Review Autopsy vs Melb

Remove this Banner Ad

We in no way held our nerve. We didnt kill the game, we gave up the shot. Everything that we could do to lose, we did.
You mean Atkins did that.....??? If he took 1 of those 2 drop marks he would have killed the game and 1 meter kick from defensive 50, we need to work on our kick ins as well.

Because Jones disposed of the ball and it went to a teammate so it wasnt counted as a tackle as it didn't effect the play.

You only get a tackle stat if the ball is held up or knocked out in the tackle
Sounds like they need a tackle and effective tackle stat.
Otherwise it looks like no effort from a player.

Still don't really know what to make of that.

Coming off two losses with season on the line against a lowly ranked opponent and we dish up perhaps the most inept, spiritless defensive display I can remember seeing from a Crows team in the first half

Absolutely devoid of any intensity whatsoever. Looked as though we didn't care. Loose player after loose player, walking it out from clearances unpressured, no numbers getting to the contest or helping out in defence.

Then a 9 goal to 3 second half to win it where there were quite a few positives.

A sign of life? Or just delaying the inevitable?
We aren't contenders. But the last three weeks tell me we are in the mix below the real contenders.

I personally think with that in mind we need to persist in playing Milera in the middle with Jones/McHenry getting some games.

From what I saw yesterday in the SANFL those three with the Crouch brothers and Carlton's pick this year is our midfield for the 2021-2025 period.

Ong with RoB

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Upon watching the replay:

Amazing what happens when you kick straight. We didn't deserve to win that. Smashed in the air again and Melbourne were pretty much able to play the game on their terms.

Lynch outstanding again. He'll win our B&F if he keeps playing like that.

Crouch was not far behind Lynch. So important that our mids can hit the scoreboard.

Our backline was ****ing deplorable. Defenders constantly 10m behind their opponents. The midfield pressure was weak, but there's no excuse for being so far behind your direct opponent. Keath hasn't looked the same since that Hartigan collision. Brown also looks a step off the pace atm, while Mackay added nothing. What the hell is Mattner doing?

Seedsman is really struggling physically. Can't get the full extension in his stride and only looks to be going at 70%. Does he need some more time on the sidelines?

Gallucci was good in patches. Really uses the ball well in the forward half - lowers his eyes. 84% DE and three goal assists is a nice return.

Atkins is playing like garbage. Too slow mentally and happy to put team mates under pressure. Dropped marks and missed targets. Smith gave him a bake a couple of times. Must be close to being dropped.

Gibbs did a great job on Oliver. Keep him in the side to play this role.

Jenkins was handy. Just needs to start converting.

ROB looks like he needs a break. I don't want Jacobs back though, so not sure what we do there.

Coming off two losses with season on the line against a lowly ranked opponent and we dish up perhaps the most inept, spiritless defensive display I can remember seeing from a Crows team in the first half

Absolutely devoid of any intensity whatsoever. Looked as though we didn't care. Loose player after loose player, walking it out from clearances unpressured, no numbers getting to the contest or helping out in defence.

Then a 9 goal to 3 second half to win it where there were quite a few positives.

Good post.

Im not sure if the Crows won or Melbourne lost?

When Melbourne had 3 sets for goal inside 50m into time on you should be nailing at least one of them.

Brouch to his credit nailed a clutch goal.

That was the difference in the last 5 minutes or so.

To hang in there and get a win on an off night I found a hugely positive sign.
You’re right though, a lot to work on especially in the middle, didn’t like Melbourne walking it from there into their forward line.
Saying that, two home games coming up, if we can head into our bye at 8-5 it’s season on IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sides with a bit of leg speed across the ground always come fast out of the blocks against us. Melbourne were using speed and overlaps effectively early. They were unable to keep that up through the 2nd half and that's when we got on top--our big-bodied mids started to get more than their share. O'Brien's game was crucial. While Big Max had an effect on the game with his work around the ground in my view O'Brien broke even in the ruck. He was particularly effective at stoppages. And hey, backs, when kicking out playing the Ds, don't kick where Gawn is standing.
We need to slow games down early to stop teams getting 1st quarter run-ons.

Was it a great win. No
Did Pyke celebrate it. No

Did Melbourne choke. Yes.

The big lesson from that game is that our player know that you never give in and take the sniff of opportunity the other team gives you. WCE did just that to us. We nearly did it against the Lions.

The comp is pretty even in the 3rd to 10th range (Geelong and maybe GWS the clear best two teams) a lot of wins come down to momentum changes and mistakes by the other team. It happens.

Good teams take the advantages given to them. We still had to kick the goals and generate play to win. We also had to hold our nerve.

You cant win every week playing champagne footy dominating teams.

