Autopsy Autopsy vs Melbourne - Round 7, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

i don't think trading brown was the wrong decision, it was the only decision, that or walk him to the PSD. he didn't want to sign. what wasn't very clever was not picking up some guy who can play forward and leaving larkey as the only tall for weeks.
I think it was more the case we didn't want to sign him.... Or yoko

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh boy you think the forward line is the weak link? Mate I've watch a whole halves of footy where we couldn't stop the momentum of the opposition, today we lost because of 6 pathetic goals from not killing the over the line when it was bombed deep in the d50. And our forward line is the issue?

Our delivery inside f50 and allowing teams to waltz out of f50 are our forward line issues -the first isn't even a forward line issues and brown would make our forward defence even worse.

You know who benefits even more from the new game plan and rules....Stevo. and we get an extra 6-8 years with him compared to Brown.

We average 54 points a game.

I can name at least 4 defenders who have been playing good footy, I can name about the same in the midfield. I’d be lucky to name one forward who has been consistently good. Maybe one, Stephenson.

If you think our forward line isn’t the weak link then what games have you been watching?

Good effort from the guys. Just had no run in the legs last qtr.
Surprised at the TT hate. Thought his last two weeks have been good playing bigger midfield minutes, he's gonna be exhausted until he builds a tank and thought he was pressuring/tackling more than earlier in the year. Think he's building nicely. It's taken Petracca 6 years to be able to run out games.
More concerned with Zurhaar's form. Could've given us a huge momentum swing if he kicks that goal.
There's nobody really in the VFL putting good games together imo to deserve selection, only Garner is an option but he's not exactly fully fit.

We average 54 points a game.

I can name at least 4 defenders who have been playing good footy, I can name about the same in the midfield. I’d be lucky to name one forward who has been consistently good. Maybe one, Stephenson.

If you think our forward line isn’t the weak link then what games have you been watching?
The games where our inside f50 is s**t and teams waltz out it out of f50 and transition easily for a whole quarter.

I know can't keep up with your amazing analysis skills of "we average 54 points a game, therefore our forward line is s**t" but in some cases a low score isn't due to a s**t forward line... Like for example we always have significantly less inside 50's... Hint, that means it's the midfield, not the forwards.

He bends his back right over the ball drop, better control and accuracy for the trade off of distance. Thats why he lacks penetration
A bit like Plugger imo.

Without the massive momentum Plugger's large frame generated tho. So perhaps he doesn't have the same range.

For the second week in a row, once the opposition got a bit if a run on, they appeared to just run through our tackles. There were lots of occasions that I thought we had things reasonably under control and expected a ball-up situation. Instead, a Melbourne player would somehow break free and run clear out the middle up to the 50. It wasn’t like they were doing a “Cunnington” either. We appeared to just fall off them. I suppose tiredness was the main factor.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
For the second week in a row, once the opposition got a bit if a run on, they appeared to just run through our tackles. There were lots of occasions that I thought we had things reasonably under control and expected a ball-up situation. Instead, a Melbourne player would somehow break free and run clear out the middle up to the 50. It was like they were doing a “Cunnington” either. We appeared to just fall off them. I suppose tiredness was the main factor.

We have a significantly younger and less developed team across the board - it's going to happen for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of the day, Pickett literally destroyed us. That goal, where he had three involvements before kicking it was amazing. He was the difference, really.

I reckon they had 4 or 5 goals where the ball escapes the pack and someone ran onto it and out the back. One of the most frustrating things about this team over the past 5 years is the refusal to
play/recruit a crumber, particularly when opposition smalls have routinely bent us over. It’s like watching friggen magic when other small forwards go to work, just because it’s so foreign to us.

Positives:
- Phillips best game thus far, only had a few short bursts in the middle but you could immediately tell how much more natural it is for him. Excited to watch him get more and more time in there.

Excellent observation.

Has looked lost at times up forward and is also adapting to the fact that these guys aren't as easy to push away as U18 kids.

However that centre square clearance was a work of art and seemed like shelling peas to him.

I reckon they had 4 or 5 goals where the ball escapes the pack and someone ran onto it and out the back. One of the most frustrating things about this team over the past 5 years is the refusal to
play/recruit a crumber, particularly when opposition smalls have routinely bent us over. It’s like watching friggen magic when other small forwards go to work, just because it’s so foreign to us.

Ultimately, we have no “spark” player. To think, 10 years ago, we had Boomer, Lyndsey and Flash all on the park in the same team.

One of those was jackson because walker decided to leave his man, impact the contest with two others, none of them managed to and jackson got the easy goal out the back. Walker definitely had a good game, but at least that one wasnt due to not having someone crumbing. If you leave your man you need to impact the contest at a minimum.

At the end of the day, Pickett literally destroyed us. That goal, where he had three involvements before kicking it was amazing. He was the difference, really.

he is exactly what we need and been looking for so many years. He will be the most exciting player in the game.

There's nobody really in the VFL putting good games together imo to deserve selection, only Garner is an option but he's not exactly fully fit.
Yeah, I watched parts of the vfl game on kayo, we lost by 100+ points and no one in that team is banging the door down for selection.

We just have to wait it out, until we can recruit more players. This was always expected after a massive cull, and then the usual injury list we have.

Badly need a second bigger body up forward... larkey can't do it all. Campbell took a few marks which was good, but I'd kill for a jarred waite type free agent. Even getting Shaun Mckernan/Jesse Hogan or another recycled player at the end of last year would have helped.

Not sure whether he ever entered calculations but I was thinking ex-Gold Coast's Peter Wright might've been worth a look, I'm assuming for bugger-all. Pretty reliable key forward & can give Goldie a 5 minute spell each quarter.
As much as TC's improved over the past couple of weeks, he's still very much to me a ruckman that can play forward a little bit rather than vice-versa.

Not just yet but he certainly will be very soon.

Hard to believe he has only just turned 23.

In saying that, needed to kick the goal yesterday
He is definitely not afraid to get he s hands dirty. I like the balance with him. Earlier on I was that nking he might be more of an icing on top type but now he appears to be more suited to the engine room. Which is actually pretty good regarding balance going forward. Little bit of a smokey to be a future skipper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back