Autopsy Autopsy vs Dogs - Rd 16 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

It shouldn't be a request. Player should provide the ball back at their earliest opportunity, no ifs, buts or maybe and no warning - see how quickly it happens from every single player in the league if they paid the rule like this. I saw a player in the last couple of weeks hold onto the ball for upwards of 10 seconds because they were arguing the call with the umpire - it shouldn't matter whether you agree or not. The ball should be returned immediately. This whole "which player am I returning it to" act when half the time there is only one possible opponent to return the ball to annoys me no end.
Yep.

Its not just us either.

What it is, is one of the things that *s the game. It slows the game and contributes to congestion by giving sides time to flood back, which means the AFL then brings in stupid rules to open the game up.

If it just played properly by the rules that were in place already then there wouldn't be a problem to fix.

This is what happens when a try hard, wannabe aristocratic remittance man runs the sport.

It shouldn't be a request. Player should provide the ball back at their earliest opportunity, no ifs, buts or maybe and no warning - see how quickly it happens from every single player in the league if they paid the rule like this. I saw a player in the last couple of weeks hold onto the ball for upwards of 10 seconds because they were arguing the call with the umpire - it shouldn't matter whether you agree or not. The ball should be returned immediately. This whole "which player am I returning it to" act when half the time there is only one possible opponent to return the ball to annoys me no end.
well said; if they want to keep the game open, this is the easiest easy step forward, no rule change required, just enforce it

Especially when players are using it as an opportunity to extract the 50m penalty.

There seems a relatively simple solution for this as well - at least for 90% of these nonsense frees - make the protected zone apply to both teams. Any player dragging an opponent through the zone means it's not a free kick. It's a team sport, so don't allow teams to rig the system. Make it so that both teams keep palyers out of the immediate vicinity of the zone. Only real immediate "drawback" is the hand off to another goal kicker, I can live with that though, bigger issue for me is having 50m free kicks for very low impact on opponents.

Let's be honest. How many rules (and interpretations) are a complete cluster * at the moment?
Protected zone
Contact below knees
Holding the ball (prior opp and what constitutes it, making an attempt, illegal disposal)
Legal disposal
Deliberate out of bounds (insufficient intent)
Ruck infringements
Dangerous tackles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back