Autopsy Autopsy vs Geelong - Round 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think KTs numbers for CBAs are a bit inflated due to tagging Joel Selwood and following him in there? More of a role thing, more than anything else, and one that he executed really well I reckon.

North fans: WE NEED A TAGGER

Nobes: OK, no worries, you're going to love all the CBAs Turner gets.

North fans: NOT LIKE THAT

May have been mentioned already, but just want to reiterate how great Bonar has been so far this season. Has been an absolute defensive beast, and has to be one of if not the most improved players at the club this year considering where he's started from when he first got here.

There was a moment yesterday where the ball was kicked to a contest towards Geelongs front half, got out the back where Dangerfield was running onto it and you could almost hear the collective cats nuffies about to explode thinking he was about to burst away and kick a goal from 50. When I saw our boy Bonar was the player beside him I automatically thought "they don't know what's about to happen" and sure enough Bonar not only matched one of if not the fastest straight line players in the game for speed (granted it was only over a short distance), but matched Danger for strength as well and managed to shut down the threat in its tracks.

He's basically our new spud Firrito with better athleticism and probably a better kick as well. Very impressive and fingers crossed he gets a long uninterrupted go at it this season and beyond!

Did the danger injury come from the north bloke smashing him? Which player was it. Nice hit.

Cheers.

Did the danger injury come from the north bloke smashing him? Which player was it. Nice hit.

Cheers.

It was Kyron Hayden. Good hit but not great defence. He left his man to do it leaving him open 35 metres out directly in front. Danger just had to make the handball and it was a zero pressure shot at goal.

It was Kyron Hayden. Good hit but not great defence. He left his man to do it leaving him open 35 metres out directly in front. Danger just had to make the handball and it was a zero pressure shot at goal.
Borderline situation I think. If Danger had juggled the ball while picking it up or didn't get it off instantly then Kyron would be lauded for the decision.

Borderline situation I think. If Danger had juggled the ball while picking it up or didn't get it off instantly then Kyron would be lauded for the decision.

If Kyron stays hard on his man then Danger doesn't have a clear option, hesitates, and gets nailed by Bonar. Holding the ball. Free kick North instead of an easy goal to Cats.
We had a two on two and Hayden didn't trust his teammates to get the job done and created an open player in a dangerous position for the Cats.

If Kyron stays hard on his man then Danger doesn't have a clear option, hesitates, and gets nailed by Bonar. Holding the ball. Free kick North instead of an easy goal to Cats.
We had a two on two and Hayden didn't trust his teammates to get the job done and created an open player in a dangerous position for the Cats.
His teammates didn't get the job done, and Miers was peeling off to the side which would have put Kyron in a 2v1.

It's all hypothetical and in hindsight of the events that unfolded, so I'm not really keen to discuss it further, I just don't think it was an awful decision considering he was a bees dick away from impacting the disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty harsh on a split second decision to stay or go. If he stayed and they won it anyway he would be smashed on here for hesitating. Its a tough caper these young fellas do

If that defense was better organised then Atu and Jack would be chasing flat out after Miers and Rohan, trusting Hayden to nail Dangerfield. I reckon Bonar is trying to get past the collision and chase down Rohan cos he's aware of what Hayden is doing.

We bang on about how much they've shown but also - all four of them are converging on Dangerfield. None of them has played 20 games in defence. Its possible that Taz, Lmac or even Corr would have organised them better and if they play one or two seasons together that sort of thing won't happen as often, if at all. They've barely had time to learn their own games let alone each others. Its worth using Hayden to crunch players in defence like that. Its legal and is draining over a game.

Pretty harsh on a split second decision to stay or go. If he stayed and they won it anyway he would be smashed on here for hesitating. Its a tough caper these young fellas do

It might be harsh but it is true. Hayden keeps his width and locks down on Rohan then Geelong has a much more difficult next move. We've seen similar examples over the past couple of years where Turner has switched into defence and was marking Ablett. Turner got sucked into the contest while Ablett stayed out got the handball receive and goaled. There was another similar example where Tippungwuti did the same and we lost a very tight match.

Honestly in that situation pressure does need to come from somewhere fast. Hayden goes for him quickly so the disposal is not clean and there could be a chance it wouldn't be a handball receive (danger was stinking it up all night and Hayden could potentially smother the ball).

Unfortunately, it doesn't work, but it is not entirely his fault when our players weren't better positioned to stop the handball.

It might be harsh but it is true. Hayden keeps his width and locks down on Rohan then Geelong has a much more difficult next move. We've seen similar examples over the past couple of years where Turner has switched into defence and was marking Ablett. Turner got sucked into the contest while Ablett stayed out got the handball receive and goaled. There was another similar example where Tippungwuti did the same and we lost a very tight match.

Again, there is so many things that players get hung on around here, a young kid making the line ball call to make contact isnt one of them. Its so easy from the cheap seats, if hayden did this or did that, its not chess. Out of interest, how many times have you watched it? Maybe a couple times or more? Hayden saw it once and made the decision to go. Yep, it happens, thats the nature of game and people round here forget that sometimes. Things will happen, goals will be kicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back