Review Autopsy vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

He was definitely important and he played generally well. It's just those howlers he does that have the potential too, and often do hurt us. We got away with it tonight

There is a reason why opposition clubs never tag Boyd even though he gets lots of possessions - simply he turns so many over they do need to.

we just got sucked into kicking long because we knew we had the breeze in the 2nd. In the 4th quarter we showed that we'd learnt from it and used some of the method we had when we were kicking to the other end. Leading hard, honoring leads, sucking up the +1

Right, my weekly 3 volume dissatation.

I love this team, and I don't say that lightly.

I was so surprised how good we were. GC were tired, so what? They were outplayed, especially in the last quarter.

The best player was clearly Macrae 43 and 2 will get that most weeks :). He is a top shelf, A grade, bona fide star. Lock him up on a 55 year contract now. He kicks softly, but he is silk, he never gets tackled and he kicked well for goal. Jesus - he is Jesus.

Bontempelli wasn't as dominant, but he is also a star. He, Macrae and Libba are going to lead the best midfield going around in a few years. David King, at the start of the season, said he predicted our mids would prove themselves to be the best group in the comp by the end of the year. I think he might have thought about that a bit earlier, but there is no great emerging mid group as them. Bugger me they are good.

Hunter is silk (I've said all along he's the next Dal Santo), Hrovat has more footy smarts in his little finger than most of the comp have in their whole body (but he did bugger up a few kicks tonight), Honeychurch has a real dip and that's the first thing you ask for.

Stringer, oh Stringer. I asked last night could he be our Taylor Walker? He might be better! He has more strings to his bow, he's hard to tackle, as strong as an ox and just gets footy. I said during the week he could be the best of the lot and he certainly has the most x factor about him. He literally could be anything at 6'4" and 100kgs soon.

Minson was terrific tonight. I know he did some things wrong, but how many ruckmen do you know that can ruck as well at the start as at the end of the game? He's not the best ruckman, he's not the most talented, but he's the most competitive, lionhearted player you would ever wish to see.

Murphy was terrific, just terrific tonight. He's had his haters lately, but his drive off half back was unbelievable and his evasiveness was crucial. 3rd best on for me behind Macrae and D. Aylight.

Morris competed so well, I thought he was in for a tough night early and he made some awful decisions when deciding to kick and not handball, but he's as brave as they come.

Easton Wood. I'm the first to admit I was sceptical at the start of the year that we wouldn't see the best of him, but he is playing some seriously good footy. He can run, he doesn't go to ground, he's brave, can mark and play tall and short. Yes please, keep playing in my team!

Sam Darley can kick it and is athletic, but one on one he was turned far too easily. But he is a part of our future as a wingman or rebounding half back.

Roughead, I maintain, will be a star full back. And he will. He cares and he's very good one on one.

Johannisen: His run was very important. He played well. He still made some poor decisions, but he did well. All credit to him for launching small amounts of egg at my face.

Big Jack Redpath: I'll admit, I'm warming to him. He still turns like a bus, he's not much chop below his knees and he's not a ruckman's backside, but his hands are good, he competes and he doesn't mind hurting people - all good traits in a FF. Wouldn't mind seeing Jones next to him though.

Finally, Mitch Wallis. THERE ARE FAR TOO MANY HATERS HERE ON BF. My argument is he is disciplined, smart, tough and concentrates very well. He is going to be so important in the fufutre and he plays like it means something to him. He is a very, very underrated member of the club. Prestia did 2 parts of f*ck all tonight. Well done Mitch.
Well said.

Hunter took a very, very are hit during the game too.

Better chat to his manager then as isn't he sniffing around for other deals as a restricted free agent?

Given his injuries and return over the years as well as his current (poor) form I'm not as convinced on his importance.

Murthy on the other hand is much more vital to our setup and structure. However he isn't getting younger either

Higgins played well for Footscray as you would hope he would given he was dropped. But I dont think he did enough to get back in, and who goes out for him anyway. Smith on the other had was best on ground.

we just got sucked into kicking long because we knew we had the breeze in the 2nd. In the 4th quarter we showed that we'd learnt from it and used some of the method we had when we were kicking to the other end. Leading hard, honoring leads, sucking up the +1

Yes we learnt on one off the field but there was no breeze - it died during the 3rd quarter - watch the flags behind the goals at each end.

