Autopsy Autopsy vs Geelong - Round 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if it's already been posted, but does anyone have the GIF of that Phillips clearance from the centre and the perfectly weighted kick to Larkey that ended in a goal?

(I don't want to trawl through 17 pages of Teffy's alt and his bad football takes)

giantroo

Not sure if it's already been posted, but does anyone have the GIF of that Phillips clearance from the centre and the perfectly weighted kick to Larkey that ended in a goal?

(I don't want to trawl through 17 pages of Teffy's alt and his bad football takes)

giantroo

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
We cannot plumb depths like Carlton or Melbourne have for so long. It's been too long already FFS. We have this draft down the bottom. We will have next draft as a likely bottom 6 but we need to be pretty close to finals bound after that.

People think there are a lot of relocation f*** off to Tassie stories now?

We've not even started to cop it yet.

We need, not want or hope, we need to have clear improvement. We cannot just open up to a bunch of kids to be eaten alive all the time. We will not survive it.

Disagree, a list building with exciting talent will have our fans up and about well before then and yes we're likely bottom 4 next, possibly bottom 2 next season. Wont be long and the media heads will be over the youth as well. A middle of the road going nowhere team is an easier relocation target.

Besides, IF a few bad years is all it takes then its already over. If not now its only a matter of time before we're down the bottom longer than we'd like. I honestly cant see Tassie getting their own team within 5 years given Covid and all. By then we'll up and about with one of the most talented lists, isnt that what you want when they seriously push for a team?

Last edited:

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

giantroo

That kick basically forced Larkey to play on it was so perfectly weighted.

nj23

Senior List
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think he’d just caught wind they were paying the mark and needed the boys to provide options on that side of the ground where Walker was taking the kick from.
Yeah of course no denying there could be nothing in it. I just found it interesting given the time in review gave ample time to set up and I hadn't seen JZ signal to the coaches box in any other occasion and thought perhaps they were deliberately changing tack. Sort of like the training scenarios where there's 60 seconds on the clock and one goal to win.

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mahony will be fine. Some vfl time soon will help. Hayden I’m not sold on at all. Reckon he’ll struggle to get another contract unfortunately.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We cannot plumb depths like Carlton or Melbourne have for so long. It's been too long already FFS. We have this draft down the bottom. We will have next draft as a likely bottom 6 but we need to be pretty close to finals bound after that.

People think there are a lot of relocation f*** off to Tassie stories now?

We've not even started to cop it yet.

We need, not want or hope, we need to have clear improvement. We cannot just open up to a bunch of kids to be eaten alive all the time. We will not survive it.
agree with all of that, and I know you want 'clear improvement' over a period of time, which must included winning games, but yesterday I reckon the compass starting pointing north (no pun intended)

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
There wont be 7 changes. Zero chance.

Oh won't there?

1618800428370-png.1106306

agree with all of that, and I know you want 'clear improvement' over a period of time, which must included winning games, but yesterday I reckon the compass starting pointing north (no pun intended)

We went from a quarter with 1 significant play on Good Friday.

To 3 quarters of decent play and 10 minutes of absolute horse s**t against Adelaide.

To inconsistent but 4 quarters of effort yesterday.

The last time we played in Geelong a much more senior side was held significantly more with a game plan of long down the line. Yesterday there were quite a few periods where we had the game on our own terms.

We will keep building through the year. The list still has holes in it but at least it looks like the team are buying into what Noble is selling.

Yeah winning games is absolutely required, but we are starting from a really low point. we dont need to actively dig lower right now. .

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I must say it's impressive how readily you admit you have absolutely no clue.

He has literally advocated for a guy who has 67 possessions, 2 goals, and 6 tackles from 9 quarters of footy, and is one of the best runners and ball users in the team this year to not play another game of seniors all year and to be delisted at the end of the year. Angry and clueless!

This all makes sense, Adolf.

But let’s take a deeper dive, is the net result of Mahony attracting the ball furthering the cause of the NMFC. Would we actually be better off without Mahony receiving the ball or better yet, is the act of Mahony receiving the ball in space an allowance made by the opposition coach?

The second shot at goal from 35m out which missed the point post by 15m suggests we may be better off with spicy’s Zero Touches and inferred pressure due to having, you know, the two things you ******* need as a small forward, SPEED & TRICKS.

