Autopsy Autopsy vs Port Adelaide

If you look at the team lining up for Footscray this weekend its a pretty clear indication of where we are at and how bare the cupboard actually is especially when it comes to potential mids that will need to come into the side this week. As it stands the only one that most would have anywhere near the team right now is Josh Dunkley a player who has spent the entire season playing as a defacto CHF, Lin Jong and grab bag of untried half forwards and backs and thats it. Those of you that find the inclusion of Jong in the side to be unpalatable better get used to the idea of munching down on a s**t sandwich.

Right now there are a number of senior mids that are coasting safe in the knowledge that the above will keep them in the side for the foreseeable future.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm personally happy with the fitness group, don't particularly blame Gia for anything

But the position he is filling at the moment is definitely not the right spot for him to provide the right influence or knowledge. It's the reason why I have no qualms with the fitness, it's just seemingly a lack of understanding of the positions that they are playing

I think about right after we won the lot, I was stunned when there was an article about how we rotated the entire coaching staff because... well, because

Heya MD, by the way :$

Afternoon David

I hope this finds you well

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I would like that to be true, but I fear it is not.

Sydney Swans ladder position (I know COLA may effect this):
2017: 6
2016: 1
2015: 4
2014: 1
2013: 4
2012: 3
2011: 7
2010: 5
2009: 12
2008: 6
2007: 7
2006: 4
2005: 3
2004: 6
2003: 4
2002: 11
2001:7
2000: 10
1999: 8
1998: 3
1997: 6
1996: 1

Geelong
1991 3
1992 2
1993 7
1994 2
1995 2
1996 7
1997 2
1998 12
1999 11
2000 5
2001 12
2002 9
2003 12
2004 4
2005 5
2006 10
2007 1
2009 1
2011 1
2013 3
2014 5
2015 10
2016 2
2017 2

Look at Hawthorn as well if you want to be further depressed. West Coast and Adelaide are also of note, although West Coast had a few bad years in a row and Adelaide are not swamped with the ultimate success.

The narrative that you have to go low before you come back up isn't universally true.

Yes agree Sydney are the exception to the rule. Have recruited unbelievably well, though getting Franklin for nothing in FA hasn’t hurt.

Geelong dipped in the early 2000s then again in 2015- then they fortuitously got Dangerfield, Touhy, Henderson now Ablett which will temporarily keep them in the eight but only for another year or two. Hawthorn are finished as a force- we helped do that to them in 2016. A few ageing stars are not going to save them.

The leading contenders all have high draft picks from the 2000s and early 2010 decades- there is only one way to get them.

Lukes_Beverage

Debutant
Jun 24, 2007
Altona
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
In one of the few times this year, I saw us on TV last night and these are my thoughts on the side overall:

Just about every game in the last 2 years, we look disinterested, lack focus, play well for a short period of time in each game. Why does this happen?
Is it the coaching staff? Are players quite content after 2016 to coast through? Last night's game encompassed all these aspects.
It is quite annoying that every team (even plodders like Carlton, Brisbane, St Kilda) thinks they can beat us, and I don't blame them for that.

On the plus side, we have some very good players if looked after properly will be part of the next premiership team. The ones which come to mind are: Richards, Boyd, Schacke, McLean, McRae, The Bont. I hope the club looks at all that and we contend, sooner, rather than later. I am sure we will, as this is a rebuilding year.

This is my vent. I love this club and couldn't give a stuff about the other 17 teams.

Boss351

Premiership Player
Mar 1, 2014
Heart of P.A.F.C Territory
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Please excuse the intrusion, I was going to post this last night but thought it was a little too close to the game result wash up.
Anyway, I'd just like to say respect and thanks to those game attending Bullies supporters for the good wishes, support, and care shown to young Todd Marshall in regards to his recent loss of both parents, the applause and kindness and the on-field humanity showed by Crozier was heartwarming and extremely emotional.

good luck for the rest of the season :thumbsu:

Sep 1, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Glory
Please excuse the intrusion, I was going to post this last night but thought it was a little too close to the game result wash up.
Anyway, I'd just like to say respect and thanks to those game attending Bullies supporters for the good wishes, support, and care shown to young Todd Marshall in regards to his recent loss of both parents, the applause and kindness and the on-field humanity showed by Crozier was heartwarming and extremely emotional.

good luck for the rest of the season :thumbsu:
I missed the first half. What did Crozier do?

