Autopsy Autopsy vs Geelong - Round 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideally, neither of them is in the senior team but Atley does get the ball and hit a reasonable number of targets. All Hayden is producing is 7 possessions for 3 or 4 turnovers and the odd tackle.

He has flaws. Some great moments (particularly 1 on 1 and with... less time to overthink) mixed with some average stuff. Currently though, is fit, plays 80%+ TOG and doesn't get injured every five minutes. Over time we'll shuffle around him and he'll be closer and closer to fringe 22. Alternatively we'll get a FA / trade offer that is too good to refuse but at the moment he's kind of the least of our worries.

He has flaws. Some great moments (particularly 1 on 1 and with... less time to overthink) mixed with some average stuff. Currently though, is fit, plays 80%+ TOG and doesn't get injured every five minutes. Over time we'll shuffle around him and he'll be closer and closer to fringe 22. Alternatively, we'll get a FA / trade offer that is too good to refuse but at the moment he's kind of the least of our worries.

That was kind of my point. Atley is far less of a concern than Hayden who is currently a liability was the point I was making.

That was kind of my point. Atley is far less of a concern than Hayden who is currently a liability was the point I was making.

Well, not Kyron alone but yeah, essentially I agree. Hayden has missed quite a bit of footy and been under 3 coaches for less than a handful of games. I'll give him some time and he's a fit body. Personally - as I stated elsewhere - with his tank, physicality and skillset I think a defensive mid role, in competition with Turner if need be is still his most likely spot.

I just wish he would learn to tackle properly. I'm not hating on Atley but as a senior player you can't go out there and have a complete lack of tackling technique. It sets a horrible example for the youngsters coming through.

Well, not Kyron alone but yeah, essentially I agree. Hayden has missed quite a bit of footy and been under 3 coaches for less than a handful of games. I'll give him some time and he's a fit body. Personally - as I stated elsewhere - with his tank, physicality and skillset I think a defensive mid role, in competition with Turner if need be is still his most likely spot.

I kind of agree with that. Longer-term I think his strength and physicality probably give him the edge over Turner for the role but also think we have other options in the team who could do a tagging job on a needs basis but offer more in other roles than either Hayden or Turner.

Just watched a few of Atley's turnstile tackles from the school of Macmillan. No point being fast if you are going to run past the person you are supposed to tackle and then flail your arms about like an inflatable at a used car lot.

On those efforts alone he should be sent back to the twos. I'd rather keep Hayden, Bonar and Atu back there than having a player that the opposition know they can run straight through. Seniority keeps you in the team if you are
A) doing your job
or
B) have won a Norm , Brownlow, Syd or Coleman in the last 12 months. After that, no free passes.

Atley was named in the bests, had 24 touches including 3 score involvements from the back half. Some people let their opinions get in the way of the facts.

Atley was named in the bests, had 24 touches including 3 score involvements from the back half. Some people let their opinions get in the way of the facts.
Thought his second half was okay after a pretty underwhelming first half. I suspect him being named in the best was a function of stat watchers picking the players. Cunners, Jy, McKay, Bonar, and a few others had better games than him.

Iam far from his biggest fanboy but he was ok . the missed goal was annoying but he featured in few of the better passages of play. Happy for him to play the year out at this level rather than what was served up a few weeks back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought his second half was okay after a pretty underwhelming first half. I suspect him being named in the best was a function of stat watchers picking the players. Cunners, Jy, McKay, Bonar, and a few others had better games than him.

Absolutely shocking that McKay wasn't named in the bests.

Other than that, Atley was pretty good over those 24 disposals. He should have kicked that goal on the run but he was strong in plenty of contests.

I don't expect him to be an AFL Superstar, I expect him to be a reliable back pocket who controls his opponent and wins his fair share of contests. Every player has poor moments. 24 touches at 62% is pretty decent playing in a position where the pressure is always on.

Noble said he'll be back next week.

Yeah, my view was based more on that than any overwhelming evidence that he should come straight back in. Hopefully a year from now our list has both the depth and health that it would be unlikely Zurhaar would come straight back in based on similar output. At the moment just not enough competition for spots across the field.

Geelong are basically us in 2016. Old mob on their last legs and are in for a lot of pain.
They will get Cameron back this week, but you are right, they aren't looking great. A bit more polish with the finishing and a lesser injury list, and we would have put them under a fair bit more pressure.

Why does Zurhaar come back in. He doesn’t deserve a spot presently.
I was sitting behind the goals last night and looked at a forward line including Phillips, Powell, Lazarro and Campbell at one stage and decided that there was no way we would kick a winning score. It will at least look like a forward line next week if Garner and Zurhaar come in

I was sitting behind the goals last night and looked at a forward line including Phillips, Powell, Lazarro and Campbell at one stage and decided that there was no way we would kick a winning score. It will at least look like a forward line next week if Garner and Zurhaar come in

Lucky to kick any score......

Well LDU and Zurhaar come back in, Taylor gets upgraded to the 22, Garner comes in, and you pick the least worst option for injury sub.
I assumed kyron would take hall's spot. No one you listed can play in the backline like kyron can. We lack fit defenders so kyron might be saved this week.

I assumed kyron would take hall's spot. No one you listed can play in the backline like kyron can. We lack fit defenders so kyron might be saved this week.
Kyron can't play in the backline. Makes appalling turnovers that give away soft goals. McKay, Bonar, Atley, Jack, Young, and Walker can be the back 6. We have seen TT and Zurhaar go behind the ball and look okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back