Mahony was good last year and has been pus so far this year. It’s ok to say this, it’s not putting sh*t on young players to suggest a run in the twos for confidence might do them the world of good, same goes for RobZombie, we can’t attract high quality footballers, the only way we can get them is through the Draft. Yay, let’s bag the draft.

Literally our only hope of ever seeing another premiership is to get lucky with the draft and you are bagging it. For all those spreadsheet and game theory analysis (which I like), you’re missing the section which reads, we no longer have the greatest development program in the league (U19s circa 1984-1993), we are a dynamically run boutique operation. Our best bet is to sell the farm and hope that the muppets don’t make any more errors at selection (Mahony over Rivers and Phillips over Cox) as we flat out can’t afford any more ******* disasters.
Don't have any issue with young players going back to the twos for confidence, but there's no way they're making 7 changes on the back of that game. It's the list managers' job to make sure we're not accidentally too good during a rebuild, not the coaches' and match committee's. Nothing to be gained by making stunt selections. If Garner, Tyson and Menadue are the best performed and most ready to come in, so be it. If Hall plays his way into another 1-year contract, ******* rapt for him. He's a ripper bloke. If we only make 3 changes with 2 out injured and 2 returning from injury, and another unforced omission, fine. You can't say "we're s**t because the coach has favourites and doesn't enforce standards" and then advocate gifting games just because you cbf watching the VFL to see a kid.

I'll give you a stat: Inside-50 differential. We're currently easily worst in the league at -16, 10 worse than last year and 6 worse than last year's Crows. Only 2 teams have been worse over a whole season since 2010 - the first two years of GWS. In our "good" game yesterday we were -21. Our midfield is dire and swapping out small forwards doesn't matter a pinch of s**t. The forward line is also s**t, but that doesn't matter this year - it's all about getting the mids we have up to a point where they're making a difference, not just showing glimpses.

The draft is the draft. We only have one first rounder because we couldn't find a desperate enough buyer for pick 2 last year. It will be a top 3 pick and I honestly don't care which one of the likely top 3-4 picks we end up with. To get more, we need to either give up considerable currency - one of our good young players, a future first, not some B-grade guy you're bored with - or descend into being a directionless rabble and get PPs. Frankly neither of those appeals to me all that much, but others might disagree. If someone we value wants out, I'm more confident of Brady getting something decent back than Joyces. You want to blow up a list that's already been blown up literally 6 months ago.

We're just different kinds of footy fans, Arj. I'll happily go to the VFL, AFLW, ammos at Brunswick Street, Saturday night games at the Bill Lawry oval, stop and watch any random game I'm walking past. I like footy. Footy's good.

May have been mentioned already, but just want to reiterate how great Bonar has been so far this season. Has been an absolute defensive beast, and has to be one of if not the most improved players at the club this year considering where he's started from when he first got here.

There was a moment yesterday where the ball was kicked to a contest towards Geelongs front half, got out the back where Dangerfield was running onto it and you could almost hear the collective cats nuffies about to explode thinking he was about to burst away and kick a goal from 50. When I saw our boy Bonar was the player beside him I automatically thought "they don't know what's about to happen" and sure enough Bonar not only matched one of if not the fastest straight line players in the game for speed (granted it was only over a short distance), but matched Danger for strength as well and managed to shut down the threat in its tracks.

He's basically our new spud Firrito with better athleticism and probably a better kick as well. Very impressive and fingers crossed he gets a long uninterrupted go at it this season and beyond!
There was a time during the game where something went against him and you could see he was so annoyed with himself. Clearly means a lot to him and so great to see that attitude in such a young player.

rooboy335

All Australian
Dec 15, 2005
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There was a time during the game where something went against him and you could see he was so annoyed with himself. Clearly means a lot to him and so great to see that attitude in such a young player.

Always a good sign to see, that hurt and desire to want to be better. That attitude will only lift his standards and those around him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be unhappy with those changes. Also agree that it would be good to give Phillips 2 to 4 weeks in the VFL to build his tank and confidence. If he can come back into the side after one or two games of 25 plus touches then I think we will see him really kick up a gear.

That would give us the following team:

FB: Atu McKay Bonar
HB: Atley Walker Ziebell
C: Powell LDU Simpkin
HF: Garner Campbell Stephenson
FF: Thomas Larkey Zurhaar
F: Goldstein Cunnington Turner
I: Scott Taylor Phillips Young

We have players like Tarrant, Corr, McDonald, Anderson, Dumont and Polec who would be a walk up start in our best team, there are six guys who do not have a strong hold on spots in the side atm.

