Review Autopsy vs Melb

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but what a maginficent CLUTCH GOAL by Brouch late in the 4th quarter that gave us the lead for the game and win for the match.

When you consider the Dees kicked 1.8 and 3 of their players missed set shots with 5 minutes to go. Brouch's coolness under intense heat was great.

His disposal may not be always 100% elite, but that shot for goal, was purely elite. Sure it was a set shot and fairly straight forward but he held his nerve to kick straight. The ball's trajectory was such that the kick was always going for goal.

I actually think he reveled in the pressure that went on to his shoulders after Rory got injured.

That needs to be his benchmark moving forward.

Well yeah, seeing as though they were runners up last year and currently sit in 3rd you would think so.

We've beaten the teams currently sitting in 8th, 9th, 11th, 15th, 16th and 17th. Hardly anything to hang our hat on. We've already lost 3 of our 5 home games and will likely go in underdogs this weekend. I can't see in any shape or form how you could conclude that we are in 'contention' this year?

Because it is only round 10. Plenty more time.

Thats fine, you think the Saints is respected side and we had a quality win against them, thats your opinion.

They had good wins against Carlton, Gold Coast, Essendon, Melbourne and Hawks especially given they came 16th last year. I dont think any of the teams they have beaten will make the 8 but they had good wins nevertheless against most likely bottom 10 teams.
Bottom 10 - that’s a new one.

I guess if we beat 4th then they are a bottom 14 side

I don't think we are contending and our ladder position and win loss ratio is a perfect reflection of where we are at.

Better than the **** teams, behind the really good teams, so ultimately just making up the numbers

+1

Some people talk about the Dogs flag year. But if you look closely at that they had a few things fall their way.

First time an elimination finalist had a week off.

Their 2nd week was "home" in Victoria.

Their 3rd week against the Giants, admittedly a tough game, the Giants lost players early in that game and their first prelim too.

Their 4th Week was against a Non Victorian side at the G.

Still an incredible effort. The Crows would need some assistance to win the flag this year if we land outside the top 4. TBH we are still only touch and go to even make the 8.

I actually think he reveled in the pressure that went on to his shoulders after Rory got injured.

That needs to be his benchmark moving forward.

Credit to the Club, Im sure there was discussion about trading him last year when his value was at an all time low.

There's the top 8, and then the teams that don't make finals, there's 10 of them, underneath that, or you could say a so called 'Bottom 10', novel concept I know...

There's the top 8, and then the teams that don't make finals, there's 10 of them, underneath that, or you could say a so called 'Bottom 10'....
Been following AFL a long time. Never heard the 9th ranked side referred to as a bottom 10 team

There's the top 8, and then the teams that don't make finals, there's 10 of them, underneath that, or you could say a so called 'Bottom 10', novel concept I know...
+1

I should have shown the maths.

There are 18 teams in the AFL. 8 of them play finals. So that leaves 18-8 =10.

You prefer top 8, bottom 8 and the mediocre middle 2? In fact that last one fits us as team perfectly at the moment.
Not quite sure how.

We’re 7th sitting just a game out of a top 4 spot.

Maybe maths isn’t your thing after all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not quite sure how.

We’re 7th sitting just a game out of a top 4 spot.

Maybe maths isn’t your thing after all

Propped up by wins against world beaters like Melbourne, Sydney, St Kilda and Gold Coast.

I look forward to revisiting this in a month after we play actual good teams in the Giants, Richmond and Geelong.

We arent top 4 contenders imo. 6th and a home final is as good as it's gonna get this year. We're no certainties to even make the 8 if we dont start playing better.

Yep my conservative ladder predictor has us 6th at best and 9th at worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets be very clear. Weidemann kicks that goal and this board melts. Nobody is bringing up us beating Freo , nobody is congratulating us on a great fightback.

That is where I am coming from. We were a bees dick away from having our season in tatters and people think we are contenders now.

We might be but I do want to see better than last night

Atkins doesn’t have a couple of brain farts in the last minute and Weidemann doesn’t get that shot at goal.

Not getting into the contending debate, let’s be happy to bank the 4 points away and hopefully keep building towards the back end of the season while giving some younguns a taste.

CXIX

Game style has been horrible the last few weeks and selection, well, Douglas back in next game.
Game style horrible ?? Perhaps but you've gotta play a style with which we can win.

Atkins doesn’t have a couple of brain farts in the last minute and Weidemann doesn’t get that shot at goal.

Not getting into the contending debate, let’s be happy to bank the 4 points away and hopefully keep building towards the back end of the season while giving some younguns a taste.

CXIX
Positive: Was good to win and with grit and a bit of luck - slippery ball.
Other side of the coin: we are middle of the road in the middle of the season with an aging list. They've been a solid group but tough decisions to be made by seasons end.

Respectfully disagree.

Are Collingwood a contender? They lost to Freo yesterday, against whom we ground out an excellent win.

Melb were 12 points up v WCE in Perth but gave up 6 goals in the last - similar to last night. They also kicked the last 7 straight last week.

D’s are still good enough to be streaky.

I’d argue we are better placed than 2017 because we have finally learned to grind out wins against decent oppo when the game’s not on our terms.

Our win v Freo and our 1pt loss to Bris away are very underestimated performances. Both those teams will push top 4.

Our loss against Brisbane isn't underestimated. It's a game a contender wins, an also ran loses. Sure Brisbane are up and coming but a team who believes they're a big time contender, you have to be able to grind out the upstarts even away from home.

It was a bad loss. Nothing more, especially as with our age profile, we have to be a contender now as there is no tomorrow for this core.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back