It was a good win.

Simon doesn't agree.

FFS what are these? Coins? lol

62080019.jpg
Would still get a game.

We aren't contenders. But the last three weeks tell me we are in the mix below the real contenders.

I personally think with that in mind we need to persist in playing Milera in the middle with Jones/McHenry getting some games.

From what I saw yesterday in the SANFL those three with the Crouch brothers and Carlton's pick this year is our midfield for the 2021-2025 period.

Ong with RoB

Respectfully disagree.

Are Collingwood a contender? They lost to Freo yesterday, against whom we ground out an excellent win.

Melb were 12 points up v WCE in Perth but gave up 6 goals in the last - similar to last night. They also kicked the last 7 straight last week.

D’s are still good enough to be streaky.

I’d argue we are better placed than 2017 because we have finally learned to grind out wins against decent oppo when the game’s not on our terms.

Our win v Freo and our 1pt loss to Bris away are very underestimated performances. Both those teams will push top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sides with a bit of leg speed across the ground always come fast out of the blocks against us. Melbourne were using speed and overlaps effectively early. They were unable to keep that up through the 2nd half and that's when we got on top--our big-bodied mids started to get more than their share. O'Brien's game was crucial. While Big Max had an effect on the game with his work around the ground in my view O'Brien broke even in the ruck. He was particularly effective at stoppages. And hey, backs, when kicking out playing the Ds, don't kick where Gawn is standing.
We need to slow games down early to stop teams getting 1st quarter run-ons.
Melbourne are a slow team, they looked fast because they were moving the ball to loose players and with hand-ball receives. We had dish up another North game where we didn't even try to put defensive pressure on the opposition. Luckily when we had the ball, our attack and run was still there and managed to kick straight with the limited opportunity that kept us in the game.
Agree on O'Brien, Gawn started the game by over leaping him to dominate but he absorb that and fought back and was actually playing a lot better than Gawn as the game went on.

Respectfully disagree.

Are Collingwood a contender? They lost to Freo yesterday, against whom we ground out an excellent win.

Melb were 12 points up v WCE in Perth but gave up 6 goals in the last - similar to last night. They also kicked the last 7 straight last week.

I’d argue we are better placed than 2017 because we have finally learned to grind out wins against decent oppo when the game’s not on our terms.

Our win v Freo and our 1pt loss to Bris away are very underestimated performances. Both those teams will push top 4.
Michael Walters. Twice in 2 weeks with match winner. Freak.

Significant turnaround compared to last years result....but that doesn't mean we played well in fact I believe that Melb lost the game rather than us winning it.

One player that got the ball OK but then stuffed up his disposals was Atkins. I have been anti Atkins for nearly two years now and I feel that he needs to be moved on. The other player that I didnt see much of was MacKay. The man has some speed and I have seen him in other games (when he has room and time) to kick the ball beautifully. I am not sure what the coaches see in this guy but there must be something that he does that justifies his ongoing selection.

If we bring this level of play to meet the Giants next week then we will be 6&6.

So Sloane will be injured and hopefully Mrouch comes back but I would also like to see McHenry play and whether we like it or not given Jacobs played well in the SANFL he might be another inclusion.

Respectfully disagree.

I see us in that mix. But right now think Geelong and GWS the only stand outs. GWS away from home are somewhat dubious.

Our last four weeks tells me we shouldn't throw this season away though and do what we can to keep touch with the best. You never know what can happen.

I see us in that mix. But right now think Geelong and GWS the only stand outs. GWS away from home are somewhat dubious.

Our last four weeks tells me we shouldn't throw this season away though and do what we can to keep touch with the best. You never know what can happen.

Injuries and playing teams at the right time is our best chance of doing damage in September.

I still dont think our forwardline is functioning a well as it could to compete with teams like the Cats, Pies, Giants, Tigers and Eagles. Not to mention all those teams would tear our midfield apart.

Respectfully disagree.

We also had a big chance to beat the top team in Geelong as well, I think it's our major difference in our good and bad that most don't see us as real contenders this year (when we are good, we are up there against the top team but when we are bad, we are down there against the bottom team) but even with this major inconsistency, we are certain to be in the top 8 due to our soft draw, can we hit consistent form later in the year....?

True - next 2 weeks tells a story. Need to at least split them.

Quite fancy us against Richmond - Giants not so sure

Respectfully disagree.

Come on Peter, this is schoolyard stuff

Collingwood are flag favourites and Freo beat Collingwood and we beat Freo so we must be flag favourites. Just stuff 11 year olds say.

Are we terrible? No. But we are definitely not contending (yet)

Give me some more grinding wins , give me some more wins when we are expected to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back