Autopsy Autopsy vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Well what can ya say about that

Disappointing Boyd might miss a few, thought he was really good last night. Threw his weight around and attacked the ball much harder than usual. Yeah marks still werent sticking (although they werent for many in last jights conditions) but I dunno i think hes been building nicely and I got the feeling it was starting to click for him last night. But yeah what a surprise injured in the last quarter.

Just so ******* sick of this s**t

The worst thing from th night was the urgency from our mature players like Daniel, JJ Biggs etc. Was absolutely disgusting watching the coast through.

And why would the club even let Bont go back on the field after looking like he tore his ACL? I don’t see the benefit that has. It’s a bad look and is just irresponsible. He’s our best player by a country mile and if he got anymore structural damage after he went on.. I don’t even want to think about that.

Last edited:
Well what can ya say about that

Disappointing Boyd might miss a few, thought he was really good last night. Threw his weight around and attacked the ball much harder than usual. Yeah marks still werent sticking (although they werent for many in last jights conditions) but I dunno i think hes been building nicely and I got the feeling it was starting to click for him last night. But yeah what a surprise injured in the last quarter.

Just so ******* sick of this s**t

He isn’t a ruckman and as I’ve said he doesn’t want to play there.

Let’s hope English has a big pre season and can take the role and Bev tries to leave Boyd in the forward line next year.

If not I see him not doing much more

He isn’t a ruckman and as I’ve said he doesn’t want to play there.

Let’s hope English has a big pre season and can take the role and Bev tries to leave Boyd in the forward line next year.

If not I see him not doing much more
Dont reply to me im ignored remember

It seems week by week Beveridge and the MC has been exposed for a stupid mistake.

The glaring one last night was Gowers in the ruck for so long.

You have a ruckman in the 2s who literally can’t do much more to plead his case and they resort to playing a second fiddle forward in the ruck.

There is some apparent harm being caused to the team by seemingly personal issues.

How can Honeychurch ever get a game instead of Dunks or Jong?

They need to stop playing favourites and put the best team on the park each week for the sake of stakeholders.

Moving on from Mr “We’ll never win a final with Dickson in the team”...

Anyone else notice the wild fluctuation in our clearance numbers against two very good but similar clearance sides the last two weeks?

My take: sharking to Max Gawn was obviously more predictable for our mids than our ruck(s?) halving the contest last night. We planned pretty heavily for Gawn. If English can be a reliable first tap ruck, we can plan like that most weeks and improve in that area dramatically.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why we’ve abandoned the short kicking game that worked well for us earlier in the season? Our uncontested marks peaked at the Essendon game and have tailed off massively since.

Personally, I think we’re experimenting really heavily with strategy this year. Really heavily. As in, curious stuff every week. More so than we would if eking out wins was the first priority...

I’ve adjusted my expectations accordingly over the last month or so. Even so, the first quarter last night was very disappointing from an effort perspective.

‘Sack the coaches and delist 35 players’ responses need not apply.

The worst thing from th night was the urgency from our mature players like Daniel, JJ Biggs etc. Was absolutely disgusting watching the coast through.

And why would the club even let Bont go back on the field after looking like he tore his ACL? I don’t see the benefit that has. It’s a bad look and is just irresponsible. He’s our best player by a country mile and if he got anymore structural damage after he went on.. I don’t even want to think about that.
Probably because the club doctor's examination can test for ACL injuries more accurately than our eyes can when seeing a knee hyperextend on TV.

It is going to be a long 10 weeks not sure we can win any games with the injury toll mounting. Lucky Bont did not an ACL that would have been the end.

Only thing we can salvage is giving game time to the young guys put all of in we are going get smashed in most games anyway. Play Naughton, English, Young and Greene.

PS What has happen to Caleb he has gone from being our second best decision maker to one of the worst and that is when gets the ball which is not often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with you about the Bont situation. I would have kept him off and I was cringing every time he went near it for the rest of the match.

However I couldn't disagree with your first comment more. The problem isn't the mature players. It is the youngsters (Richards excepted) that simply don't do enough, and seem to feel that they are allowed to make plenty of mistakes and not take any initiative/responsibility for helping the team win so long as they do a couple of OK things by the end of the night.