Pedro59

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2007
northern rivers NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hi Guys just wanted to say stick fat - theres probably a lot of people making a lot of the 'drop off' but you guys did it in 2016 and it was one of the most admirable finals series by a team ever.
Hawks won in 2008 and beyond the 22 the list was pretty thin, but we recovered a couple of years later, who cares, you have the makings of a club which can bounce back.
Teams like port will never make it

*I remember pre season game 2009 we got a KPD injured and then Robbie campbell went back there and got injured too! after that in and out for the season. sometimes you can't take a trick*

"Teams like Port will never make it" ???
The ol suckholing by having a common enemy approach eh?

Leviticus

All Australian
Oct 15, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is no surprises who the people are who using excuses in here.

Those that have lived in a bubble and somehow thought this team could turn it around, regardless injuries, have now come to the obvious conclusion they are wrong and are now flailing because their egos cannot deal with being wrong to other certain posters.

Half the blokes out injured are a big chance to never play again or never make any impact and a qrt are kids that shouldn’t be carrying the team. We actually have a full premiership coaching panel so the excuses are just that.

Hilarious that the team gets beat but a selected few make other posters the target because that’s all they have now.

This team is going nowhere unless the coaching panel changes drastically, injuries are not the problem.

Various commentors have their favourites and won't hear a bad word against them.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
]
Bev said Trengrove was outstanding. Was I watching another game?

He was horrid!

He stands by his players and backs them at all costs, which is why he broke a 62 flag drought. Not really that hard to understand mate, people are in leadership positions for a reason. Being positive is one of them.

Last edited:
That and take away Dixon's two frees which weren't there and he ends up with a goal and 10 touches. Trengove was far from bad.
Thought he said he was injured too?

May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics
]

He stands by his players and backs them at all costs, which is why he broke a 62 flag drought. Not really that hard to understand mate, people are in leadership positions for a reason. Being positive is one of them.
Are you actually Peter Gordon pulling some sort of Bryan Colangelo style burner account?

Should I find a new slant?

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
]

Hhahahahahahahhahahahah missed the Jake Stringer episode did you?

Or the “backing” he gave Roughead only last week?

Obviously it’s very hard to understand

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
]

He backs his players?? We have the most unsettled line up in the league.

At season’s end we could have at least 8 players from our grand final not on our list (M. Boyd, Murphy, Hamling, Stringer, Picken, Smith, Roughead, Morris). That’s not even considering maybes such as Biggs, Dahlhaus etc and Wallis.

We are a completely different unit than we were in 2016 (due to injuries and personnel changes as well as coaching structures) I just don’t think we should continue to link back this team to the grand final any longer.

As for backing his players that is a fallacy, we are constantly spinning the magnets across the park and the inclusions. We certainly don’t have a pick and stick attitude.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think Wallis' future is limited.

He's getting regularly towelled up in the clinches by bigger and faster players. If he's not at the feet of a dominant ruckman and the other team wins it he doesn't have much impact. Unless they run into him for him to tackle he's not catching them. He's a problem and is better off forward until time is called on him. And IMO he's shown a reluctance to kick in midfield preferring to hand off the ball and the responsibility.

I've asked the question of West as a draft proposition for the similar reasons. He's not that big so how fast is he? Wallis was talked up as a top 5 pick of his year? West likely to cost FA though in comparison (ie not first round).

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's off watching Shitney anyway

Yeah under my other name Johnny Dogg

Hahahahahahaha you make my day every day.

Have a great night I’m actually watching the World Cup preview show but thanks for caring about my viewing habits

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thought Bevo said Trengove played 100% game time. Fair effort.
Yeah it puts it in a different light. I don’t think Bevo was just standing by him. I think he would say if he wasn’t happy with the performance and say he had an excuse but he said superb so he was obviously happy. Tough day for him really.

Back