Review Autopsy vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Dear oh dear. Keyboard tough guys Vs Softcocks. Both have one thing in common. Myopia.
Tough guys saying it was a fair bump. BS!! It was late. Open your eyes.
Softcocks saying he should be rubbed out. BS!! It should have been a free kick downfield but as Libba marked it, maybe the ump didn't bother calling advantage. Moot.
If we start reporting every late bump/tackle/shepherd the MRC are going to need days to sift through the videos.
And here's the clincher. Call me a fence sitter, I don't care The fact it was NOT A reportable offence means the injury sustained is irrelevant. It seems unfair but That's the game. Unless rule changes are made, you cant just report a guy retrospectively because an injury was sustained. The real issue here is one of OUR players got hurt, and it was done by a hated faux tough guy with history, which slants the bias. Thems the breaks (literally).
What I will love seeing is JZ being ironed out in the return match, and if I were him I'd be looking over my shoulder at every contest, cos a legitimate tough guy like a Smith, Morris, Red or Libber will be waiting for the opportunity.

The issue for mine is that the severity hasn't come into it.

So everybody's in agreement that it should have been a downfield free kick ... the same punishment if Ziebell had laid the bump with half the severity and not broken his ribs?

At what point does an already-illegal hit go beyond the boundaries of merely a downfield free kick? Broken ribs and another injury? Why isn't broken ribs enough to ensure the punishment goes beyond a bump that isn't as hard and doesn't injure a player?

To be honest a reprimand/fine probably should have been enough but I think the MRP doesn't work that way in that if they didn't throw him out, they'd have to apply the table and he'd get a minimum of 2 weeks.
Punishment based on the result of an action is ridiculous. I could punch you as hard as I can directly in the head and by some twist of fate you could be absolutely fine. But an accidental elbow could put you in a coma.

What Ziebell did was never and has never been a suspension worthy act. He hit Cloke in the body slightly late just after he disposed of the ball. It sucks that he was injured but them's the breaks in a contact sport.

Dear oh dear. Keyboard tough guys Vs Softcocks. Both have one thing in common. Myopia.
Softcocks saying he should be rubbed out. BS!! It should have been a free kick downfield but as Libba marked it, maybe the ump didn't bother calling advantage. Moot.
If we start reporting every late bump/tackle/shepherd the MRC are going to need days to sift through the videos.
And here's the clincher. Call me a fence sitter, I don't care The fact it was NOT A reportable offence means the injury sustained is irrelevant. It seems unfair but That's the game. Unless rule changes are made, you cant just report a guy retrospectively because an injury was sustained. The real issue here is one of OUR players got hurt, and it was done by a hated faux tough guy with history, which slants the bias. Thems the breaks (literally).
What I will love seeing is JZ being ironed out in the return match, and if I were him I'd be looking over my shoulder at every contest, cos a legitimate tough guy like a Smith, Morris, Red or Libber will be waiting for the opportunity.
I think most people that are arguing it shouldn't be a report agree it should have been down field, in fact I haven't seen anyone argue it should have been play on.

I think most people that are arguing it shouldn't be a report agree it should have been down field, in fact I haven't seen anyone argue it should have been play on.

Except the folks suggesting he was in possession, or it was a contested ball. But yeah, most agree. Folks just don't seem to get the irrelevancy of the injury for a non reportable clash.

Punishment based on the result of an action is ridiculous. I could punch you as hard as I can directly in the head and by some twist of fate you could be absolutely fine. But an accidental elbow could put you in a coma.

What Ziebell did was never and has never been a suspension worthy act. He hit Cloke in the body slightly late just after he disposed of the ball. It sucks that he was injured but them's the breaks in a contact sport.
I have to say I disagree. I actually hate the MRP using injury as a justification, as you say, millimetres can be the difference between a bad concussion or not and a heavy suspension when the intent is completely the same.

But in this instance, where broken ribs = heavy bump and no broken ribs = less heavy bump, it can give us an indication of the severity of the bump.

What I'm trying to say is that of course bumps, even illegal ones, are part of the game. But Ziebell could have bumped with less severity to the extent that he isn't injuring opposition players. All ignoring the bump was late as to the fact it should have been a downfield free.