DuckCarey18

Draftee
Dec 10, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm not sure it's helpful to the development of this side to be playing Turner as a negative midfielder on someone like Joel Selwood.

It eats into valuable mid time for a guy like Will Phillips who then has to play out of position at the highest level. Something he has rarely done in his juniors. Id like to not shoot his confidence like we did with LDU early on.

By all means have a 'tagging' type midfielder...but I don't see why it can't be Phillips (for argument sake). He would then have a defined role. Just feels like we are forcing a spot for Turner.

I know I am from the old school but how many players from Geelong have long hair, head band or man bun.
Stanley, De koning, Henderson, Guthrie, miers, Henry, Stewart, blicavs.

Probably sums up why they will never succeed

Last edited:

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Think we need to hold our time with the likes of Hayden, Mahony, Thomas, Scott.

S**t 2020, 3rd coach in 2 years, no Tarrant, Ben10, Anderson around them to learn from. Being asked to do alot for little reward ( i.e. wins )

A win would be the best thing. How many have actually played in one ?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Think we need to hold our time with the likes of Hayden, Mahony, Thomas, Scott.

sh*t 2020, 3rd coach in 2 years, no Tarrant, Ben10, Anderson around them to learn from. Being asked to do alot for little reward ( i.e. wins )

A win would be the best thing. How many have actually played in one ?

Completely agree. Last year they didn't have the benefit of the VFL to develop in even if we had senior players to play ahead of them!

We've potted our development of players in the past, but quite frankly between the forced shitheap for the league that was 2020, 3 coaching regimes in 3 years, and healthy players constantly going out with 3 month injuries... Our development prospects are worse than at any time under Scott or Laidley. They will improve from here, but we're at ground zero of a rebuild that's been made harder by the turbulence of the last 2 years.

Kangaroos techno

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surely Hayden has to go as well. He has been a complete non-event this season and with the few possessions he does get he is prone to butchering it. I would also look at dropping Lazarro as well and Phillips gets another game but needs a step up in output. Charlie does good things when he does get it but has just played his 3rd game in a row where he has had 7 or fewer touches.
I'm just looking at who can come in. Cupboard is bare to be honest. Not sure where Corr is at. I would drop Lazarro and Kyron but I'm not sure who we could bring in. Maybe menadue and walker?

Jul 6, 2006
Hong Kong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just watched a few of Atley's turnstile tackles from the school of Macmillan. No point being fast if you are going to run past the person you are supposed to tackle and then flail your arms about like an inflatable at a used car lot.

On those efforts alone he should be sent back to the twos. I'd rather keep Hayden, Bonar and Atu back there than having a player that the opposition know they can run straight through. Seniority keeps you in the team if you are
A) doing your job
or
B) have won a Norm , Brownlow, Syd or Coleman in the last 12 months. After that, no free passes.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Think we are harsh on Hayden, still needs a little more time.

Aiden Bonars best game for the club. Thought he was great.

We miss Mcdonald so much.

Hayden is playing very poorly and his disposal is putrid. There is nothing wrong with pointing that out. There is also nothing wrong with him going back to the VFL to work on his game rather than, as many are suggesting on here, moving the magnets around to try and find a position for him. That is not the end for any player but an opportunity to address his issues.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just watched a few of Atley's turnstile tackles from the school of Macmillan. No point being fast if you are going to run past the person you are supposed to tackle and then flail your arms about like an inflatable at a used car lot.

On those efforts alone he should be sent back to the twos. I'd rather keep Hayden, Bonar and Atu back there than having a player that the opposition know they can run straight through. Seniority keeps you in the team if you are
A) doing your job
or
B) have won a Norm , Brownlow, Syd or Coleman in the last 12 months. After that, no free passes.

Ideally, neither of them is in the senior team but Atley does get the ball and hit a reasonable number of targets. All Hayden is producing is 7 possessions for 3 or 4 turnovers and the odd tackle.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm just looking at who can come in. Cupboard is bare to be honest. Not sure where Corr is at. I would drop Lazarro and Kyron but I'm not sure who we could bring in. Maybe menadue and walker?

Well LDU and Zurhaar come back in, Taylor gets upgraded to the 22, Garner comes in, and you pick the least worst option for injury sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back