Review Autopsy vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest, I think more than anything, we missed Tom Boyd tonight. You can say all you want about our ball use being horrendous, young guys not cracking in hard enough, North's pressure and zone exemplary, however if we had a 200cm, big-bodied forward either clunking those long bombs or bringing them to ground, we kick 3+ more goals. Tom Campbell is a preliminary ruckman, and while he provides a decent target with relatively good hands, he doesn't have the forward craft to know how to get the ball often, and when he does, his set-shots are a write-off. Boyd does all of that, and his kicking isn't that bad. Bevo had the right idea, bringing Roberts in to combat one of the tallest sides in the comp, but it wasn't enough to believe that one of Roughead or Campbell would always have been able to be that premier forward target. Even Redpath would have been beneficial.

Looking ahead, I reckon it's imperative we get Webb in, for at least one good ball user running off half-back. Was really disappointed with Stevens and Picken last night, really didn't play as leaders to the young blokes and contributed little, if anything. On the plus side, I thought Roughead and Campbell competed outstandingly in the ruck, and Todd Goldstein doesn't get much harder. Against the Crows, ideally:

IN: Webb, Boyd, Daniel, (Collins?)

OUT: Stevens, Picken, Dale

How about Roughy missing from 5 out and Jake from 15-20? Goalkicking was crap too
Those two were team deflates. We still had a chance at that point. They are both goals and we are within a couple of points with 6 of 7 to go with all the momentum.
Felt very much like those Stk prelims. We don't often do well in low scoring slog fests

So disappointed with the loss.

We just couldn't develop any momentum. And that is credit to North who ran hard and competed well all night. Their pressure was immense and we did not have the skill or composure to deal with it.

I feel we lost for three reasons:

-ineffectual disposal around the ground;
-lack of contested marking in the forward line; and
-inaccuracy in front of goal.

The first two have a lot to do with the opposition - and credit to them - but I felt we were in the contest until the last five minutes.

I am proud of the fact that we did compete hard and gave our all, but at the end of the day the better team won. They just had more numbers, more spread and were more potent in front of goal.

There were plenty of positives though. Campbell was very good against Goldstein. Hunter, Macrae, Boyd and Stevens were fantastic again too. And Stringer....well another "almost" game. It's unfortunate we couldn't post a win for Dalhaus :-(

Haven't read much so apologies. Went to the game, thought it was an excellent defensive game from both sides. We created a lot of turnovers, but north were epic and killing the ball,

Our ball use overall was dogshit

T Boyd is necessary to our future.

Logical choice is Daniel for Dale next week, Dale was poor.

Positives: still like McLean, Hunter and Macrae both really good overall, mixed bag from Adams but I'm loving his future with the club, didn't mind the rucks, gotta see this 3 tall set up soon I reckon.

Look the game was played exactly how it read, a team with form all over the park was too good for a sound structural, honest team missing all its class. I'm fine with the result in all its context

As well as "lack of contested marking in the forward line" at times lack of *anybody* or just one player in the forward line. Not sure how that worked but Dickson for example seemed to be in defence most of the game.

So disappointed with the loss.

We just couldn't develop any momentum. And that is credit to North who ran hard and competed well all night. Their pressure was immense and we did not have the skill or composure to deal with it.

I feel we lost for three reasons:

-ineffectual disposal around the ground;
-lack of contested marking in the forward line; and
-inaccuracy in front of goal.

The first two have a lot to do with the opposition - and credit to them - but I felt we were in the contest until the last five minutes.

I am proud of the fact that we did compete hard and gave our all, but at the end of the day the better team won. They just had more numbers, more spread and were more potent in front of goal.