It's the same principle with sling tackles. Tackling is part of the game. You could use the same logic that sling tackles are just a tactic to get the ball loose from the player if it's locked up. But the risk of injury meant that they started suspending for sling tackles, given that the player with the ball couldn't protect themselves. It's the same here. The MRP, are in effect, endorsing bumps to be as hard as they want, in situations where a player can't protect himself (having just kicked the ball) and where there's alternative to tackle or smother. What if Brisbane injured a dozen of our players because Fagan had the idea that his players wouldn't get suspended if they bumped as hard as they could against players who had just kicked the ball rather than trying to tackle or smother? The principle that the MRP have endorsed with this decision is that the severity being the extent that players getting injured is okay, in unprotected bump situations. I disagree. If Cloke failed to defend himself properly in general play, like seeing Ziebell going for the ball, and got injured, like the Wood/Hannebery one, I'd agree. But there's nothing Cloke could have done to not get injured as a result of Ziebell's actions and was still injured.

Not saying he should have had the book thrown at him, and maybe the MRP needs review if there wasn't an interpretation that could have led to it, but a reprimand and fine should have been enough.

So your labelling anyone with an opinion soft utensils or keyboard tough guys....what does that make you?

Finally got to watch the game as didn't get a chance on Friday....

Moyd, mentioned last year I thought he should have retired as even though he had a decent finals series, there were a couple of times where he got found out for slowness (of mind and body). It's continued further this year. He'll still contribute week to week but it could have been one year too long.

Macrae and Dahl were just huge. Two massive standouts, both were just not willing to lose that game. Good to see Macrae hit the scoreboard too.

Thought Jong was good again, only counted a couple of typical errors on his part (probably less than most players)

Another good game from Roberts, becoming pretty dependable down there. I'm starting to eat my words on him... let's just say I'm on the entree. If he keeps it going I'll happily go the full degustation.

Suckling had one of his horror periods in the first half where he just tries to do too much with the ball. That saw him make multiple errors but that won't happen every week and I think it's just something we need to accept will happen sometimes with him. At least he was getting to good spots, just his execution could have been better. He turned it around nicely in the second half though and I reckon he was better up forward than he's been in defence. I thought our rebound was better with just keeping the same guys (JJ, Murph and Boyd - despite some mistakes by them) down there for most of the game.

Ziebell hit was dirty and he only had one intention but should have only been a downfield IMO. It's a shame Cloke gets injured but that's footy.

Also I'll say I was pretty pleased for Hrovat, I thought he had a decent game. Never going to be a world beater but if he keeps that standard I think he'll carve out a decent career with North. Good on him.

Haven't seen these posted yet..

NORTH MELBOURNE v WESTERN BULLDOGS
9 Luke Dahlhaus (WB)
8 Ben Cunnington (NM)
4 Toby McLean (WB)
3 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
3 Matt Suckling (WB)
2 Ben Brown (NM)
1 Robert Murphy (WB)

No Macrae :eek:
Suckling. :eek:

Haven't seen these posted yet..

NORTH MELBOURNE v WESTERN BULLDOGS
9 Luke Dahlhaus (WB)
8 Ben Cunnington (NM)
4 Toby McLean (WB)
3 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
3 Matt Suckling (WB)
2 Ben Brown (NM)
1 Robert Murphy (WB)
Ahh the weekly puzzle!
I'll have a stab at ...

Beveridge:
*5 - Dahl
*4 - McLean
*3 - Cunnington
2 - Bontempelli
1 - Murphy

Scott
*5 - Cunnington
*4 - Dahlhaus
3 - Suckling
2 - Brown
1 - Bontempelli

* Votes for Dahl, Cunnington and McLean are locked in (they could in theory be reversed so that Scott gave Dahl BoG, etc but somehow I doubt it).
The rest could be shuffled a number of ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that one coach rated Mclean's role as top 2 and the other didn't rate it in his top 5.
Perhaps suggests that Bev challenged Mclean in some way and he was up to the task.
I agree, but sometimes it can be the opposite, game looks good but he didn't do something that was asked of him like running the other way. In this case though, I'd say Bev gave him votes.

Ahh the weekly puzzle!
I'll have a stab at ...

Beveridge:
*5 - Dahl
*4 - McLean
*3 - Cunnington
2 - Bontempelli
1 - Murphy

Scott
*5 - Cunnington
*4 - Dahlhaus
3 - Suckling
2 - Brown
1 - Bontempelli

* Votes for Dahl, Cunnington and McLean are locked in (they could in theory be reversed so that Scott gave Dahl BoG, etc but somehow I doubt it).
The rest could be shuffled a number of ways.
It does seem plausible that Bwad would give suckers the 3 votes given he almost won the game for them in 2nd qtr;)

template

PATRICK SMITH

AFL hands soccer a free kick by clearing Ziebell hit on Travis Cloke

Before we get stuck into this business about bumping players in the AFL — it’s a hot topic after Bulldog Travis Cloke had his ribs crushed into manly mulch last Friday night — we have a little message to deliver.

