good.

I have reservations about Hayden and Mahony.

Initial thoughts for next week:

Out: Campbell, McDonald, Zurhaar, Hayden
In: Xerri, Atu, Taylor, Walker

FB: Atu McKay Bonar
HB: Ziebell Walker Atley
C: Scott LDU Powell
HF: Thomas Xerri Stephenson
FF: Taylor Larkey Taylor
F: Goldstein Cunnington Simpkin
I: Phillips Lazzaro Young Mahony
sub Hayden

Excellent post. Agree with every single word.

Been some really good summary of todays game. The one thing I'd like to see, is TT playing closer to goal for most of a game. Having watched ridiculous amounts of his games here in Tas, that's where I see him "currently", being of more benefit to the team structure.

Why do players not get back quick enough, and far enough, from the man on the mark?
I actually don't know. It must be a game plan issue because forwards/players did lead but got ignored. And then lead again and still got ignored. Stephenson twice. It must be annoying the s**t out of him.

Since it wasn't answered in the other thread, I will ask here.

Why do players not get back quick enough, and far enough, from the man on the mark?

It's so idiotic. Such a basic fundamental, does my head in.

They stand there, 1-2 m from the opposition, like a stunned mullet.

Get back, for Christ sake. DO NOT give the opposition an opportunity to smother, ever.

Show some intensity with stagnant ball, in hand.

Been happening for a few years, it's not new. LDU and Cunners do it, a lot.
Just a guess.. the new s**t “stand still “ rule. Player on the mark cannot smother so not as much urgency to give themselves room

Remove this Banner Ad

Back