There were plenty of positives though. Campbell was very good against Goldstein. Hunter, Macrae, Boyd and Stevens were fantastic again too. And Stringer....well another "almost" game. It's unfortunate we couldn't post a win for Dalhaus :-(

As we've lost Bob, then JJ, then Suckers our movement through the corridor is becoming less and less. I can think of one occasion last night when we actually did it and it worked (Boyd from memory to someone who hit up Stringer in the fifty). Think we have to try and be a bit more risky even though we have lost our most skilful, be prepared to give up some scores if we stuff it up and back ourselves to score more from it. Of course that comes with a bit of line breaking speed which we don't seem to have at the moment (as an aside Suckling is quicker than I thought). But overall I think we are playing very risk free footy which impacts on our ability to score as much (bad execution isn't taking a risk).

Have you lost yours although after your post on Roughead I could question whether you ever had one. Has one average game and bang!
It wasn't a shot at Adams it was a post explaining the unfair examination of Roberts' game. Yet instead of trying to see my point or simply disagreeing you question my mind. Well you can take that right back at you.

Seriously Immortal are you telling me Roughy has had one "average game " ?
Get the rose coloured glasses off.
It was pathetic last night. He has had a couple of "pass games " this year , that is all.
He is simply the most disappointing player on the list. For a senior player his intensity at the contest is woeful.

It was a disappointing loss but the positive for me is how close we got with such a young side. Getting good pressure games into the pups is a bonus and our rate of improvement should increase as a result.

I was surprised at the stats that showed us leading in most key areas. During the game i thought we were losing the clearances and Norf seemed to be able to get the ball out of the packs with one less player in there and always have a spare man on the outside to receive. Libba, Wallis, Jong and Stevens looked to me to be beaten in that area but the stats tell a different story.

The forward line was poor. If we are going to persist with just bombing it in there, and based on the evidence of the first 6 games that seems to be the plan, then we do need a marking target down there. The cupboard just looks bare. Surprised at the calls for Redpaths inclusion. i havent ever seen him take a contested mark, he seems to me to be a purely leading FF and i have doubts he would be effective with our forward entries.

I was also surprised that Roberts was included and not Hamling. Has Hamling done something so wrong in his previous games?

A bit like the Gawks game, in that physically they were a lot bigger all over the ground. I think we'll find out the same against Crows.

Stringer is playing like a petulant child who wants to be a midfielder. His workrate in the F50 last night was embarrassing and if that's a non negotiable, he needs a kick in the butt.

Have watched all Footscray VFL games, have not been putting reports on BF. How has Fletcher Roberts got a game, certainly not on form, Hamling must have told Rohan Smith to get stuffed, Collins although down last week, but still along way in front of Roberts, Luke Beveridge how was Roberts selected????? the bloke form has been terrible. Luke and company have not made to many mistakes in last 18 months, But Roberts selection is hard to understand.

Have watched all Footscray VFL games, have not been putting reports on BF. How has Fletcher Roberts got a game, certainly not on form, Hamling must have told Rohan Smith to get stuffed, Collins although down last week, but still along way in front of Roberts, Luke Beveridge how was Roberts selected????? the bloke form has been terrible. Luke and company have not made to many mistakes in last 18 months, But Roberts selection is hard to understand.
You going today Black Pup? Would love to see a report of you do, always well appreciated from this end.

Seriously Immortal are you telling me Roughy has had one "average game " ?
Get the rose coloured glasses off.
It was pathetic last night. He has had a couple of "pass games " this year , that is all.
He is simply the most disappointing player on the list. For a senior player his intensity at the contest is woeful.
Roughead was dead set s**t last night. He either plays back on the resting ruck, and relieves in the ruck, or he doesn't play imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really sure on the selection of Roberts but it falls to the match committee who got it wrong. But being reasonable about the reality is that our level of depth is simply not up to scratch just yet.

I've got a feeling that we're going to see more of last night until we improve on the injury front and I don't feel too confident at present

MC has history of making random decisions. Ayce Cordy played 6 continuous games in 2015 he never deserved. Hopefully we don't see many more from Fletch? Can he play forward at all?

Just watched Bev's post match presser and at least he is onto the main problems. He is just as frustrated as everyone on this board about our inability to score from the mountain of possession and inside 50's that we generate. And he also said that it has been apparent in many of our wins this year also, in that we should have won by more but didn't take full advantage of our work up the ground. He praised the defence but really let the forward line have it.