I thought our first 1/4 was possibly the best we have played under Macca? The kids are stepping up more each week. We smashed them statistically not unusual in itself we do that more often than not, but brought some real dash and dare which complimented the hard inside work of Wallis and Laiberatore.

Impressed by so many players but I thought JJ did what we know he can, but even more so as his use was almost faultless.

Redpath didn't star but we saw a little more this week than last. We saw him kick a very nice set shot against the wind. Glad we are giving him an extended run at it.

Macrae....wow what can you say really.

Possibly Stringers best game.

Apparently we only won because Ablett wasn't playing :mad:. Looks like the Suns won't be winning again this season.
Lol well you had to expect that would be the media take. Frustrating I know but predictable. Be worse if we lost, then it would be, we can't beat them even without Ablett, and how good are there kids lol.

So many things to love.

Eventually, Lynch and the other haters will have to give us some credit for goals rather than blaming opposition errors.

Lynch has always hated us, remember the choke gesture in the final up against the Lions in 99? But, he's a rubbish commentator anyway and adds nothing.

Matt Campbell has the same Lions-induced hatred of us. How he can work for Sportsbet and call footy is beyond me. Guess it shows how betting companies have the AFL by the balls.

Forget today's media analysis, they've been spunking their sheets over Ablett and the 'will he or won't he win the Brownlow' and today, we all know what the angle will be.

Forget the fact Griff was out, that doesn't fit the narrative as Gerard Whateley would say.

Last edited:
Apparently we only won because Ablett wasn't playing :mad:. Looks like the Suns won't be winning again this season.
No you won because you were the better team and wanted it more. Just loved your aggressive, effective tackling in close, it was absolutely relentless. Libba, Wallis, Hunter etc. - top shelf breeding program you have down in the kennel.

What a game! Could very well be the same two core of players facing off in a Grand Final in a few years. Every reason to be just as (more even) excited about our kids than the Suns.

Macrae could well be a once in a generation player that just totally dominates - as could Bonts and Stringer (although that would be three in a generation ha ha :drunk:). Hearing Macrae talk after the game and own his deficiencies and wear the criticism on the chin showed real class too

JJ was great most of the game too which was great to see. Hunter looks a star. Dahl and Libba already stars. Wood and Murphy were fantastic too.

:footy::rainbow:

There is a reason why opposition clubs never tag Boyd even though he gets lots of possessions - simply he turns so many over they do need to.
He was tagged many times during our prelim finals run, teams were always unsure who to tag from our midfield back then.

Fox Footy spent the whole review commenting how a young team tires. How last week was a big week etc etc etc. No mention of the young team that had a 5 1/2 day break after playing in the mud last week missing their captain and their brownlow medallist that just whooped them. That would be the youngest team we had in all season. What do we need to do to gain the respect of the media?

We don't need their respect, we just need to 'stick it up em' (thank you EJ - we miss you)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched Jackson Macrea's highlights and post game interview with Baz. I love the kid. How good has our recruiting been over the past three drafts?

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2014-07-12/showreel-macraes-monster-half
it's been pretty bold. We've taken risks with all of our high picks and we've made common sense calls with a lot of the lower picks. Macca expressed in the presser the importance of nailing some of our late picks and it's not hard to see why it's such a key to a rebuild.

Over time we need to reduce the worth of GC and GWS first rounders by maximising the worth of our low picks like Dahl, JJ, Honey and Campbell. Glad we got a little bit of help with Libba, Wally and Hunter though too

Has Jack Martin got anything that Bonts doesn't? I see Bonts as a bit better in most areas. Maybe I'm biased :p
probably quicker. But can't hold down a key forward spot so minus 1 there

Great result yesterday guys, and you'll be witnessing many more like it in the next few years.

I've read plenty of this board doubting Macca's ability as coach, but as a few can attest to in here, I'm his biggest fan.

Keep the faith, you're on the road to building a list capable of achieving a period of success, and in saying that, I've never been more confident.

Recruit or develop a power goal kicking forward and it'll happen fairly soon.

All the best.

He was tagged many times during our prelim finals run, teams were always unsure who to tag from our midfield back then.

And in recent times? He is far from efficient in his ball usage. Gets it a lot but is very wasteful

Higgins played well for Footscray as you would hope he would given he was dropped. But I dont think he did enough to get back in, and who goes out for him anyway. Smith on the other had was best on ground.
Did you go?

I didn't (to VFL) but friends there thought he was average at best. They agree with you on not enough to be promoted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back