The bias towards kids on this forum drips from almost every page. Everyone cans the older blokes if they make a blue like Biggs did in the first quarter, but no one mentions that Bailey Williams did the same thing. Now Williams has been very good this season and actually stepped up to take responsibility as a senior player, I'm just using the situation as an example of the different way that things are viewed here depending on a players experience level.

Moving on from Mr “We’ll never win a final with Dickson in the team”...

Anyone else notice the wild fluctuation in our clearance numbers against two very good but similar clearance sides the last two weeks?

My take: sharking to Max Gawn was obviously more predictable for our mids than our ruck(s?) halving the contest last night. We planned pretty heavily for Gawn. If English can be a reliable first tap ruck, we can plan like that most weeks and improve in that area dramatically.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why we’ve abandoned the short kicking game that worked well for us earlier in the season? Our uncontested marks peaked at the Essendon game and have tailed off massively since.

Personally, I think we’re experimenting really heavily with strategy this year. Really heavily. As in, curious stuff every week. More so than we would if eking out wins was the first priority...

I’ve adjusted my expectations accordingly over the last month or so. Even so, the first quarter last night was very disappointing from an effort perspective.

‘Sack the coaches and delist 35 players’ responses need not apply.

We can experiment and adjust expectations all we like.

No excuses for effort and basic list management errors in re-contracting players tbe coach won't pick or drafting a shedload of limited short people mids and having a qtr of.your list tied up with mediocre KPDs.

Yes we have injuries but at what point do we accept that some players are injured more often than they aren't and that we can't carry so many injury prone players?

Injuries arent an excuse when the club has deliberately chosen to roll the dice with seemingly perpetually injured players like Smith and Redpath. Redpath could have been traded to Richmond...but the 3 knee reco, heavy, mediocre guy was a must keep...so lets keep perpetually injured players and then bitch about injuries hurting us when they inevitably get injured.

And back to effort. JJ seems to be coasting. Daniel pathetic. Biggs' head is not in footy. Webb is puzzling. Boyd and Schache seem to have highly variable aggression levels. Hunter and Dahl have dropped off.

I agree with Bev in the sense that winning a flag was a bad thing.

It has hidden the clubs insanity.

Injury prone? Lets keep those players and hope they get better.

Poor kicking tiny mids? Lets keep the least skillled.player in the AFL on our list.

Poor kicking? Lets not do anything specific about it...

We keep doing the same stupid things and expect a different outcome. Definition of insanity.

Probably because the club doctor's examination can test for ACL injuries more accurately than our eyes can when seeing a knee hyperextend on TV.
As soon as the game was over he was limping around on the field and had ice immediately strapped to it. What was the benefit of putting him back on the field by risking further damage?

It seems week by week Beveridge and the MC has been exposed for a stupid mistake.

The glaring one last night was Gowers in the ruck for so long.

You have a ruckman in the 2s who literally can’t do much more to plead his case and they resort to playing a second fiddle forward in the ruck.

There is some apparent harm being caused to the team by seemingly personal issues.

How can Honeychurch ever get a game instead of Dunks or Jong?

They need to stop playing favourites and put the best team on the park each week for the sake of stakeholders.

I thought Gowers acquitted himself well. Better than Grigg does for Richmond. He actually won a hit out in the centre. It’s not ideal though.

English & Boyd should clearly be our first preference, and I hope we can revert to that later in the year when English is back from injury.

We can experiment and adjust expectations all we like.

No excuses for effort and basic list management errors in re-contracting players tbe coach won't pick or drafting a shedload of limited short people mids and having a qtr of.your list tied up with mediocre KPDs.

Yes we have injuries but at what point do we accept that some players are injured more often than they aren't and that we can't carry so many injury prone players?

Injuries arent an excuse when the club has deliberately chosen to roll the dice with seemingly perpetually injured players like Smith and Redpath. Redpath could have been traded to Richmond...but the 3 knee reco, heavy, mediocre guy was a must keep...so lets keep perpetually injured players and then bitch about injuries hurting us when they inevitably get injured.

And back to effort. JJ seems to be coasting. Daniel pathetic. Biggs' head is not in footy. Webb is puzzling. Boyd and Schache seem to have highly variable aggression levels. Hunter and Dahl have dropped off.

I agree with Bev in the sense that winning a flag was a bad thing.

It has hidden the clubs insanity.

Injury prone? Lets keep those players and hope they get better.

Poor kicking tiny mids? Lets keep the least skillled.player in the AFL on our list.

