Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Just got back from the game, a couple of things:

• You would have thought Geelong lost with how their supporters reacted during the game, looked genuinely frustrated/embarrassed (I would be too).
  • Ben McKay has to be the frontrunner for the All Australian Fullback position.
  • They didn't have any mirrors inside the bathroom where I went to (Gate 1), which much be a hard thing for Dangerfield to deal with.
  • Geelong are cooked.

Off topic, I need another 15 posts on JZ thanks because it’s important for me to know in relation to our Finals thrust in 2025-29

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cheers, hadn't seen that. Bit misleading saying he got rated worst in the league for them though, as the article itself says.

We're actually third best for getting an inside 50 from a kick in, yet from jack's kick in's we've only scored 0.1 (as opposed to the 8.1 against us generated from turnovers). Of the top fifteen kickout players he's ranked equal 4th for generating an inside 50. Speaks more towards a systemic failure of the group than JZ himself and we also have bugger all to compare it against in the article.

As interesting as the article is, it's pretty bullshit we can't just have the raw data and instead have to have it filtered in this way. I hate champion data for how much they segment us off from the stats.

7D853DD3-ACF0-48E1-B6D1-C9E754D04A3C.jpeg

Interesting.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Match fitness would further reduce the disparity between the two team.

justroyal

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cheers, hadn't seen that. Bit misleading saying he got rated worst in the league for them though, as the article itself says.

We're actually third best for getting an inside 50 from a kick in, yet from jack's kick in's we've only scored 0.1 (as opposed to the 8.1 against us generated from turnovers). Of the top fifteen kickout players he's ranked equal 4th for generating an inside 50. Speaks more towards a systemic failure of the group than JZ himself and we also have bugger all to compare it against in the article.

As interesting as the article is, it's pretty bullshit we can't just have the raw data and instead have to have it filtered in this way. I hate champion data for how much they segment us off from the stats.

Yep that was my bad. It was more said loosely based on that article saying North were worst in the league and considering he is taking our kick outs.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate him playing in that position and can't really see McDonald or anyone else being a better option. Similarly to the young guys, he is getting better week by week in his new role.

I liked him moving up the ground a bit to. He created a turnover in the midfield which left the Cats caught off guard in a forward transition. He's experience could be used better. We just need players leading up field better.

chubbspeterson

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pretty good effort, clearly trying their guts out but lacking solid decision making/skills, particularly when fatigued in 2nd half.
Geelong had a lot of shots they missed but also thought we had some good passages we could've scored from, will come in time.
Bit of a difference in weight division as well. Larkey basically had Henderson and Blicavs on him, there shoulders are massive in comparison, thought Larkey battled hard but think he's not the main man long term.
Backline holding together under siege. Ziebs looked exhausted, throwing himself all over the place, made some errors for sure but we've got a whole new group down back with not much coming back in to help him at this stage. McKay, Bonar and Atu looking good. Hall injury didn't help either.
I'd hold fire on Young. Has a big tank and is prepared to gut run off half back. Made some errors but also hit some brilliant kicks as well. Errors tend to come in the second half with him as fatigue sets in, like most of the boys tbo.
Only real major concern to me is Mahoney's form but it looks like they're giving him roles to stick to that Turner used to do.
One thing I noticed with Laz was he blasted a ball to the spare defender on one entry, next entry he hit up a lead, showed he learnt from the passage before.
Powell has awesome composure, that 15m chip kick was unreal vision. Can't wait to see him when he's built his tank and put muscle on.

Lavy_Panther

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2005
Mumbai Dustbowl
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Parthiv Patel
Some positives for sure. Bonar has been unreal. McKay surprised me. Atu really good and clean in a first up effort.

On the negative side, it’s very apparent it’s gotten to the stage where Young, Hayden and Walker should be given strict instructions to NEVER kick the ball.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A cardboard cutout. I don’t care.

They are not the future, every second of game time they chew up with their fraudulence and ineptitude gets us nowhere.

They are all potatoes, we are better off pumping games into Xerri, McGuinness and Spicer. Ford, Will Walker, anyone returning (we do have 8 best 22 players out currently)
So essentially, what are saying is, you have no ******* idea?

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not going to repeat what's already said. A lot of promising signs. Love the look of our new recruits.