It is from a droolingly gracious soccer boss David Gallop and it is to be to passed on to the AFL’s boffin of boffins, Gillon McLachlan.

It is a thank you note from Football Federation Australia saying how grateful they are that the AFL gave the round-ball game — and let’s face it, the A-League is struggling — a very important leg-up yesterday.

It is believed Gallop wept with joy when he read that North Melbourne’s Jack Ziebell had been cleared of any misdemeanours when he charged into Cloke after the Bulldog forward had kicked the ball. When contact was made to Cloke’s chest by the rampant Ziebell the ball was some 10 metres on the way to its target.

However the tribunal members — Michael Christian, Nathan Burke and Jason Johnson — amazingly ruled that when Ziebell broke Cloke’s chest into little pieces he was in the act of kicking.

As much as we regard Christian, Burke and Johnson to be fine men with a mountain of football behind them, the decision to clear Ziebell is the work of ratbags.

If Cloke was still regarded as being in the throes of kicking the ball when he had already booted it at least 10 metres, then, pray, Messrs Christian, Burke and Johnson, when is the act of kicking deemed complete? Obviously not when it has left the boot. When the ball is marked maybe? When it travels 60 metres for a goal, when it finds the boundary line?

All a bit silly and arbitrary don’t you think? Might just be the ball is deemed kicked, well, when it has been kicked. Left the boot. Too simple?

Some AFL officials believe the right decision would have been to pay a free kick down field after deeming Ziebell’s hit late. Well, if deserved of a free kick then it was an illegal act by Ziebell and the match review panel would have had to take into account the damage to Cloke. But the AFL position was that Cloke’s injuries are irrelevant to the decision because the panel found the contact to be legal. Don’t judge the incident on the aftermath rather consider whether was it legal in the first place.

And here is the problem. In no way can Ziebell’s bump be deemed legal. While tribunal and AFL representatives maintain that Ziebell had hit Cloke before the ball left his boot they are clearly wrong. The vision indisputably shows Cloke kicking and then getting crunched. In fact, Ziebell seemed to have no other intention other than charging into Cloke. That he had kicked the ball did not deter him. And the tribunal guidelines state clearly that the body is sacrosanct in certain conditions.

Here is the relevant section: Rough Conduct (Bumps to the Body)

“It should be noted that even if the rule relating to high bumps does not apply (for example in the case of a bump to the body), a player may still be guilty of rough conduct if his conduct was unreasonable in the circumstances. In determining whether any bump was unreasonable in the circumstances, without limitation, regard may be had to whether:

● The degree of force applied by
the person bumping was excessive for the situation;

● The player being bumped was in a vulnerable position; and

● The player could reasonably expect the contact having regard to his involvement in play or ability to influence the contest.”

So was the force applied excessive in the circumstances? Given that Cloke had already kicked the ball, then hell yeah.

Cloke was in a most vulnerable position. He had kicked the ball clear of the contest and should not have expected contact. And finally, given that Cloke had kicked the ball on to a new contest then he had no right to expect a crunching.

And so under these guidelines it is indisputable that the tribunal made a hideously bad decision yesterday and their right to continue on the match review panel should be reviewed. Their verdict was that bad.

If a parent has any fear that his or her child will be injured badly and unnecessary playing a contact ball sport then they should immediately scrap plans for kids to play Australian Rules. Yesterday’s tribunal decision is so wretched it is a glossy, embossed invite to soccer training. Must leave you here. We still have a letter to drop off.

Ohhhh Nathan Bourke was on the panel, why does that not surprise me.

When do we play Norf again? I think we should unleash big Red for some retribution and the Bont for some media work leading up to it calling it malicious.

Interesting. I thought it was an ordinary article and I disagreed with pretty much all of it.

The whole free kick to soccer stuff is ridiculous. Kids are turning to soccer but not because an AFL player got bumped and broke his ribs. There's a myriad of reasons and so called violence on the AFL field (which is in the best shape it's ever been) is very low on the list.

I didn't care for the soccer stuff. His pointing out the black and white rules was what persuaded me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back