Autopsy Autopsy vs Geelong - Round 5, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

BogBot

Debutant
Dec 17, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pretty sure a kick over 40meters to a 50/50 contest counts as an effective disposal too.

Zebrah

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2011
Arden Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He gave sweet FA link up and drive. The coach is always going to try and justify his decision.

ooooookkay.

can’t see why Noble would feel the need to justify anything.

but let me guess, you made a call at some point over the last couple of years that Ziebell is no good?

It is the only way to explain the position you are taking.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Because until 2020 kick-ins did not count as a disposal.
JZ wasn't as bad as KT makes out, but the stats definitely flatter the designated kick in taker these days.
It's a shame that it counts as a stat now. Affects how you compare players historically from a statistical perspective. Actually it affects just a modern comparison because I can't even compare defenders statistically unless I know the kick-out routines of all 18 clubs and I watch a fair bit of footy but not that much.

justroyal

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Because until 2020 kick-ins did not count as a disposal.
JZ wasn't as bad as KT makes out, but the stats definitely flatter the designated kick in taker these days.

Ziebs got rated as the worst in the afl for kick ins this week. I didn't hate his game and liked him tonight. Except for the rookie like turnovers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not going to repeat what's already said. A lot of promising signs. Love the look of our new recruits.

Very disappointed in Hayden, Thomas and Scott. All 3 need to show something. Thomas seems to do a couple of good things, drink his own koolaid and then take the rest of the game off. Scott needs to be getting 20 plus possession games. I thought he'd be our sam gibson running machine providing and option time and time again.

All 3 and Mahony need time in the VFL to build confidence but with so many injuries we need to persist.

Out: Campbell, Mahony, Hall (inj)
In: Xerri, Garner, LDU

Surely Hayden has to go as well. He has been a complete non-event this season and with the few possessions he does get he is prone to butchering it. I would also look at dropping Lazarro as well and Phillips gets another game but needs a step up in output. Charlie does good things when he does get it but has just played his 3rd game in a row where he has had 7 or fewer touches.

BogBot

Debutant
Dec 17, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ziebs got rated as the worst in the afl for kick ins this week. I didn't hate his game and liked him tonight. Except for the rookie like turnovers
Not sure if it’s Ziebells fault or not, but the best result from our kick ins is usually a throw in on the wing.

Most of the time we were struggling to get it out of the defensive 50.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's a shame that it counts as a stat now. Affects how you compare players historically from a statistical perspective. Actually it affects just a modern comparison because I can't even compare defenders statistically unless I know the kick-out routines of all 18 clubs and I watch a fair bit of footy but not that much.
Yep, don't know why they can't just record it as a separate stat. Which I'm sure Champion Data did anyway in the past.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah that's pretty much how I saw it. He's playing a role and doing okay, but by no means killing it just yet. I think he is improving week to week so hopefully he keeps that trajectory going.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure if it’s Ziebells fault or not, but the best result from our kick ins is usually a throw in on the wing.

Most of the time we were struggling to get it out of the defensive 50.
It seems to be the go to play. Long to a massive contest on the wing and hope to mark it but settle for a stoppage. A few times a nice shorter kick got us close to the 50 in the corridor, it would be great if we could manage that more often. But between the long kicks to the wing or shorter ones to the pocket, our tactics for the kick outs are pretty poo and I don't like them. Not going to blame JZ for that though, he's clearly playing to instruction.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, don't know why they can't just record it as a separate stat. Which I'm sure Champion Data did anyway in the past.
Aesthetically it's not very pleasing either. I can see the positive affect it had on the game but it made a lot of sense that you kicked in from the square before. Now a guy just runs out over lines that rarely mean anything.

Zebrah

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2011
Arden Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
L
While I don't think Ziebs was a bad as Kangatime is making out, he has a point about the kickouts.

He probably took 12+ kickouts. Run 10 metres from the square and kick it 50. That's probably 65% of his metres gained.

The stats are fake news.

Who cares about the kick in stats. Without the 17 kick ins, he still got it 21 times out of the backline (and he was denied the opportunity to mark a kick in 17 times).

plus, he has to take the responsibility of the kick ins - not an easy job with our current team and marking options.

who would have done a better job for us today?

he played a good game.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure it's been mentioned, but I thought Curtis Taylor's game was pretty damn good considering the circumstances. Isn't afraid of some hard running or attacking the contest, and ended up with a decent stat line: 13 disposals, 4 tackles, a contested mark and 4 score involvements from 54% game time.

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont
Just got back from the game, a couple of things:

• You would have thought Geelong lost with how their supporters reacted during the game, looked genuinely frustrated/embarrassed (I would be too).
  • Ben McKay has to be the frontrunner for the All Australian Fullback position.
  • They didn't have any mirrors inside the bathroom where I went to (Gate 1), which much be a hard thing for Dangerfield to deal with.
  • Geelong are cooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back