Autopsy Autopsy vs GWS - Round 13, 2021 - a draw

Remove this Banner Ad

Context is everything, so understanding we’re coming from a low base on a journey mapped out over 3-5 seasons this game showed us the awesome potential we have within this group. Clearly our fitness is an issue that Noble and his team have identified but we can’t put any real work into that until the preseason (hopefully we go to puckapunyal and not Utah) secondly our basic skills will be addressed by axing the guys that are never going to improve and bringing in players with existing AFL ready skills. Umpiring? Yeah nah yeah and meh.... It shouldn’t ever be the case however I think north will always have to factor into our playbook that the umps will be a negative so focus on discipline so as not to give them the opportunity to award 50’s to the opposition. In this context today’s draw is a big loss for Gi Ants and a big step forward for North 👍

Mrs Gaso walks in clueless about the footy in general.

Points out Hall. …”he looks good “

Can’t kick, handball

Points out Simpkin…”he looks good “

Can’t kick straight

“Did he just kick out of bounds?”

Yep

Siren has gone he might kick this

Nup

At least you didn’t lose

Yep
Verbatim at mine!

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

A player fisting the ball away from behind to prevent a player from taking possession has never been penalised as deliberate. The only time I have seen it paid is if the defender is in front and spoils to the line.

You might want to watch more footy. It was textbook to stop Greene from taking possession. The rule is insufficient intent to keep the ball in, we aren’t playing last touched.

You are being deliberately obtuse. As soon as the ball went out of bounds, I knew that Kayne was in trouble. And I never defend umpires.

A draw is always bittersweet, a perfect illustration of how umpiring can influence a result.

Plenty of things to work on, Ball security should be near the top of the list.

Good to get Taz back, but i think his presence completely threw BMac off his previous good form.

Garner did not look good having to be assisted off the ground :'(

You are being deliberately obtuse. As soon as the ball went out of bounds, I knew that Kayne was in trouble. And I never defend umpires.
You knew he was in trouble because you knew that the umpire was gagging for an excuse to give GWS the ball, not because the decision was correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Context is everything, so understanding we’re coming from a low base on a journey mapped out over 3-5 seasons this game showed us the awesome potential we have within this group. Clearly our fitness is an issue that Noble and his team have identified but we can’t put any real work into that until the preseason (hopefully we go to puckapunyal and not Utah) secondly our basic skills will be addressed by axing the guys that are never going to improve and bringing in players with existing AFL ready skills. Umpiring? Yeah nah yeah and meh.... It shouldn’t ever be the case however I think north will always have to factor into our playbook that the umps will be a negative so focus on discipline so as not to give them the opportunity to award 50’s to the opposition. In this context today’s draw is a big loss for Gi Ants and a big step forward for North 👍
I remember years ago Stink Kilda came to Pucka, big Tony pretty much stayed in the bar and played pool. Brett Bowey got pissed off that I kept telling people he was Brent Bowey. I remember Jimmy Krakouer was there, Loewe I think and the bloke who transferred in from Melbourne ... I forget his name. Maxxy Walker and Lou Richards were there too, big Maxxy wrecked the channel 9 falcon, so legend has it. Nothing better than traipsing up and down Mt. Puckapunyal carrying a 20 litre jerry can of water as part of your preseason.

Unless I've got the rules wrong it only counts as a spoil if the ball is 'on the full'. Once it's hit the deck and can no longer count as a mark then if you deliberately hit it out with your fist it's just the same as if you handballed it over the line.

I know the line about 'it's a tough game to umpire', blah blah, but seriously, are the umpiring standards the worst in living memory? the current group are either show ponies (yes Ray, that's you) or have no feel whatever for the game. On top of general incompetence, you have an 'umpires department' that change the rules every week. Drives me nuts (and Trent Dumont too I suspect)

Umpiring at VFL level seems more consistent and accurate, questions should be asked why getting umpiring correct at AFL is far behind the average VFL game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

mate we've done fu** all to be frank. Absolutely pathetic when it came to preparing professional athletes. Noble was mortified or maybe he wasn't. As I said time will reveal all.
Sounds like the time Martin Jol was in charge at Spurs, mid noughties. Reportedly, the new team went in to find lunch buffets for the players with pizza and chips etc. everyday.

The starting squad lost something like 30kg collectively in the first month of the new team changing things up.

I remember being flabbergasted at the time that the players couldn't take responsibility to eat better and/or didn't have the knowledge this was not a professional level diet.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unless I've got the rules wrong it only counts as a spoil if the ball is 'on the full'. Once it's hit the deck and can no longer count as a mark then if you deliberately hit it out with your fist it's just the same as if you handballed it over the line.
The umpire has to deem he is deliberately trying to hit it out of bounds.

I would argue he is trying to hit it to prevent Greene from taking possession. The ball going out of bounds is a result of him spoiling Greene from taking possession, not him looking to get it out of bounds. Under the AFL’s interpretation the only choice Turner has it to let Greene take possession, because the could only go in that direction.

It was an umpire gagging to give GWS the ball, pure and simple. I’ve seen players do the exact same thing millions of times and never be penalised.

He is competing for the ball, not trying to deliberately trying to fist it over the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back