Poor kicking? Lets not do anything specific about it...

We keep doing the same stupid things and expect a different outcome. Definition of insanity.

Agree that McCartney made bad calls on recontracting talls that aren’t in the coach’s plans. I’ve said since the start of the year our list is imbalanced and needs correcting at the end of this season.

I reckon the rest of your post is mostly hyperbole.

The only worthwhile commentary in this thread is from an opposition supporter.

Here are some lists:

Libba
Adams
Suckling
Picken
Morris
Redpath
Dickson
Smith
Dale

English
Naughton
Collins

Wood
Macrae

Boyd
Webb
McLean

Anyone suggesting the above is irrelevant to this and other results is a willful moron.
And to bring it to a probable best 22 level:
Libba
Adams
Suckling
Picken
Morris
Dickson
Smith
English
Naughton
Wood
Macrae
Boyd
McLean

That is 13 probable best 22.

yes our list management has not been great. Yes we did stuff up our coaching, fitness and football panel. Yes our selections are baffling.

But game day coaching being rubbishes with 13 of the best 22 out or injured (9 before the start of the game) that is absolute dribble.

It is now about getting quality game time into those younger player who have both worked hard to earn a spot and showed potential.

Provide Bev more support for next season and get any player who needs an op in early to allow for a full pre season.

The effort was there last night. We had a few players who would never be up to it playing but with injuries we are likely to win only 5 or 6 games this year but can set a foundation for next year with some courage of conviction

Honeychurch needs to go. Sorry, I don't care how bad our team is. His ball use is fckued. If he's in our team again this year, we are not doing well AT ALL depth wise. Like - we're in the bottom 5% of our list.

I understand he tries hard, but wow. He was horrific.

I agree. I'm surprised at a few people saying he was s**t. I thought he was really good. Had him as one of only 4 good players on the field.

As soon as the game was over he was limping around on the field and had ice immediately strapped to it. What was the benefit of putting him back on the field by risking further damage?
Of course he iced it. That's literally the management for every injury. That doesn't mean it's particularly severe, and certainly doesn't suggest in any way that it's his ACL.

It was for the same benefit as putting McLean, Boyd and Webb back on the field- we were able to play more than 16 blokes.

I'm sure the club doctors weighed up the risks in each case. Clearly, they thought the risk was too high with Macrae's hamstring, but wasn't quite as high with bont's knee.

Honestly, I find it baffling that we bash medical decisions made by experts who have actually assessed the injury when we have very little information about the injury ourselves. It's the logical equivalent of watching one stoppage and deciding that Robbie Gray played a bad game last night.

But
Agree with you about the Bont situation. I would have kept him off and I was cringing every time he went near it for the rest of the match.

However I couldn't disagree with your first comment more. The problem isn't the mature players. It is the youngsters (Richards excepted) that simply don't do enough, and seem to feel that they are allowed to make plenty of mistakes and not take any initiative/responsibility for helping the team win so long as they do a couple of OK things by the end of the night.

The bias towards kids on this forum drips from almost every page. Everyone cans the older blokes if they make a blue like Biggs did in the first quarter, but no one mentions that Bailey Williams did the same thing. Now Williams has been very good this season and actually stepped up to take responsibility as a senior player, I'm just using the situation as an example of the different way that things are viewed here depending on a players experience level.

That what you get 19 and 20 year olds. Short periods of good stuff interspersed with longer periods where they fade out. You can not play them but you won’t get to the next stage (Like Williams has reached this season) without doing it.

You know what you are going to get with Honeychurch, Biggs, Webb etc but you also know they probably aren’t going to get any better

Of course he iced it. That's literally the management for every injury. That doesn't mean it's particularly severe, and certainly doesn't suggest in any way that it's his ACL.

It was for the same benefit as putting McLean, Boyd and Webb back on the field- we were able to play more than 16 blokes.

I'm sure the club doctors weighed up the risks in each case. Clearly, they thought the risk was too high with Macrae's hamstring, but wasn't quite as high with bont's knee.

Honestly, I find it baffling that we bash medical decisions made by experts who have actually assessed the injury when we have very little information about the injury ourselves. It's the logical equivalent of watching one stoppage and deciding that Robbie Gray played a bad game last night.
I reckon Landsberger and Zimmerman would leading experts on ACLs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back