Hopefully they learn from this and it improves over the coming weeks. The first step to addressing a problem is admiting that you have one in the first place and I think Bev did that last night and made it clear that it would be a focus to improve in that area.

Last edited:
I thought our defence held up well given how often we coughed it up across half forward, beaten in the air around the ground but limited the damage on the scoreboard. The margin probably should have been far greater in the end.

It wasn't an effort issue so much as a personnel one, you could see the instinctive sort of stuff that JJ, Bob and Suckers have been able to introduce to the rebounding plays was a real stretch for their replacements. Things just coughed and spluttered offensively when we tried to play to our normal game plan. So much so that eventually the run and carry element disappeared along with any possession through the centre square. I'm not sure we can hang anyone for it, take the types that we have out and any team struggled on that front. What we might need to look at is switching to a more traditional pattern of ball movement and get a bigger body down the line competing in the air, creating stoppages. Would be a shame, but horses for courses.

North set up very well, but it was a bit of a perfect storm in their favour. We were void of the weapons to counter what they are doing very well at this point in time. Stats tell the story in a lot of ways, we absorbed the physical pressure of a more physically mature and experienced team, but just couldn't cash in. They're a good side with clear holes that usually we'd have taken advantage of. Needed to find a way.

And for all that, here we are again bemoaning goal kicking conversion. It is an absolute ******* stain on our Club at both levels and will continue to cost us games right up to our next PF loss and subsequent PF losses before the hamster wheel turns and we watch GWS etc receive their gift wrapped premierships. Kick the ******* goal Bulldogs FFS.

Just watched Bev's post match presser and at least he is onto the main problems. He is just s frustrated as everyone on this board about our inability to score from the mountain of possession and inside 50's that we generate. And he also said that it has been apparent in many of our wins this year also, in that we should have won by more but didn't take full advantage of our work up the ground. He praised the defence but really let the forward line have it.

Hopefully they learn from this and it improves over the coming weeks. The first step to addressing a problem is admiting that you have one in the first place and I think Bev did that last night and made it clear that it would be a focus to improve in that area.
Hopefully we can do it quicker than a seven step program :p
But yeah Bev is pretty honest in his appraisal after games.

A bit like the Gawks game, in that physically they were a lot bigger all over the ground. I think we'll find out the same against Crows.

Ability to win contested ball and clear it is not the issue, we are league leaders in that area. I dont understand this perception that we are skinny and weak - we arent.

We lost the game in tardis, not the phonebox.

spiders

I too was surprised that Hamling was dropped (for no apparent reason but the MC knows best) and that Roberts was then preferred after apparently indifferent form in the VFL. is there a form reason why no one has mentioned Cordy as an option? Reports are he has grown, he did ok in his games last year but he is never mentioned this year as an option/ Has his form in the VFL been poor?

Ability to win contested ball and clear it is not the issue, we are league leaders in that area. I dont understand this perception that we are skinny and weak - we arent.

spiders

I haven't watched Dr Who since Tom Baker was the doctor and he had that assistant who climbed ladders in very short skirts. But i know that's wrong and i am better now,

By losing it in the tardis, not the phone box does that mean you think we lost it on the outside? Poor delivery and composure?

spiders
Yeah I get that. I just think our lack of strength inside F50 in particular is very noticeable. Also getting hammered by +10kg at every contest is going to wear a few down IMO.

Lachie Hunter's rapid improvement is incredible. He is 21 years old until after this season yet runs around gathering 44 touches at 79% efficiency, pushing back hard to help the half back line that is struggling at the moment with injuries and does it all against the team that is 5-0 at the top of the ladder. Has shown remarkable consistency since breaking out towards the end of last season.

Our lack of class through half back really showed last night. Missing 3/4 of our best distributers really stifled our movement.

I think making finals from here would be a good effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back