Very disappointed in Hayden, Thomas and Scott. All 3 need to show something. Thomas seems to do a couple of good things, drink his own koolaid and then take the rest of the game off. Scott needs to be getting 20 plus possession games. I thought he'd be our sam gibson running machine providing and option time and time again.

All 3 and Mahony need time in the VFL to build confidence but with so many injuries we need to persist.

Out: Campbell, Mahony, Hall (inj)
In: Xerri, Garner, LDU
I’d probably drop n give Kyron a spell before Mahony.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Some positives for sure. Bonar has been unreal. McKay surprised me. Atu really good and clean in a first up effort.

On the negative side, it’s very apparent it’s gotten to the stage where Young, Hayden and Walker should be given strict instructions to NEVER kick the ball.
Young will get it together.. I’d like to see Kyron practicing those kicks after training and stay out of the gym for a week. Too much gym not enough kicks into the bins. And walker needs to GTFO

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Because until 2020 kick-ins did not count as a disposal.
JZ wasn't as bad as KT makes out, but the stats definitely flatter the designated kick in taker these days.
Nah not 2020, I believe it was 2018 where by you didnt have to kick the ball to yourself to play on. If you played on then it was deemed a possession. As it is now. If you kick out from inside the goals square its not deemed a possession

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
ooooookkay.

can’t see why Noble would feel the need to justify anything.

but let me guess, you made a call at some point over the last couple of years that Ziebell is no good?

It is the only way to explain the position you are taking.
I called out JZ, said he’d be a bust down back, said he’d be out sooner rather than later playing back. But he hasn’t been too bad, do I believe he plays there if our best back 6 are available? No. Is he doing a serviceable role? Yes

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
While I don't think Ziebs was a bad as Kangatime is making out, he has a point about the kickouts.

He probably took 12+ kickouts. Run 10 metres from the square and kick it 50. That's probably 65% of his metres gained.

The stats are fake news.
We need the count of kick ins because i saw hall with the ball, Atley and *in walker too

Bollocks. Most his kicks in play went backwards or sideways. He gave us absolutely zero drive from the back line. In fact his turnovers cost us 2 or 3 goals.

He had 33 kicks, 5 handballs and 946m gained, so that is an average of forward territory gained of 25m per disposal and he went 78.8% by foot. I thought he was pretty good, I can only remember one kick which went straight to the opposition, I was pretty happy with our back line. McKay, Ziebell, Bonar, Atu primarily. Walker and Atley were okay without being great.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He had 33 kicks, 5 handballs and 946m gained, so that is an average of forward territory gained of 25m per disposal and he went 78.8% by foot. I thought he was pretty good, I can only remember one kick which went straight to the opposition, I was pretty happy with our back line. McKay, Ziebell, Bonar, Atu primarily. Walker and Atley were okay without being great.
Commentary also stated at the time that it was his first turnover by foot. He hasnt been that bad down there. We break down between the arcs. We dont have a marking target down the line. It hurts when Campbell cant take a contested mark

Last edited:

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our backline is solid. Our midfield and forward line putrid. Jack Ziebell has been playing ok down back. The coach agrees. I doubt Noble does supercoach

NORTH MELBOURNE

Despite the final margin and the significant statistical differentials, North fans have every right to walk away from Sunday’s 30-point loss to Geelong with a glass half-full approach. The Kangaroos’ pressure and early efficiency inside 50 kept them in the game, with the Roos booting three of the first four goals of the game. By quarter-time, 17 Kangaroos players had applied at least one tackle, whereas only seven Cats had one tackle to their name. Ultimately weight of numbers proved too much for the Kangaroos, with the Cats booting seven goals to four in the second half to win.

In the votes

North coach David Noble would’ve been pleased with the outputs of their most experienced players in Ben Cunnington and Jack Ziebell. In his third game back, Cunnington booted one goal from 29 disposals, 15 contested possessions and seven clearances, while Ziebell had 38 disposals — the second-most he’s ever had in an AFL game. Aiden Bonar (20 disposals, 12 intercepts) had one of the east games of his short career, while Jaidyn Stephenson booted two goals from 16 touches.

Room for improvement

when the Roos had an opportunity to overrun the Cats in the third term – they had 18 inside 50 entries to Geelong’s 11 – the Kangaroos could only muster two goals while conceding four majors themselves.

Grade

B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back